PDA

View Full Version : optima battery

papaquebec
07-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I am thinking of putting an Optima battery in my xc, does anyone know which one I need (red, yellow or blue)?

Thank you,
Patrick

Aviator
07-29-2007, 06:09 PM
I would think whichever one meets the requirements of the vehicle !!

Dave.

sejman
08-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I just replaced mine with an Interstate (MTP-H6) which is an exact fit - looks like a clone except color/label (even has the folding integrated lifting handles). I would imagine that anything other than an exact fit would be difficult to install - it is a tight fit and the hold-down bracket will not tolerate any dimensional changes.

tranmkp
08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I run red tops in all our volvos - 850 - 945 and the xc70 - works great -

plus if you run the down they dont tend to die as fast -

papaquebec
08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
The red Optima fits in the battery area on the xc? Did you have to make any mods?

Thanks,
Patrick

SwimP
08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I am also considering an Optima spiral cell battery for my 2005 V70 T5 but I can't seem to find any good info regarding what needs to be done to make it fit. The Optima application guide says that they don't make a battery to fit my car but I find that hard to believe. Should I get a red top? yellow top? Also, I am expecting that some custom bracket work might be needed, but I like to see if anyone has been down this road before before I try to reinvent the wheel.

Tyrant11429
08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Try the new diehard platinum the best AGM battery out there, kicks optima's you know what and gives you a 4 yr free replacement and 8yr prorated, plus 880 cca or 990 cca if you can fit a 65 group size in a volvo lol, One thing though they weight a TON, like 3 times the weight of a regular battery and twice the weight of a optima

tranmkp
08-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Try the new diehard platinum the best AGM battery out there, kicks optima's you know what and gives you a 4 yr free replacement and 8yr prorated, plus 880 cca or 990 cca if you can fit a 65 group size in a volvo lol, One thing though they weight a TON, like 3 times the weight of a regular battery and twice the weight of a optima

Hmmm, Might look into that - here in Texas - the batteries really cook - Ive been lucky to have been able to squeeze over 5 years out of one optima. Ill look into the sears unit - after all agm is agm. On the 745 I put on one of those thermal blanket/heat shield - Seems to keep the heat away from it.

NO mods to the baton the xc - Ill get the model # if you like.

goldxc70
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I am thinking of putting an Optima battery in my xc, does anyone know which one I need (red, yellow or blue)?

Thank you,
Patrick

IIRC, Optima red top is recommended for normal automotive applications. The yellow and blue tops are for deep discharge situations. Also, the battery Volvo recommends for my MY04 XC70 is 600A/115 min. While the Optima red tops have higher CCA, none of the red tops (and only some of the blue and yellow tops) have the required reserve.

gibbons
07-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I just put a red top in my 68 Chevelle. It spins the 468 cubic inch, 500hp engine like a dremel tool. I can't see why an XC needs a large reserve, it it doesn't start with a flick of the key, there's something wrong besides a battery spec....

goldxc70
07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I just put a red top in my 68 Chevelle. It spins the 468 cubic inch, 500hp engine like a dremel tool. I can't see why an XC needs a large reserve, it it doesn't start with a flick of the key, there's something wrong besides a battery spec....

You mean that carefully maintained and much loved Chevelle? The one that you carefully put away before those tough Utah winters begin? Hee hee.

Anyway, I was just pointing out the discrepancy and speculate that this is why the Optima Application Guide does not even list Volvo.

gibbons
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
You mean that carefully maintained and much loved Chevelle? The one that you carefully put away before those tough Utah winters begin? Hee hee.

Anyway, I was just pointing out the discrepancy and speculate that this is why the Optima Application Guide does not even list Volvo.

The Chevelle put me away last winter! I was in the unheated back garage all winter (usually 20 degrees f) with the motor pulled out, converting from auto to 5speed, changing the cooling system, etc. Part of that was installing electric fans. A recent 100 degree day had them both running full amperage, and the alternator/battery couldn't keep up. The battery died, so I put in the red top. Problem solved!

goldxc70
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
The Chevelle put me away last winter! I was in the unheated back garage all winter (usually 20 degrees f) with the motor pulled out, converting from auto to 5speed, changing the cooling system, etc. Part of that was installing electric fans. A recent 100 degree day had them both running full amperage, and the alternator/battery couldn't keep up. The battery died, so I put in the red top. Problem solved!

There is nothing I hate more than working on machinery in the cold :( As well as the discomfort, I think it reminds me of my younger days when I had to work on cars in the cold to get them working or keep them running. The thoughts of lying on cold wet roads or garage floors almost makes me nauseous.

Anyhow, glad you solved your problem. It also sounds like an endorsement for the Optima about which I've only ever heard good things.

4MUL8R
11-14-2008, 02:58 AM
I could not find an specific recommendation at the Optima website for Volvo 850 / S70. But, in a press release they gave, another website stated that group 34R was designed for European cars and 850 was listed as an application.