PDA

View Full Version : Help Convince Me to buy '02 XC

08-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Hi.. I am about 1 week away from a purchase. Looking at the potential vehicles that I am looking at below you will think I'm crazy and all over the map. Here they are:

Volvo XC
Acura MDX
Range Rover Discover II
Toyota Sequoa
Lexus RX300 & Explorer (eliminated)

As you can see a range of vehicles with a common theme. I need a 3rd back seat for little kids. I want interior comforts, I want a good looking vehicle, need AWD. On trips need to carry a lot of stuff (2 kids, 1 big dog, box carrier on top, bikes off of a trailer hitch in back).

The bigger trucks above can do this.. but I also think the XC can do this the 2-4 times a year I need to do a big haul. Here is why I think I am leaning for the XC. Had many years of pathfinders, tahoe's etc.. and looking for a change. I am under the impression (driving it this week) that the XC is fast.. turbo etc.. that perhaps I can have a semi fast sedan and semi off roader at the same time (ala the BMW x5?)... so can the XC crank me solo through the mountain twisties witht eh music blasting... and haul all the crap on the family vacation.

One last question (AND SORRY FOR THE LONG POST).. how well does the XC do on the beach oversand (soft sand)? Hoping to use a different vehicle for that .. but I may have the occasional need.

Ok.. help me decide http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif thanks. !!!! --Bob

Gundo
08-05-2002, 11:37 AM
I don't know if you'll be doing any cranking on mountain twisties in an XC, but you'll be going faster than in a sport ute.

I'll offer my opinions on each of the vehicles you are considering:

Acura MDX - based on an Honda Accord platform, nice strong engine, ineffective 4WD system, smallish on the inside.

Range Rover Discover II - quality concerns.  Even with a BMW engine management systems and numerous upgrades, now that they are owned by Ford, expect to see investment in quality decrease.  Noisy and rough road ride.  At 70 mph, they are noisy and uncomfortable.

Toyota Sequoa - huh?  I would stay away, its basically a sport ute on top of the Toyota T100 pickup.  Very similar to the Tahoe you had before, but with less power.

Lexus RX300 - the Lexus is a bit overpriced and impractical for somewith with 2 kids and dog - consider the Toyota Highlander instead - same vehicle, different badging.  Overall good quality, but underpowered and "wimpy" looking IMHO.

The XC has many plusses - safety and reliability among them.  Others that have considered purchase have thought of the BMW 530 Wagon or the Audi Allroad wagon.  Both are $10K to $15K more expensive and smaller.

XC reliability should be above average, the loks are distinct and cost of ownership is relatively low.

And, Volvo's boast the most comfortable seats on the market - they really are fantastic.

johndoe
08-05-2002, 03:46 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Guest @ Aug. 05 2002,12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi.. I am about 1 week away from a purchase. Looking at the potential vehicles that I am looking at below you will think I&#39;m crazy and all over the map. Here they are:

Volvo XC
Acura MDX
Range Rover Discover II
Toyota Sequoa
Lexus RX300 &amp; Explorer (eliminated)

As you can see a range of vehicles with a common theme. I need a 3rd back seat for little kids. I want interior comforts, I want a good looking vehicle, need AWD. On trips need to carry a lot of stuff (2 kids, 1 big dog, box carrier on top, bikes off of a trailer hitch in back).

The bigger trucks above can do this.. but I also think the XC can do this the 2-4 times a year I need to do a big haul. Here is why I think I am leaning for the XC. Had many years of pathfinders, tahoe&#39;s etc.. and looking for a change. I am under the impression (driving it this week) that the XC is fast.. turbo etc.. that perhaps I can have a semi fast sedan and semi off roader at the same time (ala the BMW x5?)... so can the XC crank me solo through the mountain twisties witht eh music blasting... and haul all the crap on the family vacation.

One last question (AND SORRY FOR THE LONG POST).. how well does the XC do on the beach oversand (soft sand)? Hoping to use a different vehicle for that .. but I may have the occasional need.

Ok.. help me decide http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif thanks. &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; --Bob[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I just went through what you are going through, pound for pound and dollar for dollar I found that the only true competitor for the xc is the MDX ( or the less expensive Honda Pilot). I looked at all the cars you looked at and some others, MB ml470, Audi, Cadillac escalade, Chevy Avalanche I too have been driving SUVs since 1986, (86 jeep cherokee, 89 mitsubishi montero, 93 mazda MPV 4wd, 97 ford expedition, 99 infiniti qx4) I wanted to get better fuel economy, a better ride and have 4wd and the space a SUV offers, the XC was the choice. The only other vehicle to consider is the Audi 4wd wagon.
I&#39;ve had my car 5 days and am still learning it&#39;s nuances but so far I love it&#33; The seats are my favorite component, blows away the seat in my MB. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

good luck in your search

08-06-2002, 12:42 AM
Funny you mention the MDX. &nbsp;The MDX and XC were the 2 finalists before we bought our Ocear Race XC 3 months ago. &nbsp;What tipped the scales:

XC, much more personality, way better colors, way better interior quality. &nbsp;

The MDX interior quality is similar to a Subaru Outback -- not that it&#39;s bad but we&#39;re comaring a car in the mid 20s to one in the high 30s. &nbsp;

The MDX doesn&#39;t appear to wear as well.

MDX back seat space is less than XC.

MDX is nice w/ 3rd row, &nbsp;and space w/ everything folded down, but this will be quite rare when the XC w/ rocket box won&#39;t suffice.

Finally, the MDX is a very practical tool, but boring, more mini-van-ish. &nbsp;The XC is more lux., up market, looks, quiet, transmission shifts smoother, etc.

MDX might have a bit higher resale.

1Lieutenant
08-06-2002, 04:33 PM
One thing I would think about.

If you are going to use the third row of seats alot, I would get the MDX. &nbsp;They face forward which is a huge advantage for those that might get motion sickness.

Other than that, I would get the XC. &nbsp;Japanese cars are extremely dependable, but extremely boring. I speak from experience.

Steve

Ron3KL
08-11-2002, 06:43 AM
The only one of those available in Australia (other than the Explorer that you&#39;ve already ruled out) is the Discovery, although some of the others may have different names.

We looked at it also and based on other owner&#39;s comments decided to stay well clear because of the quality concerns. Comments like &quot;Its spent more time in the workshop than on the road&quot; are not encouraging. One guy who really loved his Discovery now drives an Outback.