PDA

View Full Version : Getting XM radio and CD changer

1Lieutenant
09-18-2002, 06:36 PM
This friday I am planning on having an Alpine RF modulator XM radio and the matching AiNet 6 Disk changer.  I really miss my CD changer, but can't rationalize spending $1000.00 for the factory unit, especially in a lease vehicle.

I listened to the XM radio played through a factory Jetta Monsoon sound system.  Despite the RF modulator and the limitations of frequency response, it sounded fantastic!  I look forward to Jazz, Classical and Rock with NO commercials.  The Alpine 6 disk changer will also play MP3 files which should allow for tremendous file storage.

If anyone has done this already, where did you place the controller?

Regards,

Steve

The total is a third less than just the factory changer.

Malyel M
09-18-2002, 09:22 PM
HI there,
I have put XM in several of my cars and most of the time you can put the controller under the dash. I plan on putting XM,Nav and Dvd in my new XC. I want to remove the factory radio and put a screen in the dash like an Acura MDX. Not a flipface that some have done but a true lcd screen in the dash. Then install a radio in the glove box and nav under the front seat. I plan on using the pioneer DVD nav system that does both nav and dvd movies. The real benefit with this nav is that it has the ability to update any traffic jams or accidents on the maps and reroute. I plan on using the steering wheel controll for track selection/XM channel selection and volume controll. I am not sure how much space is under the dash untill one of my installers opens up the car. In my last car I had a Subaru WRX Wagon and I was able to put both the controller and Xm terk sr2 antenna in the dash. I was able to pick up a signal with the antenna under the dash. Actually I have had lots of luck doing this in all types of cars and trucks. There is a misconception that some have that this will not work because it needs to be mounted on the exterior of the car. The only problem you have with mounting it in concealed locations is that it might take 3 or 4 tries in different spots before you find the best spot. Some may not want to spend $40 to $80 for each time you try a spot in installation costs. As soon as I do my system I will post info pics and specs. Most likely it will be 1-3 months away. Good luck and let us know your results.

Art
09-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Steve,

This fellow installed his controller underneath the front passenger seat of his '02 V70. You can follow this link to his complete Alpine install. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Alpine Multi Media Installation (http://www.swedespeed.com/features/tech/multimedia_v70/index.htm)

DanishXCViking
09-19-2002, 07:12 AM
Looking forward to seeing it when you post pics,Malyel M.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The real benefit with this nav is that it has the ability to update any traffic jams or accidents on the maps and reroute.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The original Volvo DVD navigation actually has a TMC modul, that does the exact same thing, I believe http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif
Just thougt I would tell you http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

Combustion
09-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Hello all,

My controller for the XM is under the rear floor beside the spare tire and the sub. Just behind the left rear seat&#33;

Combust

Hiro's XC
09-19-2002, 04:29 PM
My experience with the XM is extensive too. Almost a year now. You MIGHT get reception in the dash but it will be limited to the repeaters in the area. In Chicagoland you would get intermitent reception at best. You can mount nit on the dash, or outside if you want it to work correctly. I would go around advising people that it works any other way when it does not always do so. Volvos have the laminate windows and I feel that maybe that interferes with the signal, just as it does with my cell phone. My VW TDI had no issues with the terk on the real parcel deck but would not work properly when concealed in the car. The advice of the manufacturer is outside the car. Your experience may vary but a lot of people can&#39;t, don&#39;t and won&#39;t have the ability, money, or time to do it over if it does not work in the WRONG location.

Jason

Combustion
09-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Hello,

Yeah mine is on the back on the roof. The turk one for pioneer. Looks good with black on black&#33;

Combustion

Malyel M
09-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Jason,
Did you personally install the xm radio in your car?

Hiro's XC
09-20-2002, 05:22 AM
Not in the XC. But in the other two cars yes.

I just didn&#39;t have time to do it but a custom home installer (with a lot of car experience) friend did the install.

Jason

1Lieutenant
09-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Just had the Alpine XM system installed.

The controller was located under the passenger seat. &nbsp;The remote control unit was located on the dash panel that contains the three dummy switches and the 12v outlet, offset to the left of the gear shift. &nbsp;It is held on by double sided velcro tape. &nbsp;It looks very good, is easily accessible and easily removable if I do not purchase the vehicle.

I went with the through the window Terk antennae SR1 which looks like a black bread stick. &nbsp;It actually looks ok with all the other black components (roof rack) in the area.

It really works great. &nbsp;NO COMMERCIALS, and excellent sound quality. &nbsp;Makes even good FM reception seem muddy. I&#39;m not even sure I&#39;m going to add the CD changer now. (although I&#39;m sure I&#39;ll change my mind)

Steve

sendwongy1
09-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Hey Steve,

Would you have any pics of your installation?

Eugene

Malyel M
09-21-2002, 05:37 AM
Jason,
It is true I have not put XM in an XC yet but I have had good luck putting the terk Sr2 in other locations besides on the exterior of the car. Good luck means 150+ cars with no problems. I think if you find a good installer you should have no problem. My concern in putting it on the exterior is that moisture collects underneath the Sr2 and over time this will effect your cars paint. Weren&#39;t you a liitle concerned about putting the rubbing alcohol/chemicals on your paint? So in my opinion spending a little more money for custom installing the antenna may be saving you money in the long run. The Sr1 doesn&#39;t have this problem. It&#39;s only negative is it has problems with tinted windows.

Hiro's XC
09-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Thansk for the reply. I tried the interior and had isssues, as the windows on our XC are tinted pretty heavily. Have you had any luck with the glass mount antenea? I don&#39;t like the look particularly, but it&#39;a a good choice to the external mount on the finish. Well, the paint on my TDI is fine as I wax the heckout of the spot once a week where the magnetic Sony Shark Fin sits.

Thanks.

Jason

wiz
09-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Has anyone added XM functionality to the in-dash factory stereo, which I think is made by Mitsubishi?

Is that how your system works, 1Lieutenant? You got the Alpine XM tuner &amp; the FM modulator/controller? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/huh2.gif