PDA

View Full Version : Help - Brake Pedal Travel

xcaley
08-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I have just changed the pads on the front and the pedal travel has since increased.

Before movement 1/2"; now 1.5" to 2"?

System not opened so there should not be any air?

Why is this and how can it be fixed? Any body come across this before?

Brake system fluid changed 6 months ago and brakes set up by dealer.

XC 70

2000/1

mbsl98
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Sounds a lot like you don't have enough fluid left in the master cylinder. When you put the new pads in, you would have compressed the pistons back into the calipers, which displaces fluid from the MC. If you didn't suction some fluid out beforehand, some probably was pushed out and just overflowed. Give the level a check at least, as teh easiest fix. If fluid is actually low, you may also have introduced air into the system, but i think it would have to be really low for that. If plenty of fluid, have you tried heavy pumping of pedal with motor running? Long travel is common just after the change, but will normally pump up to right height if there is enough fluid available.

JRL
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Bleed The Brakes

dlr97
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I agree; pushing in the calipers to install the new pads may have allowed a small amount of air to leak past the caliper seals. Bleed the brakes and see if the pedal remains high; if not then you may need new caliper seals.

Aviator
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree; pushing in the calipers to install the new pads may have allowed a small amount of air to leak past the caliper seals. Bleed the brakes and see if the pedal remains high; if not then you may need new caliper seals.

That sounds good.....you can have air enter a brake system, and not have fluid escape. This happened on my father's '99 Corolla a few years ago.....bled off the front brakes and the pedal height returned to specifications.

Dave.

xcaley
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks will check for air

howardc64
08-23-2007, 04:55 PM
I put the retaining spring back on but didn't tension it against the caliper.

Result, less stopping power, longer pedal travel. The calipers is basically mounted only on one side when this mistake is made.

I could chalk it up to inexperience but I found someone else made the same exact mistake :)