PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new purchase

silverwolf
07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I am about to purchase an ex-police(UK) 2002 XC with 140k miles on the clock and full service history.
It has the geartonic auto box and a petrol turbo engine.
Any pointers to check or known problems with the car greatfully received.
Apologies if this has alreday been covered.
[thumbup]

JRL
07-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I am about to purchase an ex-police(UK) 2002 XC with 140k miles on the clock and full service history.
It has the geartonic auto box and a petrol turbo engine.
Any pointers to check or known problems with the car greatfully received.
Apologies if this has alreday been covered.
[thumbup]
Why would poilice have an XC there, rarely, if ever snows?
You need...
Service history
Angle gear, replaced or not
Transmission "' "' for starters

silverwolf
07-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi
The Police only have a few on their fleet but do for whatever reason use them.
They are serviced regularly at around every 5k miles.
Please tell me more about the angle gear and transmission please.

xc4life
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
any pic of it??
that would be cool ;)

TrueBlue
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Sounds of deep sucking of breath.....

Take it from me - who had a very nice 2002 model with no problems (but the VC didn't work) - I wouldn't touch it; wait for a 2003 or later model. They're still in use in my neck of the woods, so would appear in the auctions in due course.

It's a tribute to (even modern) Volvo's engineering that the car has lasted that long. The Police buy them 'cos the cars hold loads and loads of kit, and consequently are driven constantly with extra weight.

They are basic motors with cloth seats and not many extras, also White - which is not a hugely popular colour in the UK - so resale values will be poor.

Even if the car has been well maintained and the VC has been replaced (IMHO it's an appalling design - two shafts rotating in highly expensive treacle...), it and the "angle gear" = centre differential is expensive to replace and is not known for its longevity.

A V70 of similar year would be much better value.

Must go now, Nurse is coming with my happy pills, but it's still Tissing with rain here to the East of you (as it has for the past fortnight).