PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Ah a new challenge

idamanjax
08-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi all, just bought a 146k silver 2000XC SE a couple of weeks ago. The car was just in great shape with an interior that did not look very used. Even though there are horror stories on the boards, I just had to realize that I am going to get this with any car I purchase. One of the factors for my go ahead with this vehicle was the enormous amount of resources within the volvo community.

As with all used cars I purchase I make sure that all maintenace is done within the first month.

So far I have replaced all 4 tires with the new Toyo Versado LX (205-55-16) with requisite alignment.

I have switched out numerous dash light bulbs for the switches as well as the tranny shifter light. Thanks Bay13.

Also replaced the old 813 radio with an old Alpine 9820XM sitting in a closet. The sound just from replacing the headunit is fantastic. Very clean install.

The used car dealer warrantied the AC system 100% for the first 3 months before purchase. During the test drive and again on the delivery I noticed that the air would not blow as cold after about thirty minutes of driving. Usually just for a minute or two and always after turning off and back on. Usually late afternoon stop and go. Thanks again to the volvo forums that pointed out this was due to the AC clutch not engaging the compressor. The compressor was replaced on Tuesday and my mechanic confirmed it was the clutch on the old compressor. Since the replacement have not had a problem. In fact, I need to keep the fan at just above 0 to avoid frostbite.

During the same day the mechanic also fixed my rear wiper. It seems that the wires from the front of the car do not have enough slack from opening and closing the tailgate and over time this will cause the rear wiper to stop working. My mech said Volvo came out with a replacement wiring kit that addressed this very problem. 20 minutes later, I have a rear wiper again. Also covered by the used car dealer.

I have my mech coming back next week to perform the 150k service minus the air and cabin filters which I did. I even showed him the writeup on replacing the bevel gear fluid which he will do as well. Will post again when this is complete with the results. I have a feeling I will be a regular here...

Ken from RI
08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the XC world. Enjoy the car! [thumbup]