Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best tires for winter for XC70

Hi Guys,

By looking at previous posts I found some answers but I am still not sure what to buy and I need to hear it once more from you guys.

I have owned a 1998 S40 T4, a 2000 V40 2.0T and recently I bought a 2001 XC70 2.5T for my wife. My question is which winter tires I should buy for the following purposes

1) Winter maximum 3 months here. Jan-Feb-March
    2) Average Temp about 7 C or 44F
    3) About 15 days out of the 3 months we get snow. it's never colder than -5C or 23F
    4) We get alot of rain
    5) There is a nice skiing resort and I want to drive there too.

So I want some tires which I could use in such winter conditions (not so very cold and mostly rain than snow)

However when the snow starts suddenly, I don't want to get stuck on the roads and I wanna drive freely on any snow.

Also my wheels should be good enought to take me to a skiing resort just two hours away and I don't wanna have any problems climbing on the road to the mountain.

And when there is no snow, I want to be able to use them in dry weather or rain.

Any suggestiosn guys ?

BTW . At the moment I have 215 65 16 Michelin 4x4 syncrone tires on.

Regards
    Last edited by doublecheese; 12-13-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Most any decent all weather tire should do.
    Unfortunately you have (from what I've read, no personal experience with them) one of the worst.
    You sound like a North Easter, (we have the same weather) and in all my prior XC's I've had a variety (of tires), I never got stuck.
    In fact I have a 200', 20 degree driveway and ALL of the tires made it up the driveway (in my AWD XC's or course) with 6" of snow on it!
    So do a little research, check out www.tirerack.com and buy what you want in your price range.
    Oou opinions are like a a-ho***, we all have one!
    You're going to be using them, spend a little comparison time on that site and I'm sure you will come up with the right tire for you.
    You can also call them, give them your budget, they're more than happy to give you tire options
    (you sure it's a 2.5? As far as I know XC's are 2.4 in 2001)

Hi again

Thanks for the reply, since I live in Europe , I can only use tirerack as a reference,

My local dealer offered me the following tires.

Michelin Latitude Alpin HP
    Nokian WR SUV
    Goodyear Wrangler HP AW
    Goodyear Ultra Grip
    Pirelli Snowsport

So I don't know what to choose , I need help from you guys choosing, it can be one of these or another one according to your experience.

2001 - 2.5 or 2.4 , I'm not sure about it as I bought it second hand for my wife. Anybody have a 2001 XC70 European version bought in Europe ? Maybe there can be some differences on engine types between European and US models ?

These are all dedicated snows not to really be run in summer.
    That's not what you just asked for here so you better ASK your tire people the SAME question you asked us as they are giving you (all) snows for a choice

Oh I see

These guys would do anything to sell what ever they have in their stock I guess, I think the best should be that I make alot of research and goto my local tire shop and ask them the specific tire that I will choose......

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    These are all dedicated snows not to really be run in summer.
    The WR is not considered a dedicated snow. It's more of an all season tire. It can be driven in the summer as well. I have a set (not the SUV size) and they are working well for similar conditions as you describe. We probably have more snow and colder temps, but we do have a lot of wet cool rainy weather all winter long. I'm happy with their performance in the rain and on dry roads. We had about 12" of snow recently, and the WR's were positively boring-- which is what you want in a winter tire I suppose.

Default Also recommend the Nokian WRs

I have been running them year round since last Nov. and they are great. Good on dry, wet and snow. They are the only year round tire I know with a "snow tire" rating. While not as good as true snow tires like the Blizzaks I used to have on my 240 they have worked great for me with the XC. We've made several trips up into the Green moutains of VT. during heavy snow storms and they were solid. During the summer they are great tires for dry and rainy weather and are quiet. Don't know what they cost in Turkey but they are pretty expensive in the US... their only big downside in my opinion.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Default good all year round tire

Hey All !!
    First thing I did when I go my XC70 (just traded in for XC90) was take off the Pirelli's and sell them. They are not the best in snow & ice. I replaced them with Goodyear Assurance TripleTreads. To me, alittle more $$ but well worth it. Was night & day for handling and great in wet, snow & ice conditions.

Just my 2 cents... :-)

Tommy J.

04 crystal green XC90 T6 AWD (mine)
    07 sapphire black S60R AWD (wifes)
    04 black S40 (daughters)
    04 white S40 (sons)

Thumbs down

Agree with JRL that pretty much no matter what you are driving on in an XC, you won't get stuck in the snow. However, I do have personal experience with the Michelin Synchrone "all-season" tires (on an XC90), and they provided the absolute worst experience in terms of control (steering, braking) in the snow that I have ever experienced in an AWD. Also, they were worn out after less than 20k (miles), and I think they actually cost more than the Nokians, too. Doesn't sound like you have enough winter weather to necessarily justify dedicated snows, but if you want to be serious about winter driving, consider another all-season with better winter performance. Might be just about any tire, come to think of it. Tirerack.com is great for research.
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

Perhaps you could take a look at the german ADAC site, they test tyres almost every year,
    perhaps not exactly the size you want, but the tests will give you a good feeling of what to avoid
    For winter tyres, Goodyears, Continental, Pirelli and Michelin usually come out on top.
    It is a matter of opinion (and debate), but I consider even the best all season to be inferior to
    most dedicated winter tyres. I believe the ADAC has done tests in that direction as well.
    Look at www.adac.de under tests, reifen etc. As one may expect, the tests are very thorough.
    They have lsied all qualities of the tested tyres (noise, behavior on dry and wet roads, mileage, etc)
    so you can even choose the better one for you based on use.
    Only possible drawback on the ADAC tests is possibly the language
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast