Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rear shocks

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    I think the self-leveling system involves a small air pump, tubing to each rear shock and a sensor that detects the ride-height of the tail end and turns the pump on and off. Not a simple upgrade, I would guess.
    Nope

Many cars do operate like that but the XC70 shocks are stand alone and have lots of special valving and sucklike inside so they operate based on the weight on them

Probably why they are lots of ££££s

I replaced mine at 130K miles, used std volvo parts fitted for approx £500 - parts purchased with discount (15% I think) through Volvo in Stafford. Tried to get a local garage to fit the shocks ( non volvo franchise) and they walked away from it.
    Phil
    2001 XC 70 Manual, + (wife) 2004 V70 2.4 Manual
    Staffordshire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by ffynnondewi View Post
    I replaced mine at 130K miles, used std volvo parts fitted for approx £500 - parts purchased with discount (15% I think) through Volvo in Stafford. Tried to get a local garage to fit the shocks ( non volvo franchise) and they walked away from it.
    So did you do it yourself in the end? Just wondering. Mine is in at the local garage now so we will see.

Cheers
    C

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ffynnondewi View Post
    Just to be sure, did you do a Nivo to non-Nivo conversion, or just replace what you had? If you did the conversion, what parts did you need?
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

Quote Originally Posted by kling View Post
    In addition, damaged shocks are dangerous, therefore must be replaced right away. Shocks are major parts of the system that adjusts for the changing driving conditions. They must be always be in good working condition. I always replace my <LINK REMOVED> whenever needed, as suggested by a mechanic.
    Thanks for that although of course we may not know why on earth you have suddenly started posting loads of similar messages promoting this website when they don't stock shocks for an XC70 (proving the point of your post is to promote this site and not answer the query).

C

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I have found (and I sell a LOT of Volvos) that regular rear shocks are good, (for the average driver) for about 60-80K miles, some have actually still worked fairly well at 90K.
    Fronts are good (again, for the average owner, not an enthusiast) for 90 to 110K miles.
    NIVOMATS are usually good for around 100K, plus or minus. At that time they start to make small noises which become bigger noises soon thereafter.
    Naturally all cars are different, if you live in the south with smooth roads they can last for much longer. If you live here in PA or in Mich, they crap out much sooner!
    JRL

I can agree zith this, as mine had covered 106000 european kms when front shocks were replaced. Now, at 150000kms, I feel the rears (non-nivomat) are bad. They don't filter small unevenness eg on highways. Had been looking for self-leveling too, but don't know prices yet.

My old 740 had Nivomats that I replaced with Bilstein HD. Trouble was, the coil springs were too weak, so tail was down. I replaced springs with heavy duty items. This worked very well. When searching for the right springs, my mechanic at that time, told me (somewhat late) that a kit existed for 740/940 which included nivomat shocks + appropriate springs and anti-sway for approx 30% less than two single nivomats. (24000 instead of 34000 belgian francs back then).

Maybe something like that still exists in form of a dealer accessory number(separate Volvo catalog between the floor mats and extra lighting etc etc).

I'm curious, but for now I would opt for standard shocks in my case.

Greets , Hans
    Hans
    2000 V70XC 2.4T LPGas
    ash gold pearl outside, oak inside
    Atlantis + Goodyear F1 235/50-18
    [santa] Tellus + Michelin PA2 215/65-16
    NO roofrails, NO badges on hatch

What I found was there wasn't a non-Nivomat alternative for the XC70's increased ride height (in the UK at least).

C

Quote Originally Posted by xc70-uk View Post
    What I found was there wasn't a non-Nivomat alternative for the XC70's increased ride height (in the UK at least).

C
    ipd does have Eibach sport springs for the XC 70 at $262USD for the set. You might be able to combine this with the non-Nivo Sachs struts ($94 each from FCP Groton) and eliminate the Nivomat shocks. These springs will lower the ride height. The only other question is whether any other parts are needed to complete the conversion. I still have not seen this addressed in any posts on this or any other forum.
    2004 XC70 43K Silver over Graphite, Premium and Cold Weather packages.
    2001 V70 XC, 93K, 08/01 build in Torslanda, Sweden, stock except for K&N. Gone but not forgotten.
    1995 850 Turbo - great ride with 225K, not mine any more
    2004 XC90 - it's gone
    1993 850 GLT - not really missed
    1986 GMC Suburban 2500, 454 V8 - for pulling really heavy things.
    VCOA

So, has anyone done the switch from Nivomat to non- (or vice versa).

What are the experiences?

Hans
    Hans
    2000 V70XC 2.4T LPGas
    ash gold pearl outside, oak inside
    Atlantis + Goodyear F1 235/50-18
    [santa] Tellus + Michelin PA2 215/65-16
    NO roofrails, NO badges on hatch

just to let you know about this shock subject:

Here in Belgium, Volvo still has a ride levelling kit to keep the rear end steady and level when fully loaded or towing a trailer. Sadly it costs around 1050€ from the Volvo dealer. This kit includes shock absorbers, springs, strut mounts, anti-roll bar and all the other stuff you need. The part number in Vida/Vadis is 949 914 3

Oh, and it is NOT compatible with four-C chassis.

Hope this is useful info to someone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast