Unhappy HELP,, no readings on cluster,, can i use an aftermarket fuel gauge??

Hi, I was given a 2002 volvo xc70 from my uncle.. but the car was sitting for over a year.. The car runs fine but the cluster works once every few days.. I have read the other post and i cant afford to have it repaired for $400.. can't i just install a aftermarket fuel gauge and tap it into the fuel level signal?

Short answer?

No.

Save up and get it fixed...besides, fuel is one of the least important gauges...use your i-phone and track how long the engine is running. Fill up every 5 hours...better, use the GPS function and fill up every 250 miles...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

there is also a functions that will tell you how many miles till empty tank.,
    fill the car when it will be around 80 miles till empty or when it is convenient to you

Quote Originally Posted by Jpusa View Post
    Hi, I was given a 2002 volvo xc70 from my uncle.. but the car was sitting for over a year.. The car runs fine but the cluster works once every few days.. I have read the other post and i cant afford to have it repaired for $400.. can't i just install a aftermarket fuel gauge and tap it into the fuel level signal?
    Find a used DIM (note other threads on this site on the subject). You might be able to find one on eBay or a local junkyard for less than $100.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Bill99 gave a great suggestion. But before buying something you can make a quick test what is really cause of the problem. I would put a full tank of gas in a car and note the gauge and "miles to empty tank" if the gauge is not working but the "miles to 0 shows around 460 miles" than you problem is in dashboard. but if both of them shows near 0 or 0 than you have a problem with sending unit inside the tank or the wiring between that unit and dash.
    (if someone has a better way to test this problem please correct me. Thanks.)

Quote Originally Posted by vova View Post
    there is also a functions that will tell you how many miles till empty tank.,
    fill the car when it will be around 80 miles till empty or when it is convenient to you
    That function is based on the fuel level sender and the ECU average fuel use, displayed in the DIM...but the poster said it's his whole panel that's intermittent...and implied that nothing works when it goes out, so, I don't know if the distance to empty, or any other information, will be available...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks for clarifying it to me Astro14.

I don't know the laws where you are, but I know in many places you are required to have a minimum of some working instrumentation, including the speedometer/odometer. So you might as well fix it now, when you have a relatively leisurely ability to do so and thus can save money by looking for used parts.

BTW from what you are describing it may be loose connections. Especially if this occurred after sitting for some time - perhaps corrosion/oxidation has had its toll. Try plugging/unplugging any relevant fuses & connectors a few times which may help wipe this off. Use a DMM to measure the voltage on the DIM. Although it seems other connections inside go bad: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18067 which would be a bit more of a hassle to fix.
    Last edited by coflynn; 04-23-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coflynn View Post
    I don't know the laws where you are, but I know in many places you are required to have a minimum of some working instrumentation, including the speedometer/odometer. So you might as well fix it now, when you have a relatively leisurely ability to do so and thus can save money by looking for used parts.

BTW from what you are describing it may be loose connections. Especially if this occurred after sitting for some time - perhaps corrosion/oxidation has had its toll. Try plugging/unplugging any relevant fuses & connectors a few times which may help wipe this off. Use a DMM to measure the voltage on the DIM. Although it seems other connections inside go bad: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18067 which would be a bit more of a hassle to fix.
    Its very common on these DIMs for the connection on the surface mount CPUs to go cold. Some, with way better eyes than mine, have re-heated those connections and have had some success in recovering a failed DIM. IMHO, the better way to go is either a used one, if you don't mind the mileage being off, or to have Xemodex repair the failed one. The later option keeps all the software options intact as well as the mileage. In turn you pay upward of $400 or so for that privilege. The used option will probably get you around $100 as I said (unless you live in Nova Scotia where it will cost you $200) but you have to adhere to certain qualifications to insure success and you could lose things like your trip computer which requires a software re-load.

In the case of the OP, the used option is probably going to be his best and cheapest route as he did say that cost was a concern. It can also be a relatively hassle-free way for the DIY'er since an R&R of the DIM is a 5 minute job, assuming you have a working replacement handy.

Interestingly, this is not an especially Volvo-centric issue. A peruse of the various car sites find that other makes/models are prone to instrument cluster problems usually similar in cause. And the OEMs aren't cheap in their solutions. Xemodex obviously had a great idea in establishing a repair business for this type of thing. You'd think that the OEMs, or at least the dealer networks, would pick up on that and offer the service. But then again the profit margins on a $1000 cluster are probably pretty decent.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff