PDA

View Full Version : Strange Bulb Action!

Puff The Magic Wagon!
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I've got the Bi-Xenon's on my 05 but recently the dipped beam on my (UK!) driver's side has started to play up.

I might accelerate hard or brake hard or go round a corner hard or even just be driving along when all of a sudden the light goes out and I get a warning on the dash.

Change the switch to Park Light then back and it comes back on fine again :confused:

But then sometimes it goes again, then comes back of it's own accord.

Sometimes nothing happens (like today's 150 miles) but other times its off/on/off/on/off/on like a stripper's braziere!

It smacks to me of a lose connection rather than a bulb going and possibly a connection that has water in it.

Anyone had anything simillar and what was the cause?

Loathe to buy a new bulb when a bit of WD40 might do!

Thanks

JRL
08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Again here,
You have an 05, this is all warranty stuff, bring it to the dealer

Aviator
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
It smacks to me of a lose connection rather than a bulb going and possibly a connection that has water in it.

Have you tried thumping the lamp with your fist when the lights are on ? If the lamp flickers or goes out, then you are probably in the right area for the problem.......the apple never falls far from the tree !!

Dave.

Puff The Magic Wagon!
09-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Unfortunately my 05 is an Oct 04 with 120K miles on the clock LOL

Its been dry (!! in England in August!!) for the last couple of days so hasn't happened :rolleyes:

KeatB
09-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Try speaking to dealer - faulty light connection isn't mileage related so 120k shouldn't be a problem as less than 3 years old they will certainly make a contribution.

I've always found Volvo warranty to be great - I guess that's why the cars and servicing is so ridiculously expensive!

Aviator
09-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Try speaking to dealer - faulty light connection isn't mileage related so 120k shouldn't be a problem

Yes, faulty connections are mileage related. This car is out of its warranty period. If all cars came in for faulty connection problems after warranty expiration, all the techs would be losing their shirts on those jobs !! Not to mention the whole service department !!

Dave.

Puff The Magic Wagon!
10-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Must get it to the dealer :rolleyes:

The other day I had a "multiple headlight failure" ( :confused: ) which meant that the self-levellers didn't!! They just decided to point at the tarmac :eek: On a dual carriageway at night and all I'm lighting up is the road 2 ft in front of the car!

Pulled over, engine off, engine on & lights working again...