Smile Check Engine Light

Hello to all, first time post.
    The check engine light is lit due to milage and oil change interval. How do you reset the light?
    Thanks

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Welcome srojoe,

I believe the procedure for resetting the SRI in the how-to section of the site also applies to the XC90.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how...procedures.pdf

Try not to be confused which light is which. Check Engine Light with "Check Engine" is a more serious matter than you typical Service Light. Any SRS or Check Engine Light should be diagnosed right away.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

I'm glad this subject came up. I am having a similiar issue. My XC90 has 113,300 mi. The ' Time for Regular Service' indicator light has been coming on since the 112,500 mark as it should according to the book. Another message that has been appearing on and off is the 'Engine System Service Required' light followed by 'Brake Assist Service Required'. Now is this because at 112,500 the Volvo service book says to replace the brake fluid every two years or 37,500 mi? If this is associated or tied into the 112,500 mark then I do not feel the need to rush it to the dealer. The fact that these lights come on every day my wife thinks I need to to schedule an appt. If I reset the SRI then problem fixed! At 101,301 I had the brake fluid flushed from the dealer and at 105,890 I had the brake pedal position sensor replaced along with rear brake pads. I was wondering if the brake message is only coming on because that service is required at the 112,500 interval. Thanks

No, the message says something is WRONG.
    This is NOT a reminder message for service
    Bring that baby IN the shop

Hello, this my first time on this forum,
    I know this thread is old but thought i'd post this for anybody else that has this problem. I had a similar issue with my 2008 Volvo XC90, the check engine light kept coming on and off. I took it to my mechanic, he told me nothing was wrong and reset it but it still kept coming on. I took it back and my mechanic spent a week with it and figured out how to fix it. He said this "On a 2008 Volvo xc90 p0088, p0087, p0190 codes fuel pressure sensor a circuit, pressure to high or to low. Replace the fuel pressure sensor then clear the codes. After that you want to remove the negative battery cable and short it to the positive wire (you can use a wire with an alligator clip, but don't forget to disconnect the battery cable and then before you reconnect the battery remove your wire first) keep the short going for at least 10min. this will drain the computers memory and get the new readings.
    I have also found this to work after changing the alternator. The new alternator did not charge till after I shorted the battery cables. I believe I will start to do this on all computer problems now from here on out"