Default Removing Back Third Row Seats

I really would like to remove the third row seat in the back of my '04 XC70 so I can use the extra space for gear.

My questions are:

1. Can I remove it on my own and if I do what would I need to do so?

2. What is the part called that replaces the hard cover over the cargo compartment underneath?

3. Where could I buy the above mentioned part/Where could I sell the left over seats?

Thanks Guys

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

I'm curious about your decision of going through the trouble of removing the aux seat. Since it folds down and out of the way, wouldn't there be sufficient cargo space for stowing gear? IMO, room for storage below deck is only adequate for a few smaller items.

With that said, there are installation instructions for the aux seats in the link below and, for your purpose, it would just be a matter of following them through in reverse. I would imagine that the dealer could order you the required floor panels/parts, although you may want to check with them first before proceeding.

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories....asp?DocId=465

I've seen several 3rd row seats for sale on ebay, in the past, so that might be one good place to start. You could always try the classifieds here.

To gain the approx 1 cu ft of space underneath the panels this is rather bizarre.
    The only way it makes financial sense is to find a wagon owner who wants the seat as all the panels have to swap. Otherwise you have to buy BOTH panels, rather silly for the incremental amount of space gained.
    Also, the seat belt removal takes a while. (You can't really sell it without everything)
    On the seat switch you have to remember that the REAR seat backs needs to be switched, as the LOCK receptacle to hold the seat up is permanently fixed in there.
    You have to find someone with the same interior and at least in the same condition as yours for this to make any sense, it STILL will take about 3 hours for the complete swap

Hmmm.... I think I should have been more clear on what I meant by "gear".

I was under the impression that I had to do this first if I wanted to later install a full sized spare. I'm looking to do this before this summer when I move to Colorado. What I had envisioned was to have the full sized spare in there along with emergency gear, i.e. possibly mounting a fire extinguisher, etc.

That being said, those instructions seem a bit much, as I believe they include installing the inside lift gate handle, which I would think I would need to remove. I curious if any one knows how much I would have to replace in order to fit the full sized spare in there. I was hoping to do the work myself as taking it to the dealer would be expensive, and not be worth the money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FalconTB View Post
    Hmmm.... I think I should have been more clear on what I meant by "gear".

I was under the impression that I had to do this first if I wanted to later install a full sized spare. I'm looking to do this before this summer when I move to Colorado. What I had envisioned was to have the full sized spare in there along with emergency gear, i.e. possibly mounting a fire extinguisher, etc.

That being said, those instructions seem a bit much, as I believe they include installing the inside lift gate handle, which I would think I would need to remove. I curious if any one knows how much I would have to replace in order to fit the full sized spare in there. I was hoping to do the work myself as taking it to the dealer would be expensive, and not be worth the money.
    If you're moving permanetly, ship the two panels later

Thanks
    You cannot have a full size spare with either of the two seat pieces in.
    Chesk with www.erievovo.cam for a pair of used floor panels you can exchange with the seat panels when you want to. Put the seat panels in your garage and reinstall when you sell it.
    These should be readily available used for not too much money.
    Leave all the belts, etc. in and, as I said, reinstall when selling as 3rd seat wagons are worth more (used). They just slide in and out, 5 minutes