Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tcm-002f

Default Tcm-002f

OK. Here is the story.

It's a 2003 XC70 with 108K miles. I owned it since bought new. It's turning 7 in two weeks.

Had not head any obvious transmission troubles until couple weeks ago.

About 6 months/7000 miles ago had transmission fluid replaced for the first time, per Volvo shop recommendation. They said the fluid was dark, and that there must be something going on with the transmission. They did not know what exactly. Fair enough...

Couple weeks ago while driving through heavy rain there was an obvious "Event" - trouble down shifting, a few jerks, Yellow warning lights ON, "Transmission Service Required" ON, limp mode (dash instead of "D") ON.

After the engine restart limp mode went away, Warning Lights stayed ON. I've been driving it for nearly 3 weeks since then - shifts perfectly OK.

Took the car to the same dealer to get this diagnosed and to reset the Warnings.
    They came up with a wrap-sheet of codes, circled one of codes, and said this code indicated I needed a new transmission. The code is "TCM-002F Lock-up function slipping or not engaged | DTC is found active."

Not entirely unexpected outcome...
    So I paid 100 bucks for the diagnostics, and was getting ready to collect the report I paid for and to leave, but my request for a copy of the trouble code report wasn't welcomed at all. Go figure...
    And, as I wasn't in the mood to go in a full altercation over that report, ended up leaving with just one page, the one with the code circled.

Now the questions:

What does "DTC is found active." mean?

Does this code correspond to what I experienced when the light came on?

And what are the chances it's not the transmission, but rather its wiring? It was raining. And, before and since, transmission appears to shift just fine.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pelagikos View Post
    What does "DTC is found active." mean?

Does this code correspond to what I experienced when the light came on?

And what are the chances it's not the transmission, but rather its wiring? It was raining. And, before and since, transmission appears to shift just fine.

Thanks!
    DTC is found active would seem to be a funky way of saying the DTC was currently being reported by the transmission as opposed to it having happened just once and is stored.

TCM-002f is a way of saying your SLU solenoid is slipping. It's hard to tell exactly what the symptoms mean from your description, trouble downshifting from 4th or 5th could mean the lock-up solenoid was sticking and not disengaging, 4th to 3rd uses a lot of SLU controlled slip lock so that would be affected also. Considering the SLU solenoid does a lot of work in your transmission if it's shifting fine I'm surprised that the code is still active.

I'm pretty sure you paid $100 to find out what was wrong with your car, it's outrageous that they then won't give you the information you paid for. If it's driving and shifting just fine I'd keep on driving, $5K to the dealer for a car that currently drives just fine is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagikos View Post
    Not entirely unexpected outcome...
    So I paid 100 bucks for the diagnostics, and was getting ready to collect the report I paid for and to leave, but my request for a copy of the trouble code report wasn't welcomed at all. Go figure...
    And, as I wasn't in the mood to go in a full altercation over that report, ended up leaving with just one page, the one with the code circled.
    Very strange. I don't see a reason that they shouldn't give it to you, or at least a copy of it.

I have never trusted a repair shop, and it is a constant matter of trust through proof with me. If a shop tells me that something needs to be done, I ask them to show me.

I think I would try another dealer.
    *2005 Ice White XC70
    444K miles and...well...
    Driving the 08 V70 right now.

"Ah! There is nothing like the smell of burning British electrical components in the morning!"

Did they reset the adaptors?
    If not have them reset and the proper drive cycle done
    Have them clear the codes and see what happens.

(I would not flush a 100K miles trans, just three (3) drain and fills) but what's done is done

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Did they reset the adaptors?
    If not have them reset and the proper drive cycle done
    Have them clear the codes and see what happens.
    I do not know. But it shifts perfectly OK. Just as it had before the "Event" I described in the original post, and as it has since.

I drove it for three weeks after the warning lights came on and until going to the dealer to get the lights reset, and another ~700 mile after that. So far, so good.

If it rains when it happens again, the cause is probably electrical. If it doesn't - time to budget to replace the transmission (or car).

Thanks for the pointers.

Hi
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Default Why not give me a copy of the report?

To TheDarkKnightt & sjonnie

I do not know why.

But this is second time a dealership refused to share information despite my plain and direct request.

The other time was when I had drive shaft troubles some time ago.
    The car was still under extended warranty, and the shop (a different one) after finally diagnosing it correctly was going to replace the shaft.

But the Warranty person (adjuster or whatever they are called) said no need to replace the whole shaft, there is a service bulletin and a much cheaper kit to repair the problem.
    They did fix it successfully with that kit.
    But when I asked for the service bulletin number, they said it was Volvo’s know-how and they couldn’t share.

Seems a bit shady to me there not the doctor or ?
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Default Wiring?

It is raining today.

I barely made it a mile out of home (same as the other time) and the problem repeated itself. Exactly as last time. Rain, couple jerks, limp mode, warning lights.

Of course, this is not the proof that the problem lies in the wiring, but, considering I drove the car for hundreds and hundreds of miles without a hint of trouble in dry weather, and the moment it rained the issue came back, the link seems to be pretty strong.

I’d greatly appreciate any opinions whether the “rain – transmission problem” link is plausible, and, if so, what to look for.

Thanks again.

WOW! Tricky problem.

The most important factor on finding the problem is the ability to repeat the problem at will. This allow the mechanic to try different things, hook up whatever diagnostic to snoop for any suspects.

Waiting for the rain to reproduce this issue is kind of a problem. Here is an idea for something to try, wet the engine compartment on a dry day and see if you can get the problem to manifest itself. Maybe the haldex unit in the back too? I think it is electronically controlled.

Just an idea to help to repeat the problem to help the mechanic to isolate it.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast