Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Low Beam on headlights is driving me crazy

My eyes must be getting bad for I'm hating the low beam angle on the headlights for my 2003 xc70.

They are so dim and only are showing a short distace in front of my car. Maybe 2 painted lines infront of the car. Last January a car ran a red light and hit the front end of my car, the car was fixed it drives and looks great except for the headlights seem to be out of adjustment.

Is there away to adjust these up a little?

Thanks
    Morrie

It seems that your headlights are indeed aimed too low. They can and should be adjusted. I suspect that your accident had something to do with your current problem.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights?

Morrie

Here to go, DIY justing headlights.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...adjustment.php

If aiming the headlight is still consider dim, suggest using a higher watt bulb or H.I.D lighting system.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Thanks fror the instructions.

Morrie

Morrie,

Do you have the xenon's? If so you may need a software adjustment, though the hardware adjustment may work. Do a search of the site (and maybe Swedespeed too) for headlight aim issues. I seem to remember that some folks experience the auto leveling on the xenons pointing full down after headlight replacement.
    '05 XC70 Most of the good stuff, no DSTC
    '06 V50 T5 AWD 6sp OSD 6/06, DSTC

Red XC, Thanks for posting the photos of the headlight adjusting knobs. You mentioned that one was for X-axis and the other for Y-axis. Well, when I turn the bigger knob (for Y-axis), the other knob on top turns a well. They seem to be connected. SAdly, I can turn it a full 360 and notice almost no change. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Joshua
    2001 Volvo V70 XC, Ash Gold, Taupe/Brown Leather Interior, Premium, Touring

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Low Beam Settings

Morrie, bear in mind that the headlight adjustments are also controlled by Vadis settings. Your manual adjustment will probably do the trick (it did for me with the Xenons). Assuming it fixes the situation, avoid major Vadis refreshes as they again reset the beams lower! My beams were way too low for highway driving yet Volvo claimed they were in spec. The manual adjustment fixed my problem and has been fine for several years. I've had to reset them 3 times over the past 5 years due to Vadis refreshes, so I avoid that now.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

There is something strange with the procedure mentioned in the link by RedXC. The picture of the assembly
    looks like one from the previous XC generation to me!
    The headlamps in my MY2004 and, according to Vadis also for MY2003 have a different way of adjustment,
    X and Y are each adjusted by a knob on the other side of the headlamp assembly, not by knobs located at
    the same side. I have attached a pdf from Vadis, although it doesn't show the actual knobs, the arrows
    clearly indicate their location. I also took two pictures, couldn't get both knobs in view on one.
    The procedure(s) don't explain how high or low to aim the beams, but good ones can easily be found on the
    web (I have them down 1cm per meter as measured from the height of the bulb to the ground)
    Willy
    Last edited by Willy; 10-03-2009 at 01:30 AM.
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Default headlights

Can the automatic HID leveling headlights on a 2010 XC 70 be adjusted? I hit a deer last summer and had the car repaired. The headlights were replaced but are now aimed too low. I can only see about 2 car lengths ahead with the low beams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast