Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    In that case, I would put in a NEW switch...

Your disassembly and cleaning immediately preceded this...so, it sounds to me like something wasn't right when you put it back together...

Not cheap, but much cheaper than a new transmission.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1012...-volvo-8636441
    If the dash display promptly shows all gear positions with no errors, I'm thinking that it is likely not the issue. Also, a visual observation of the linkage itself shows a full throw.
    "Call on god, but row away from the rocks..."

Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalrus View Post
    I get an audible sound of the car going into gear about one out of every 20 or so shifts into Drive, and the car will go for about 10 feet, the RPMs go high and the car coasts to a stop like it lost hydraulic pressure.
    Probably can conclude hydraulic pressure is available briefly 1 out of 20 shifts and quickly fades. Tapping the tranny pressure ports would be more definitive of course. Dipstick show any particulates? Perhaps drain and inspect a small sample of ATF?
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    Probably can conclude hydraulic pressure is available briefly 1 out of 20 shifts and quickly fades. Tapping the tranny pressure ports would be more definitive of course. Dipstick show any particulates? Perhaps drain and inspect a small sample of ATF?
    The gallon I drained out before replacing the solenoids as well as the dipstick after filling it back up is crystal clear ATF with nearly zero particulates.....Just Odd.

Hunter S. Thompson

Transmission pressure ports to test,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image (14).jpg  
    Current Junk: Couple of worthless rusty old clapped out Volvo bricks, XC70's 02, 04 & Countless P.O.S's, Rust buckets, Junk cars,( 50W Oily cesspool Sludge) Stolen and other assorted rubbish cars, 1928 Jed Clampett Tourer, (8 hole cast iron lump, original rust and decay, 40W Straight Bacon Grease),

You may start with just disconnecting any of two transmission cooler hoses and checking if ATF flows. That will answer to the question: "Does fluid pump works?"
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

To be fair, I am very much at a point where the entire transmission (and motor) need to come out regardless of what I find, so I suppose I need to start pricing transmissions and weighing the cost vs. benefit. 200K on the car, it is due for a timing belt, I paid 2,000 for the car, and will likely never get out of it what I will wind up putting into it (I haven't even priced transmissions). Much to ponder.

Hunter S. Thompson

Did I read correctly that the fluid level is at the hot mark when the transmission is cold? Take some fluid out so that its at the cold mark when its cold. I overfilled once and the thing barely moved. If that does get it going drive it around a bit till the trans is actually warm and then adjust accordingly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123