Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Angry 2001 V70-XC Transmission Lawsuit

Dear follow V70-XC owners with dead transmissions:

I own a 2001 V70-XC with 59,000 mile. The trans died and Volvo North America knows there is a big problem with this transmission and is trying to hide it. Many other people have needed new transmissions in this car.

If you or someone you know has been ripped off by Volvo like me, please contact me. I am trying to start a class action suit againt Volvo North America.

Yours Poorly:

Richard ([email protected])

Quote Originally Posted by Bustedtrans View Post
    Dear follow V70-XC owners with dead transmissions:

I own a 2001 V70-XC with 59,000 mile. The trans died and Volvo North America knows there is a big problem with this transmission and is trying to hide it. Many other people have needed new transmissions in this car.

If you or someone you know has been ripped off by Volvo like me, please contact me. I am trying to start a class action suit againt Volvo North America.

Yours Poorly:

Richard ([email protected])
    I am curious: What do you mean by "many other people have needed new transmissions." Are the numbers of people needing new transmissions significantly higher than in other brands? If all you have is merely anecdotal evidence, then it might be quite difficult to master such a lawsuit. I know that Toyota and BMW had their run-ins with bad transmissions, but I am not sure how they have addressed this issue.

Ta-ta, j.
    Second gen., Nautical Blue XC70Volvo: "Anything else just isn't up to it" and Wife's Volvo S70: "In manual Transmission She Trusts"

Default 2001 V70 X/C Transmission Lawsuit

Hey Folks,

Have been lurking on this website for some time now but this is actually my first post. Really fantastic resource and very interesting to connect with like-minded Cross Country enthusiasts!
    I work with an independent Volvo repair facility in So. California & can personally attest to the weakness of the XC70 transmissions in the model years of 2001/02 (prior to the update to the 2.5T engine in MY 03).
    For myself, I have a 2002 XC which has just ticked over 65k miles. First I had a tranny reflash after experiencing some severe shift shock when going up and down hills, but then found a few weeks later after the problem reared its ugly head again that it was going to give out on me altogether. So off to the shop it has gone for a full rebuild. The info I have received from a number of reliable (and knowledgeable) sources is that the valve bodies in the 01 & 02 trannys were defective, and Volvo rectified the problem when the switch was made in 03. My car had the valve body replaced and now (fingers crossed) it seems to be running ok.
    If you would like any more info about me or my specific situation, please let me know & I can give more details - I have full receipts for back up as well. As much as I love these vehicles, I would have to put my name forward for the formal complaint to V of NA.

It's not just the valve body issue, it's a combination of things. TCM program, no filter, "lifetime" fluid rec maintenance, cooler issues, etc. Good luck on the class action. Probably not going to succeed.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Yes, absolutely agree with you about there being multiple issues, but I've been told the valve body is the main concern; this input given to me from four different techs, each one being ASE Certified & having worked on Volvos for at least 10 years, as well as my own personal experience. Not sure if the 1999-2001 S80s used the same tranny, but we also see plenty of those cars come in to the shop with relatively low miles needing full transmission rebuilds. Like the XC's, the S80 tran problems seem to have been rectified with later (03 onwards) MY vehicles. I am a diehard Volvo fanatic, but am not enamored with the apparent vulnerability of their early MY transmissions.

2002 Volvo XC Silver
    Premium, Climate & Versatility Pkgs. Tints, E1 Alloys, Cobra Alarm, Rockford Fosgate Amp, JL Audio Sub, Modified Wastegate, Rebuilt Transmission

I've got an '01 XC70 with about 75k miles on it. Basically the transmission is fine, but I have noticed that for about the first 5 minutes of driving after a cold start the transmission is reluctant to downshift, and will stay in 2nd gear at around 3,000rpm as I drive through my neighborhood on the way to the highway.

Is this a problem that fits in with your potential lawsuit? Or is this just a normal behavior to help warm up the engine/turbo?
    Kubrick

Kubrick, I would guess that the lawsuit class will only include people with transmission failure. If yours is OK then you wouldn't be included.

As far as yours not shifting when cold, sounds normal but I don't really know because I always warm ours up before driving it. From the manual:

When starting in cold weather, the transmission may shift up at slightly higher engine speeds than normal until the automatic transmission fluid reaches normal operating temperature.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    I've got an '01 XC70 with about 75k miles on it. Basically the transmission is fine, but I have noticed that for about the first 5 minutes of driving after a cold start the transmission is reluctant to downshift, and will stay in 2nd gear at around 3,000rpm as I drive through my neighborhood on the way to the highway.

Is this a problem that fits in with your potential lawsuit? Or is this just a normal behavior to help warm up the engine/turbo?
    Kubrick, I have an '01 XC70 with 84K and the original tranny. Personally, I would rather attempt to preserve what I have rather than get involved with a lawsuit. If there seems to have been a change in the behavior of your tranny, suggest that you have your transmission checked for fault codes and make sure that you have the latest software update. Check your fluid for the condition and level. My transmission is very sensitive to over filling, for instance. If you haven't had a flush and fill of the fluid, you need it by now.

Default 75K miles on our 2002 XC tranny

75K miles on our 2002 XC tranny and it continues to run fine.

I've had the fluid changed 3 times, and the ECU reflashed each time updated software has come out.

The valve body was replaced under warranty.

You'll need to find proof that many cars are defective, and I just don't see that happening.

Now, I'm climbing onto my soapbox:
    It is so nice that whenever we have a problem in America, there is soom bloodthirsty hound trying to put together a class-action lawsuit. With all the work that is involved in putting together a lawsuit, what on earth do you hope to gain? All you'd get is a new tranny, and Volvo would probably give that to you anyway if you document your case. If you are looking to hit the "pain and suffering" jackpot, you should look elsewhere.

Dear Gundo:

I am not looking for a jackpot, just a new tranny. If you pay for it, I'll get on my soapbox and talk nice about you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast