PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Additives

howardc64
06-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Given our cars seems to encounter a fair bit of tranny problems, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with transmission fluid additives on this car?

I've had 2 experiences in the past and both had very good results.

Had a 88 VW Scirocco 5speed manual. This tranny had a design flaw where the 5th gear spindle basically drilled through the casing which occured at 10k miles for me. Dealer rebuilt the tranny and shifts much harder. A visit to an indy who put in Redline changed nothing. Then like magic, he squeezes in something called a Moly Lube and the car shifts silky smooth. Smoother than it ever did even brand new. Tranny still worked just as silky when I last had the car at 160k miles.

My other experience is with my 01V70T5 Geartronic. I changed the tranny fluid to AMSOIL synth (couldn't locate 3309 initially) and the car had all kinds of shift problems. Then I read about this great stuff called Lubegard and put some in. Shifts improved dramatically but still a few weird problems once in awhile. Finally, I put in 3309 and its all smooth now. I still get a strange clunk once in a blue moon and neither of my 2nd-3rd slips have gone away (but pretty much hidden in auto mode with new TCM software). Anyways, the testamonials I found online on Lubegard was just amazing. People were "fixing" none operating trannys with this stuff! (at least the first cheap attempt but seems to have worked in some cases)

So I have to say, I'm impressed by both of these examples. It was amazing how much smoother these additives made in both of my experiences. Have been wondering if I should put in Lubegard with 3309 on both of my 01s to get rid of these very infrequent hard shifts. Both 01s have the latest TCM.

Thoughts? Experiences to share?

JRL
06-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Given our cars seems to encounter a fair bit of tranny problems, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with transmission fluid additives on this car?

Thoughts? Experiences to share?
In a word, DON'T
AW-55 is a touchy (crappy) transmission and not liking anything in it but 3309.
Don't you think for one minute that if ANYONE found something good over the last few years it would be common knowledge by now?

Its the wifes
06-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Better off draining the fluid and replacing it with fresh fluid ever 15k

Aviator
07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Better off draining the fluid and replacing it with fresh fluid ever 15k

Correctomundo !!! You can't buy a fountain of youth, and you can't do bodywork with a paint gun !!!

Dave.