PDA

View Full Version : Washer pump not working?

Mitch
06-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Weird...since I got my car back from "The Tree that hit me incident", the washer pump doesn't work. I mean you don't even hear it try to run.

I'm going to check the connection and see if there is any power going to it this weekend. Maybe the impact, which was on the driver side door, knoked the connector off way on the other side?

I've checked the fuses and they are fine.

Weird.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Mitch

RedXC
06-24-2007, 09:40 PM
First check for the electric connector, if okay then use a voltmeter and connect to the harness connector and operate it to see if any voltage is present. If yes, then is a bad washer pump, If not, then you have a blown fuse or a open circuit. Double check the first by testing it with a test light or voltmeter.

Mitch
06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
First check for the electric connector, if okay then use a voltmeter and connect to the harness connector and operate it to see if any voltage is present. If yes, then is a bad washer pump, If not, then you have a blown fuse or a open circuit. Double check the first by testing it with a test light or voltmeter.

I checked and I get voltage when the front and rear washer sticks are actuated, but the pump doesn't run.

Looks like the pump is kaput.

-Mitch

Aviator
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
I checked and I get voltage when the front and rear washer sticks are actuated, but the pump doesn't run.

You have voltage at the connector but are you getting a ground ? If you are using a test light, just feed the test light off a positive feed and stick it in the ground side of the connector.....just the opposite of grounding the test light when checking for voltage. Car looks great by the way !!

Dave.

Mitch
06-27-2007, 03:04 AM
You have voltage at the connector but are you getting a ground ? If you are using a test light, just feed the test light off a positive feed and stick it in the ground side of the connector.....just the opposite of grounding the test light when checking for voltage. Car looks great by the way !!

Dave.

Thanks on the car.

I used my voltmeter and used the ground from the black wire in the connector and this is where I noted the voltage difference. There were 4 wires. One was ground, one had 12V on with accessory. One had 12V on with front washer and the last one had 12V on with rear washer.

I also tried grounding on the suspension underneith and got the same results.

Would this confirm ground?

Thanks!
-Mitch

Mitch
06-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Guys....

If my washer pump is toast, do you think that this one would do the trick?

http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/wizard.jsp?year=2004&make=VO&model=XC70-4WDT-003&category=P&part=Washer+Pump

Maybe it's the relays? Would be kinda weird that both the rear and front would crap out at the same time though.

I know there should be a rear and a front pump, so would this do both? If not, are they both the same? And then finally, does anyone know if I just replace this from the bottom?

Thanks!
-Mitch

Aviator
06-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Hey Mitch...if you're getting complete circuits across the connector using a meter, then that pretty much confirms that it is the pumps that are toast. They didn't freeze up and split on you did they ? You are using the meter as the load instead of the pump/s, so it's probably the pumps. I've seen crap like that before.....pisses me off !!!

Dave.

Mitch
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey Mitch...if you're getting complete circuits across the connector using a meter, then that pretty much confirms that it is the pumps that are toast. They didn't freeze up and split on you did they ? You are using the meter as the load instead of the pump/s, so it's probably the pumps. I've seen crap like that before.....pisses me off !!!

Dave.

Hey Dave...

Thanks for the note. Nah, I don't think it froze up. When I had the accident in April, everything was working fine. Then the car sat inside the body shop for 8 weeks. Now I get the car back and the pump doesn't work. Very weird. Could certainly be a coincidence.

I don't mind shelling out $55 for a new (aftermarket), given the fact that my insurance waived the $500 deductible. (Well, they didn't waive it, but inadvertantly paid the body shop the full amount.)

Given that the pump is shot, is there only one of them as per the link below?

http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/wizard.jsp?year=2004&make=VO&model=XC70-4WDT-003&category=P&part=Washer+Pump

Thanks!
-Mitch

Aviator
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Actually, it looks like that is just one pump....but both front and rear use the same pump ( as in part number ), so there would be two pumps.....both being identical.

Dave.

Mitch
06-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Actually, it looks like that is just one pump....but both front and rear use the same pump ( as in part number ), so there would be two pumps.....both being identical.

Dave.

Ah...thanks. I'm at the dealer on Friday, so perhaps I'll ask them to confirm.

Dave, I'm down your way tomorrow at the refinery in Dartmouth, although I'll be riding the VW.

-Mitch

Aviator
06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey that's cool Mitch......I work just 5 minutes away from the refinery in Woodside. I'm at Liftow...just down Acadia St. on the left past the Dartmouth General Hospital. Drop by for a few minutes if you got the time !! I break at 10, lunch 12-12:30, break at 3. Cheers !!!

Dave.[happy]

Mitch
07-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Hey that's cool Mitch......I work just 5 minutes away from the refinery in Woodside. I'm at Liftow...just down Acadia St. on the left past the Dartmouth General Hospital. Drop by for a few minutes if you got the time !! I break at 10, lunch 12-12:30, break at 3. Cheers !!!

Dave.[happy]

Hi Dave, I actually drove right by the Hospital, coming off the bridge from HFX and going to the refinery, although I was pretty tight.

I'll have to drop in something though!

-Mitch

Mitch
07-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I was thinking, since there are 2 pumps, that it would be kinda a very weird coincidence that both my front and rear washer pumps would be toast, would it not?

Also, I peeked underneight, after removing the plastic triangular shaped cowl and can see the wires go to one pump only. The front bumper is is a way a bit, but it only seems like there is one pump at the lowest section of the tank.

Are there 2 or is it just 1 housing with 2 pumps inside?

-Mitch

04 XC70
99 Passat 1.8T
69 Triumph GT6+

Art
07-02-2007, 05:36 PM
There should be two pumps at the base of the front windshield washer reservoir as shown in the attached file; one to service the front windshield and headlamps and the other for the rear hatch glass.

It does seem odd that both pumps would quit on you simultaneously. I wonder if this could be somehow related to the right side wiper control stalk or the manner in which the information is transmitted from the stalk to the CEM (central electronic module).

BillAileo
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Art,

If I'm reading VADIS correctly it appears there may be two variations on the pumps. The parts picture clearly shows two pumps. But there is a note appended to the parts descriptions that seems to say that for XC70s up until chassis number 126165 there are two pumps and the pump part number is 9169611 and from XC70 Chassis number 126166 forward I think it says there is one pump and its number is 30663139.... Obviously I'm not certain on this.

Bill

Art
07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
I stand corrected Bill. Thanks for pointing that out. The diagram originated from Alldata’s website and was for a MY2001. My version of Vadis actually shows four variations of pump washers with the following notations:

1) #9169611
CH XC70 -126165 (Qty. 2)

2) #30663139
CH XC70 126166-173073 (Qty. 1)

3) #30699391
CH XC70 174074- (Qty. 1)

4) #30649800
CH V70XC 173000- (Qty. 1)

Pump #4 is indicated as being a high pressure washer pump.