PDA

View Full Version : changing foglights to amber-can it be done?

havesome
07-18-2007, 08:16 PM
hey volvo people its probably been asked before but i have not seen it as of yet but.... can you change the fog lights to amber? if so is it a bulb change or a lens change-tell me your secrets

nzoliver
07-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Howdy, would think it is a bulb. The colour used in France and other places is called duplo yellow. [happy]

Aviator
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
What you have now is driving lights. They will become fog lights when they become amber. Also, I would try to replace the lenses for proper effect.....not just the bulbs. Whether or not you can get amber lenses from Volvo is unknown to me.

Dave.

Coutainville
07-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi,

In France now all the bulbs are white, but until recently they were all yellow (its a war thing...).
Most of the cars had yellow bulbs (that you can still buy), but the easiest way is to buy a headlamp coloring varnish, this product was design for foreigners coming to France. BMW only used this product to color the car headlights they were importing to France.
It is very easy to apply, and, if you do not like it, you can wipe it off with alcohol !!!

http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=18286&hilit=

Cheers

papaquebec
07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi,

This might work for you ( http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_amberfog.html ), I have not ordered it yet, but I plan to at some point.

Patrick

matt4960
04-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Piaa Ion Crystal bulbs! Google search them.

Giles
04-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Try this link, makes for an interesting read.

http://hidlighting.com.au/Should%20Fog%20Lights%20Be%20Yellow.html

Regards,

Giles

billr99
04-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Try this link, makes for an interesting read.

http://hidlighting.com.au/Should%20Fog%20Lights%20Be%20Yellow.html

Regards,

Giles
Remembering back to my rally days and with younger eyeballs, I would have to agree with this article. Yellow light will not give you greater penetration ([thumbup]), but it will give you a greater sense of depth. That is, you can more easily pick up objects or holes in the road surface regardless of whether you are driving in clear weather, dust, snow or whatever. Anything that can cast a bit of a shadow will jump out. We used to run French H4s that were essentially a regular QI H4 with a yellow glass shroud over the bulb. Worked great except they captured the heat and made the bulb fail quicker. They also seemed a bit more fragile on rough gravel stages. I even got stopped by the Ohio Highway Patrol twice for them; basically so they could figure out what they were. At the time, there apparently was no law against yellow light as long as the headlights were functional.

Cheers,

Bill

matt4960
04-16-2009, 06:40 AM
I remember when the Lexus ES 300 first came out, they had Piaa style yellow projector fogs. If I was driving on the highway during a rainstorm, with all the spray being thrown back up off of the road, you could see these coming up on you alot sooner than standard white lights! The only problem was that most Lexus drivers didn't seem to realise there was a switch to turn them OFF when it wasn't raining!:rolleyes:

Capt. Canuck
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Remembering back to my rally days and with younger eyeballs, I would have to agree with this article. Yellow light will not give you greater penetration ([thumbup]), but it will give you a greater sense of depth. That is, you can more easily pick up objects or holes in the road surface regardless of whether you are driving in clear weather, dust, snow or whatever. Anything that can cast a bit of a shadow will jump out.
Cheers,

Bill

I'm actually in the process of replacing my OE fog light bulbs to H.I.D. replacements in Amber. I did read the article and it certain has validity to it however as Bill says it definitely shows greater depth.

Here in Toronto most of our major highways have amber lights so there must me a good reason why that is. Also when you're driving in rain, snow, fog it definitely penetrates much better, hence the name FOG lights.