PDA

View Full Version : Possible Alternator Noise

Aviator
09-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Anyone know if noise is a common problem with alternators on an '02 XC ? I'm getting a sort of whine/light howl at idle and under acceleration. Nothing unbearable, but it does make the engine sound like a large jet engine (low frequency whine). I pinpointed the noise using a screwdriver as a stethescope, first on the PS pump, and then on the alternator. Almost sounds like bearing noise. Thanx !!

Dave.

reckka
08-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Any luck on this issue - I have the exact same noise on my '99V70XC (160k KM)?

Aviator
08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes, it was the alternator. I was changing the accessory belt tensioner, so while it was off it gave me the chance to spin the alternator pulley......voila!! Really rough sounding and making a very annoying whining sound with the engine running. The dealer wanted over $600 (my cost) for a new one but, ironically, recommended an electric shop down the road from them that they use a lot:confused:. I brought the alternator over on a Tuesday, and picked it up the next day; it cost me $99.69. Installed it and all was silent!!!!! It sounded like a power steering pump whine (like when low on oil), but the noise didn't change when turning the wheels back and forth, so that's what got me thinking about the alternator. The car is SO quiet now, you could have a whisper conversation next to it while it's running!!

Dave.

reckka
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Dave:

Thanks for that - I brought mine into the local dealer to get the timing belt changed and at the same time asked them to look into the whinning noise. They couldn't pin point it, which suprised me, its very loud. They thought it might be coming from either the alternator (which I had suggested), the A/C compressor , or an idler bearing or some combination of all three. Fixes ranging from $200 - $700 ++. Needless to say totally unimpressed.

I'm bringing it to an Independent dealer in Montreal (Carrosserie Euro) on Monday. I'm convinced its the Alternator. Fingers crossed!!