Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ignition lock cylinder problem

Today I could not start my 01 XC - key went in, turned to position 'I' but woudl not turn any further. Radio, windows, sunroof etc all worked OK - tranny in 'P,' steering wheel lock would lock and unlock properly. This was NOT the 'immobilizer' or any electronic issue; it was clearly a mechanical jam in the lock mechanism itself. After multiple tries I muscled it into submission [maybe pure luck] and drove home.

Later when I shut down I carefully cycled the key and could feel that there is a spring loaded 'plunger' that pushed 'OUT' with the key - I think this was jammed 'IN' based on the strange feel I got when inserting the key while jammed.

If this is in fact a problem with the lock cylinder itself [as opposed to the switch] is there anything you can do to lubricate the mechanism? Graphite or LockEase or similar products? Can you lube the lock without contaminating the electrical contacts?

Not looking forward to many hundreds of $$ for new lock, keys, programming, etc etc. so anty help is appreciated!

Check out our FAQ! It's in there.

Wink Invisible Ink?

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Check out our FAQ! It's in there.
    Maybe its 'in there' but searching FAQ for 'ignition' 'lock' 'key' and combos of said terms returns zilch - is the FAQ search engine kaput? Not in resources section either? Much obliged for a hyperlink in your next reply!!

Thanks!

It's in there. Third last FAQ - but titled a little different.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11344 Someone had a similiar issue - check that posting to see if it helps. If not, let me know.
    Last edited by Forkster; 07-21-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Many thanks - same trouble this AM so looks like I need some parts.

Default Great help from FAQ

Hi! i encountered a problem with my ignition lock cylinder around 2 months ago. Actually, I tried everything, from applying graphite to checking the wiring for grounds, and even pushing my key in and out the lock. the problem is recurring so i Googled the ignition lock cylinder and ordered one for myself. Since I don't want to shelve extra cash for hiring a mechanic, i begun searching for the quick fix of this. Anyways, to cut the long story short, I stumbled upon your forum and got my beloved volvo running smoothly again. Thanks!
    Last edited by vevelyn; 10-08-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Vevelyn - nice use of anchor text.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Lock Eze graphite spray fixed mine 13 months ago - no issues since.

$4 for a small can after the stealership charged me $110 to 'diagnose' an additional $800 fix.

Stupid question - is "key turns to Position 1" and "key won't turn at all" two separate issues or is it the same part failing, just at different places? I have read all the "turns and stops at Position 1" but want to know if there is something different between the two. I have had the "won't turn at all" problem for about two months. I lubed up my key with some triflow and it turns like butter for about two weeks, not catching at all. It presented the same "won't turn at all" symptoms the other day and I again got some lubricant in there and it's smooth again. This could be purely coincidental though and I'd like to fix the situation once and for all.

Do the "won't turn past Position 1" people ever get theirs going again, or once it fails, it's over?

Do I just need to buy a new ignition lock cylinder or is it something else? Volvo of Cincinnati quoted me $293 for the part and 1.5 hours worth of labor. Yes, I realize that I will then have a separate ignition key but I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jeni View Post
    Do the "won't turn past Position 1" people ever get theirs going again, or once it fails, it's over?
    Mine would not go past Pos 1, Lock-Eze is the way to go. It leaves a Graphite Film in place; the conventional lubes just get wiped away.

Trick is to pry open the 'rollers' that guard the keyway so you can get the red spray straw in there - use a small blade, awl, or other METAL pick so nothing breaks off in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast