PDA

View Full Version : When did your Tranny die?

ltoolio
09-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm finding living with my 01XC is an experience pending doom.

With all that I have read on these boards on Tranny failures, I wait for mine to happen (have 70K on it currently), but all I get is the occasional flare between 2 & 3. Recently flushed the fluid and all seems to be good.

So - for those of you who had their's fail, when did your transmission drop?

philosophicaldreamer
09-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm finding living with my 01XC is an experience pending doom.

With all that I have read on these boards on Tranny failures, I wait for mine to happen (have 70K on it currently), but all I get is the occasional flare between 2 & 3. Recently flushed the fluid and all seems to be good.

So - for those of you who had their's fail, when did your transmission drop?

Judging on the basis of this board when your transmission is going to fail on your brick is like judging when you are going to die on the basis of the information you receive from your local trauma center--not a helpful thing to do. Enjoy your brick;)

Aviator
09-03-2007, 02:42 PM
With all that I have read on these boards on Tranny failures, I wait for mine to happen (have 70K on it currently), but all I get is the occasional flare between 2 & 3.

Get your B4 servo kit replaced and that should take care of the 2-3 shift flare. I did mine about a month ago, although my flare was only occurring about once a month; once apart, however, the servo cover had come apart as described in the many posts on this forum. Flush the trans oil also.

Dave.

dexter
09-03-2007, 05:25 PM
after the flare up, slippage and rough shifting, had the tranny checked out. no fault codes but in need of replacement. now it drives like a dream again.

ltoolio
09-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Get your B4 servo kit replaced and that should take care of the 2-3 shift flare. I did mine about a month ago, although my flare was only occurring about once a month; once apart, however, the servo cover had come apart as described in the many posts on this forum. Flush the trans oil also.

Dave.

I've been reading up on this a bit, and will probably give it a go. From the little bit of research I've done (15 mins or so), it appears to be a relatively cheap part ($15?) and the time to do it isn't outrageous (1-2.5 hours).

Is this a new finding? I've been on the boards since I bought it 3 years ago and can't seem to recall seeing anything on it until recently.

ltoolio
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Judging on the basis of this board when your transmission is going to fail on your brick is like judging when you are going to die on the basis of the information you receive from your local trauma center--not a helpful thing to do. Enjoy your brick;)

If only I wasn't such the worrier. Just ask my wife :)

Aviator
09-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I've been reading up on this a bit, and will probably give it a go. From the little bit of research I've done (15 mins or so), it appears to be a relatively cheap part ($15?) and the time to do it isn't outrageous (1-2.5 hours).

Is this a new finding? I've been on the boards since I bought it 3 years ago and can't seem to recall seeing anything on it until recently.

Someone posted a link to an excellent illustration not too long ago.....it was pretty much a description of how to do the replacement. It does take about 2 hrs to do.....NOT 10 minutes as JRL will tell you (at least not to do it right). You'll see the problem when you get the old servo cover out. The washer inside comes loose from its four staking points; the new style has the washer held in by an inside snap ring. The kit has a new servo cover, snap ring, 3 O rings (you replace the O ring on the piston too). Assemble the new kit exactly like the old, and lube the O rings with grease so you don't destroy them putting it all back together. Get a pair of right angle snap ring pliers too. It's not a difficult job....just awkward. Good luck !! The first couple of 2-3 shifts will feel odd until the oil gets behind the piston completely.....then it all smooths out nicely.

Dave.

MoeB
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Looks like I may have voted too early in this poll. The 2-3 shift on my '01 recently started getting rough, especially at low to moderate speeds, so I took it in for diagnosis. I was expecting it to be the B4 servo cover issue, but I was not so lucky. Dealer says ATF is burned (just flushed less than 20k miles ago) and it's new transmission time. Car has 65K miles on it now, so I guess mine would have been the lowest mileage to-date in this poll. :(

JRL
09-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Someone posted a link to an excellent illustration not too long ago.....it was pretty much a description of how to do the replacement. It does take about 2 hrs to do.....NOT 10 minutes as JRL will tell you (at least not to do it right).

Not true.
The DEALER only charges 1/2 hour labor.
It IS 10-15 minutes once it's on a lift, on a jackstand it will take longer

bwik
09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
125,000 miles on our original 2001 V70 XC tranny. No problems with it. It shifts fine and is running synthetic ATF of some kind.

Changed at 100,000 and flushed at 120,000. So it should be pretty clean now.

MoeB
09-07-2007, 07:37 PM
125,000 miles on our original 2001 V70 XC tranny. No problems with it. It shifts fine and is running synthetic ATF of some kind.

Do you know what brand of synthetic ATF is in yours?

blkdiamond
09-12-2007, 06:08 AM
I was finally able to find the dipstick for the tansmission (I can't believe where they put it). The fluid looks very good, and the level is fine. I recently purchased my '01 XC70 with 88k miles and I want to make sure that the transmission lasts as long as possible. I have no service records prior to purchasing it.

My first question is, is there any way to tell if the "stop-neutral" function has been disabled without taking it to Volvo, and my second question is what preventative maintenance can I do to keep the transmission running smooth? I do plan on flushing the transmission fluid and replacing it with Amsoil ATF fluid within the next 6 months.

MoeB
09-12-2007, 06:23 AM
To test for stop neutral function, come to a complete stop and after five seconds or so, slowly release the brake pedal and you should feel the trans re-engage if the routine is still present. You can also test it by coming to a complete stop and then moving the shifter into manual shift mode after five seconds or so. You should be able to feel the transmission re-engage if the stop neutral is present, since it is deactivated in manual shift mode.

funglenn
09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Sounds like impending doom is an overstatement..... they are aparently not all failing...what a surprise!

MoeB
09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
No, but an 11% failure rate before 100k miles isn't exactly a stellar example of longevity, either. Oh well, how does that saying go ..."not a scientific poll"? :D

realmlo
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
anyone have an idea of how much the 100,000 mile service might be

PDXXC
11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Our transmission is dead/dying at 55K miles ('02 XC) .....do I win a prize or something?!
Hopefully the long term warranty coverage will do it's part as promised....I'll update the list in a week or so with the outcome.

goldxc70
11-29-2007, 07:12 AM
I refuse to answer for fear of inviting problems [happy] In medieval times, it was thought unlucky to mention the devil for fear that He would consider it an invitation to come visit.

Anyway, the transmission in my 04 has 86,000 km (53,500 miles) is fine (touch wood, fingers crossed, sign of the cross, etc.).

PDXXC
12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow, 18% failure rate.....even for internet derived stats that's pretty high....

PDXXC
12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Down to a 17.5% failure rate.....

v70+xc70
12-27-2007, 03:03 AM
I'm not voting. Afraid to jinx myself

pelagikos
01-11-2008, 08:41 AM
There reason the failure rate is so high in this poll is that vast majority of folks who do not experience problems with their cars do not come to this site.

MoeB
01-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Specifically, the manual says "Inspect (Correct or Replace if necessary)" the ATF every 15k miles starting at 7.5k miles. Unfortunately, even if the fluid is "inspected" by the Volvo tech (I wonder), color and smell are prone to subjective interpretation, and "malfunction" may mean that the tranny is toast. The only way to properly inspect things is to get the fluid analyzed by a lab periodically, which will cost around $20-$60. Optionally, just put the money into changing the fluid.

PDXXC
01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
There reason the failure rate is so high in this poll is that vast majority of folks who do not experience problems with their cars do not come to this site.

Sure....keep believing that. I do realize that the numbers are skewed but that doesn't mean that they're not failure-prone. Also, my transmission didn't fail catastrophically, it just got sloppy shifting from R to D. I noticed it initially and blew it off, then I drove another XC and another and even a third, all without the same issue. If there had been a way to take the slop out of the system that was otherwise okay I would have gone for it but all account of remedies points to subsequent failure.

Rustpot
01-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Seems to me the word "fail" is quite subjective. The car still drives pretty normally aside from a few jitters, an occasional hard shift on a cold start, etc, that's not failed IMO.

I drove my Ford Taurus with every shift throwing you forward and back in your seat and the tranny would act up just about every day, but it still ran, still shifted and never "failed" on me. That had 78,000 miles when I got it, and after an ATF change and a few engine replacements was sold to a guy who claimed it ran smooth compared to his previous car.

My 2001 has 152,000 on the clock, and when I bought it the dealer ran the VIN and had nothing but regular service checkups, aside from small issues like a bulb or something. Since I got it, it needed a new starter ($500 after labor :eek:) and now an ignition coil and 5 spark plugs. It drives much better than my mom's brand new Nissan Altima. It may not be a stick of melted butter smooth, but it hasn't failed. I just need it to make it a year and a half until I graduate and can get good financing on an upgrade [thumbup].

PDXXC
01-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Subjectivity? Hardly. More like expectation.
Sorry, but when I plonk down $40K US for a car I expect the transmission to remain rock-solid for many more than 53000 miles and I would hope (not realized here) that this would be a concern to Volvo.
Based on Volvo's non-chalant attitude during this difficulty I'll likely not purchase another. Hell it took two trips to the dealer and about $100 of software upgradses (not necessary) before the dealer would accept the fact that something wasn't right.
I guess I have high(er) expectations....

bigwoodenradio
01-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Our 2001 XC70's transmission failed (under frightening circumstances) at 51K.
Volvo new we were dealing with my father's having just died that day in a hospice 1,800 miles from home. That drama aside, we had to pay for the tow and then pay full price for a rehabbed-reconditioned tranny. Over 6 grand. They told us they never install factory new transmissions, only factory rebuilt...which should suggest that they appear to have a steady supply to sell as reconditioned....so suckers or people sucker punched by grief. We paid. The installed. We picked up the car and drove it home from Maine to Iowa.
It seemed quite clunky when coming to slow stops, a pronounced Ker-THUNK at the end. We were told this was the new old tranny just breaking in. No worries. Until we took it into Chicago for the settling of my father's affairs, and the transmission leaked buckets, had to be towed. The reconditioned tranny was found to have been defectively 'repaired' and would need new seals to be seated. A week later, we get the car back...no compensation for car rentals, air flights, lodging, and extra expenses, and not even an offer of extending the warrantee on the defective transmission that they refused to replace and only agreed to repair.

Calls. Calls. Calls to VNA. Calls to dealers. Calls to VMA.

Lot's of snotty folks from corporate who clearly didn't give a good rats ass about the car or us as customers.

Months of calls eventually got them to repay us for two days of rental care useage and one of the four long distance tows that were required.

Now we just get their schlock mailings about buying a new one.

Yeah. Sure. But I think our next Volvo is going to be the kind that works.
They're called Subarus.

MGC
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
142000 and going strong. Have done regular flushing. Mostly freeway driving.

Morrie

xc4life
02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
around 65k.
that was the end of the car under my ownership.

gr8cr
03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
my 2003 xc70 has 207,000 miles!
It still drives like new.

brianc2112
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I picked up my baby about a month ago from a Chevy Stealership. Four days later I called the local Volvo Stealership to see how much a tranny flush costs. They took down my VIN and then told me that my car had been in to their shop last October and that it needed a new tranny.

After doing some looking around, I took it to another Volvo dealership. The test drove it with me and said there was nothing wrong with the tranny. I then bought a 3 year 36000 mile warranty from them just in case.

Thanks,
Brian

PierreC
04-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I picked up my baby about a month ago from a Chevy Stealership. Four days later I called the local Volvo Stealership to see how much a tranny flush costs. They took down my VIN and then told me that my car had been in to their shop last October and that it needed a new tranny.

After doing some looking around, I took it to another Volvo dealership. The test drove it with me and said there was nothing wrong with the tranny. I then bought a 3 year 36000 mile warranty from them just in case.

Thanks,
Brian

Flush it anyway - check the Gibbons method - works like a charm but it helps to have an assistant, patience and not be rushed. Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type T-IV will do fine - its the same as the expensive Volvo banded ATF ...

santon
04-05-2008, 06:45 AM
My car has 270,000 km. 03 xc70. did the tranny flush yesterday. called the dealer the guy before me took it to and they said they didnt change the tranny fluid they dont change them as they are lifetime. anyhow, i changed it anyways, the 270,000km old fluid was black, however it wasnt sludge or anything of that nature, just black but stil very much oil. I picked up the toyota fluid from a dealership in Toronto for 5.89 a liter. ran 12 liters fluid. the tranny does feel smoother I think, or it can all be in my head.

the magnetic drain had some very little sludge on it, nothing major and thats after 270k.

uscgc70
05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Well apparently i voted too soon. mine is at the dealer right now at 99,700 getting a new trans. i'm a little upset, but i kind of expected it.

RichS
05-08-2008, 07:06 AM
The transmission on my 2002 XC70 was pronounced "failed" by the dealer at 49,500 miles. The car was out of warranty since it was purchased new 5.5 years earlier. (We live in the city - so think lots of short trips, stop lights and gear-shifting(!)).

I decided to approach Volvo NA on this one (based on what I read in this and other forums). I was told by the dealer to purchase the software upgrade since I was told "that is the thing Volvo NA will ask you to do".

Volvo NA agreed to split the cost of the transmission replacement with me, the dealer agreed to use "warranty rates" for labor and Volvo NA mailed me a '30% off' parts rebate coupon (rebate limited to $200 US) as a way of compensating for the "software upgrade" I purchased. To me a software upgrade implies that the original software is somehow "defective". Why else would it need 'upgrading'?

The repair still cost over $2000US. Naturally, I am questioning the 'old school' philosophy of hanging onto a car 'until the wheels fall off' and instead thinking that the way to go is to 'trade the car in once the warranty expires'.

FWIW, I believe my case to Volvo NA was stengthened by the fact that I had all service since the car was new done at one of two different Volvo dealers and by the fact that I had "followed the manufacturer's service recommendations" and NOT drained or flushed the transmission fluid.

In any event, the car is running fine now (so far) and I have been receiving solicitations for extended warranty plans in the mail. Perfect timing, eh?

shipd
05-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I bought my 02 V70XC at 49K miles a few months ago, did notice a little rough when shifting, but getting worse during the last few months. When I took the car in for a service I had them look at the trans too and it came back as need to be replaced...thank god for extended warranty. Is it normal they give you a re-manufactured unit for replacement?

RichS
05-09-2008, 06:09 AM
I bought my 02 V70XC at 49K miles a few months ago, did notice a little rough when shifting, but getting worse during the last few months. When I took the car in for a service I had them look at the trans too and it came back as need to be replaced...thank god for extended warranty. Is it normal they give you a re-manufactured unit for replacement?

Yes - this is what I was told. The cust. care rep. at Volvo NA (I think he was a supervisor) stated that the outer housing/case was 'used' but that the internal components were 'new'. He said I would essentially receive a 'new' transmission. I doubt there is any other option, myself. I am glad you have the warranty!

billr99
07-02-2008, 05:48 AM
To me a software upgrade implies that the original software is somehow "defective". Why else would it need 'upgrading'?

30 years in IT tells me your statement should be correct. However, I would say that the real world demonstrates daily that software "upgrades" are the norm. Just look at Windows as a perfect example with monthly upgrades provided by Microsoft. Its a sad state of affairs for sure, but it would be a mistake to think that software used in a car is any different than software used in the computer that you use to read this forum in regard to a level of quality.

Cheers,

Bill

yminkc
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Our transmission was replaced in September 2005 on our 2001 V70XC with 39,000 miles on it. It was shifting funny and still under warranty. We took it to Superior Volvo in Kansas City, MO, and the tech said there was a problem, but since it was still under warranty, they just replaced the whole transmission and sent it back to Volvo.

RichS
07-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Of course - I have come to accept the inevitability of software "updates", too. My issue is that of responsibility or ownership of the problem. What if Microsoft were to charge each of us for every update to XP? That's what Volvo does. Or maybe I just need to re-adjust my attitude and see the software update as 'free' but there is $200+ service charge to "install" it ...

30 years in IT tells me your statement should be correct. However, I would say that the real world demonstrates daily that software "upgrades" are the norm. Just look at Windows as a perfect example with monthly upgrades provided by Microsoft. Its a sad state of affairs for sure, but it would be a mistake to think that software used in a car is any different than software used in the computer that you use to read this forum in regard to a level of quality.

Cheers,

Bill

PDXXC
07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
The BS about the software "upgrade" is that the first step in diagnosing transmission issues is to instal the new software upgrade. That's pure BS. The car works or it doesn't. If you can determine that there is a problem by following a simple fault diagnosis flow chart WTF would you instal the software first? I had to pay a software upgrade fee despite the fact that the transmission needed to be replaced...which it was, under extended warranty...Why shoul I have to pay extra for something that is necessary to make the car operate correctly/safely? It's plain and simple money making and it's one of the main reasons I loathe Volvo NA and the dealer where we purchased the vehicle.

BigC
07-10-2008, 06:39 AM
My relationship with beloved '02 XC is under pressure because of transmission problems! I had some problems whilst still under warrantee, which was "fixed" by the agents. About 6 months later, outside of the warrantee, the sad end came. It cost me ±USD2500, for repairs, not replacement, and simply no help from Volvo!
The car, however, diverted my attention from this by demanding a new radiator the next month.
Yet, I suppose I shall forgive and forget. The last trip to and from a game reserve some 350 Kms away returned me 8.9 litres/100Km, which is remarkable for a big car cruising at 120Kms/hr

PierreC
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
The last trip to and from a game reserve some 350 Kms away returned me 8.9 litres/100Km, which is remarkable for a big car cruising at 120Kms/hr

BigC

I also had to replace the radiator on my 2002 XC at about 110.000km!

... and I NEVER had fuel consumption this good! Wow! How did you do it?

billr99
07-20-2008, 04:22 AM
The last trip to and from a game reserve some 350 Kms away returned me 8.9 litres/100Km, which is remarkable for a big car cruising at 120Kms/hr

Not to change the intent of this thread, but to make a note on the subject of the quote above. I am in the midst of a house-hunting/moving trip to Nova Scotia. Yesterday I went from North Bay, ON to Edmunston, NB a distance of about 900 kms and averaged, according to the trip computer, 9.2l/100kms (or 25.5mpg (US)). Not bad for having the rack on with the Thule-like SportRack packed full with about 200 pounds of junk, a back end filled with 75 bottles of wine (movers won't take this stuff they claim), and the rear end compressed down about 1.5 inches on the suspension so that the stance of the vehicle is totally honked. Oh, and the average speed, according to the trip computer, is so far, 104kms/hr mostly on divided highway. I do know I have a slight inaccuracy here as both my average speed and distance is a bit different on my Garmin but using those number in the calculations would show slightly better results. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

BTW, if someone want to move this to a more appropriate thread or out on its own, I'm cool with that.

Thanks,

Bill

BigC
07-21-2008, 07:18 AM
BigC

... and I NEVER had fuel consumption this good! Wow! How did you do it?

Hi Pierre,
It was extremely light trafic J'burg to Aldam and back long weekend 16th June, only SWAMBO (She Who Must Always Be Obeyed) and I. Hardly ever needed to accellerate or brake. Most unusual for N1!

Mink
07-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi Pierre,
It was extremely light trafic J'burg to Aldam and back long weekend 16th June, only SWAMBO (She Who Must Always Be Obeyed) and I. Hardly ever needed to accellerate or brake. Most unusual for N1!

Based on my experience driving back from CT to Durban, I think 8.9 is quite possible. What really kills consumption is surging up hills and overtaking. In the city is another story, though. Struggle to get better than 13 unless there's some freeway driving. BTW, we were amazed at how little traffic there was on the N1 from CT to Bloem - I think the recent fuel price increases are responsible.

PierreC
07-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Pierre,

Wow! Even under light traffic but not the same conditions, I don't get this kind of fuel consumption. BTW, is yours the 2.5 litre engine -- 2003 onwards -- or the earlier 2.4? Mine is the 2.4 with the viscous AWD coupling -- I suspect that the newer engine and Haldex may have something do do with fuel lower consumtion? Or maybe I just have a heavy right foot?

BigC, Mink ... maybe we should start a South Africa thread?? Places we've taken our CX's too (or is it vice versa?) ... like up Sani pass. Service experiences and dealer BS [I can tell a few horror stories e.g. see the tread "I am beyond furious ..." as an example] and so forth. Or, how I managed to get Volvo SA to honour a factory recall on my 11 year old 850 for a recall that they had not even announced in South Africa ...

Mink
07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
BigC, Mink ... maybe we should start a South Africa thread?? Places we've taken our CX's too (or is it vice versa?) ... like up Sani pass. Service experiences and dealer BS [I can tell a few horror stories e.g. see the tread "I am beyond furious ..." as an example] and so forth. Or, how I managed to get Volvo SA to honour a factory recall on my 11 year old 850 for a recall that they had not even announced in South Africa ...
Excellent idea [thumbup] I think we've probably strayed too far on this thread (wanneer het jou trannie gevrek?). If you post a thread about your stealer experiences, we can add to it. I'll post a trip report on my 10k drive around SA and Nam over Christmas, and you guys can post your adventures. Other ideas?

brianc2112
10-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I filled out the poll a number of months ago and now my transmission had died. How can I change my poll entry? Has this problem happened to anyone else?

MoeB
10-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes it happened to me. No you can't change your answer in the poll (not that it's important...everybody knows the '01 trannys are crap).