PDA

View Full Version : How often do you replace your tires

sendwongy1
10-03-2002, 01:21 AM
Hey guys,

I just had my first 7500km tire rotation and balance. When I was washing the car today I noticed the front tires which have been rotated to the back had a lot more wear. I was wondering how long will these scorpions last. I am planning to upgrade to some 17inch wheels. But want to wait till these ones wear out.

Eugene

littlewaywelt
10-03-2002, 07:53 AM
I have been pretty careful about maintaining proper inflation and have had my scorpions rotated at all of the recomended services.
My tires are now down to the wear indicators at approx 38k miles.  I have had my 01 xc for just over two years. I have a new set of scorpions that i purchased from tire rack.com for about $60 each. I will have them installed next week.
ian

Falron
10-04-2002, 12:38 AM
Sendwongy1,

I have just replaced my tyres after 43000 Km.

I had the alignment checked (yet again) but this time the tyre retailer took some time and did a 4 wheel alignment. The rear drivers side was out. I have had a scrubbing problem since the car was new - despite my taking the vehicle back to be corrected, the dealer (Austral) do not seem to have staff with the required skill to diagnose and correct this problem. In fact the mechanic had said " thats normal ".

I now expect approx 65000 km out of the new tyres.

I suggest that you have the alignment checked correctly in case you are suffering from a similar problem. It might save you some money. In short, I wouldn't trust the dealer to get it right.

sendwongy1
10-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Hey Falcron,

Are you with Austral Volvo Brisbane.

Eugene

Falron
10-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Sendwongy1,

Yes,  Austral Volvo, Brisbane.

sendwongy1
10-05-2002, 11:34 PM
I am from Brisbane too. The service boys at Austral are great, John, David and Daniel are always very helpful. I just got my car serviced by them last week, they did alignment, and 7500km rotation.

Btw, is there a Cross country club in Brisbane.

Eugene

Falron
10-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Sendwongy1,

Yes the guys at the service desk are a friendly bunch - but its those who do the work on the cars that make the difference.

Sadly its not the first time i've had trouble with Austral - when I had a Range Rover they tried to charge me almost $2000.00 for a worn steering box " it needs a complete overhaul " instead I spent $30.00 on a workshop manual and adjusted the backlash according to specifications - steering box perfect, took less than five minutes.  

Like anything it depends on who does the work and what skill, experience, and motivation they have. Sadly, lots of good experiences can be soured by one bad. In my case three times the car has been aligned by them ( not including pre-delivery )and not once had the problem been fixed - In fact the existance of a problem was flatly denied. I get very annoyed when I spend $70,000 on a car and the staff try and fob you off.  

My wifes old 760 was serviced by a Swedish guy who knew Volvos inside out - in fact he is a Volvo snob - I once asked him to look at my Saab but he refused - he said he didn't like Saabs much and I should get rid of it! But he sure fixed the 760, after a service by him it drove like a new car!

I am not aware of a XC Club in Brisbane although there is a Volvo club - but I am not a member.

Vince

sendwongy1
10-09-2002, 06:23 PM
Hey Vince,

I understand your frustration. Sometimes you have to have to carry on and make a big fuss before things can be doone in Australia.  With your alignment issue, was you car towing towards the left. Because I think my alignment is towing towards the left slightyly. I am planning to take it back to the boys at Austral to have a look.  As the the workshop people, Daniel is the one in charge in the workshop. Next time if you have any issues, maybe have a chat to him. He's a very nice chap and knows his Volvo's inside out as well.  By the way, what's the name of this swedish guy you are talking about. Does he have a workshop in Brisbane? Do you have his contact? Maybe we could start an XC club in Brisbane     http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

Eugene

Falron
10-11-2002, 08:07 AM
Sendwongy1,

The name of the Swedish guy who serviced my wifes car is Kel. His business name is Scandi Auto. I like this guy, he says exactly what he thinks - talk to him and he will tell you what to buy, why, and how much.

I like the idea of a XC club in Brisbane - but I have to admit that in between business and family commitments I am not sure I can help much. Perhaps a get together at a suitable location.
I have many favorites - Double Island Point, Mt Mee, Noosa, Jimna etc.

Or maybe correspondance with the Volvo Club.

With regards to the alignment problem - yes the car was towing to the left very slightly. What appears to have happened is that subsequent to my complaint - Austral adjusted the front alignment to try and correct a problem with the rear. The result was less pull but lots of tyre wear. Like I said not once did anyone from Austral say anything that made sense - as for complaining, John ducks every time I enter the service centre> I know he is doing his job (and I like the guy) but why should anyone have to put up with ####. I will seek out Daniel and ensure that he understands what is expected. Like many dealers the staff they employ are not the best just what is available.
In the case of Austral they market Holden, Mazda, LandRover, Rover VW, Porshe, Jaguar, Volvo, and Honda ( have I missed One?).

sendwongy1
10-12-2002, 02:21 AM
Hey Vince,

I had the alignment issue corrected but not by Volvo. I looked at my receipt and they actually only did a rotation and balance but no alignment (even though I asked for 1).  As a result I went to Bob Jane at Mcgregor and they said my alignment was out on one of the back wheels.  But there was something in the front that cannot be adjusted during the alignment (can't remember what it was).  The car seems to drive good now. But aparently, the service man at Bob Jane said that even if the alignment setting were correct that the car can still pull towards the left when driving on the road. So I dunno.  As for Austral I think you didn't miss any. They just bought Jaguar a few weeks ago, and I think Volvo are planning to build a big dealership next door where their car yard is.  But I have to agree that some of the people Austral employs are idiots. The boys at the service department can be quite rough with the cars as well.  

Eugene