Default Front Drive Axle Replacement Experience

Dealer checked out the 01 XC70 for possible trans slip and clunk. Right front drive axle is worn and replacement is $690. Has anyone done this work and does it require any special tools? I have a good deal of experience with auto restoration work from my early days, so I'm well equipped, but have not spent much wrench time with the Volvo or front wheel drive yet. Dealer price seems a bit high for a $330 part.

Oh yes, and they said the next thing to do will be to replace the transmission valve body for a mere $1880, but the drive axle was the main problem right now.

Thanks for any hands on advice!

Quote Originally Posted by ebaron View Post
    Dealer price seems a bit high for a $330 part.
    I haven't done one but here's another site with how-to instructions and pictures. Where I live there are shops that rebuild them for much less than new ones. Assuming yours just has a bad CV joint, maybe you can get one cheaper buying it yourself and installing it.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

ebaron, I don't see any reason that you can't do this yourself if you have turned a few wrenches in the past. MoeB's post is pretty helpful.

JRL knows more about this than anyone, but throttle body replacement may not solve problems with the AW 55-50. Before they take you money, make sure that you already have upgraded the software and have done a good flush and fill on the fluid.
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

Thanks for all the info. Looks like it should not be a problem. I'll also check into some local shops re: a rebuild of the shaft. I got the $330 price from an online source, I'm sure the dealer part price is higher.

I'll repost once we get the shaft taken care of. Now I have to determine if I'm going to do this in our upstate NY cold winter or not!

volvoshad, thxs for the transmission tip. I'm assuming you meant to say valve body and not throttle body. We've had the car for a year now and immediately had the software upgraded to get rid of the stop-neutral feature. Dealer thought the fluid looked very good, so previous owner may have done the flush. I may just have it flushed and replaced anyhow though based on all the recommendations I've seen here.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like it should not be a problem. I'll also check into some local shops re: a rebuild of the shaft. I got the $330 price from an online source, I'm sure the dealer part price is higher.

I'll repost once we get the shaft taken care of. Now I have to determine if I'm going to do this in our upstate NY cold winter or not!

volvoshad, thxs for the transmission tip. I'm assuming you meant to say valve body and not throttle body. We've had the car for a year now and immediately had the software upgraded to get rid of the stop-neutral feature. Dealer thought the fluid looked very good, so previous owner may have done the flush. I may just have it flushed and replaced anyhow though based on all the recommendations I've seen here.
    Right, valve body. Flush and fill that tranny as often as your budget allows. The only caviat is that on occasion a tranny that is about to fail will die when the old sticky fluid is exhanged for something with less adhesion than peanut butter. But you were headed for a new transmission anyway, it just happened a bit sooner, and if your transmission is basically healthy, there is nothing better for it than new ATF. I plan to do this on mine every 20 - 30K, and have added a filter as well. BTW, unless the ATF is obviously burnt, I am skeptical of anyone really being able to judge tranny fluid condition by appearance alone. No one's eyes and nose are as good as a formal oil analysis.

Enjoy that XC!
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    VCOA

Dealer checked out the 01 XC70 for possible trans slip and clunk. Right front drive axle is worn and replacement is $690. Has anyone done this work and does it require any special tools? I have a good deal of experience with auto restoration work from my early days, so I'm well equipped, but have not spent much wrench time with the Volvo or front wheel drive yet. Dealer price seems a bit high for a $330 part.

Oh yes, and they said the next thing to do will be to replace the transmission valve body for a mere $1880, but the drive axle was the main problem right now.

Thanks for any hands on advice!
    if the drive axle was the main concern..if its not new, buying a new volvo axle would be the best way.

Cool CV Joint Problem/Replacement Axles

In many cases we fix this by dismantling the CV (constant velocity joint), which is integrated into the axle assembly, cleaning and regreasing it. We put new boots, because they tear and usually is why the CV has the problem in the first place. The only boots that seem to fit are the factory ones and Volvo charges almost $100 just for the boot kit (per side!). If the CV has play, cleaning ain't gonna help, you need a new axle. Probably best is the Volvo/GKN/Lobro original, but they cost $300-$400. The chinese ones (EMPI) seem to fit and do the job (eventhough we do NOT use them in our service dept. cause the techs are afraid of comebacks), they may or may not end up lasting as long, but they are a small fraction of the cost....

Just keep an eye on the boots when you change the oil and if they look worn out change 'em and save your money for something more fun than a Volvo wagon.

Thanks for the info. Haven't changed it out yet, but I did check it up on ramps. Boot is fine. Looks like the support bearings between the CV joint and trans have play ( very little, but I can feel it). Could not really check the CV joint since the wheel wasn't off the ground.

Thanks for the info. Haven't changed it out yet, but I did check it up on ramps. Boot is fine. Looks like the support bearings between the CV joint and trans have play ( very little, but I can feel it). Could not really check the CV joint since the wheel wasn't off the ground.
    I think it is pretty hard to check for play in the CV joints until they are off the car, not just off the ground. This is one reason I have chosen to just replace the drive axle in the past. If you buy the boot kit, pull the axle, and then find play in either CV, you now have a useless boot kit, and will have to track down the axle anyway.
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    VCOA