PDA

View Full Version : Clear "Check Engine" Light

DBLD
07-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Hi,
Quick question regarding the Check Engine Light. It was on a few weeks ago, but then went out on its own and hasn't come back (knock on wood). I am due for inspection soon. My question is this - since it went out on its own, is the on board computer memory cleared of the fault code as well? I know they check the computer during inspection, and if there are any stored codes, you fail. So, I was wondering if the check engine light, now that it is gone, would still have a stored code - and if so, how would I clear that (since I presume everything is fine now that the light is gone).

Thanks very much!

psaboic
07-02-2007, 06:53 AM
Usually the code is stored in the computer memory until it is cleared with by the dealer, or with an OBDII code reader/scanner. You can read the code and clear it yourself if you have a code reader. If not you can by a decent one at an auto parts store for about $75. SOME (not all) Autozone and PepBoys stores will let you rent a code reader for a nominal fee.

Good luck

JRL
07-02-2007, 01:37 PM
About the only code that usually will clear itself is a loose gas cap.
If that is the case it will be cleared in the computer too

DBLD
07-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the responses - this is great info. I will look into a reader so I can clear it myself, I think the dealers charge $70 or so just to hook your car up to the computer.

Anyway, thanks again!