Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear shocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default rear shocks

hi everyone my 2000 xc70(p2 platform) has just failed the uk mot test on one rear shock it has self feveling nivomat shocks on it which cost a staggering £316 each plus vat(17.5%) i have rang around and have been offered a koni fsd suspension kit from volvo tuning for £369 plus vat ,for front and rear shockers,i would like to replace both rears as i imagine if one is leaking the other wont be far behind,my questions are as follows,
    1, has anyone had one of these kits fitted,if so are they any good
    2, i dont paticulaly need self leveling so can i convert my car to non self leveling using standard volvo shocks(103 plus vat each)
    3, does anyone know where i can buy standard nivomats at a resonable rate i presume i can fly abroad somewhere and buy them cheaper and have a weekend of it somewhere(prauge ,amsterdam etc)would be nice

thanks to anyone who has time and knowledge to reply Dave:

I don't know how you feel about the behavior of your XC. MY2001+ XC's are known
    to give a somewhat tighter suspension when equiped with the self leveling shocks.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

I recently changed the rear struts on my '01 P2 XC; fortunately, they were not the Nivomats, which do not seem to be reasonably priced anywhere in the world. I researched the availability of aftermarket rear shocks extensively, and posted the information on Swedespeed.com if you wish to check the details, but the bottom line is that, at least on this side of the pond, there are no aftermarket shocks available. I called ipd specifically about the Koni FSD shocks, but they confirmed that they will not work on the XC. It's possible that in the UK you have FSD available, but before you purchase, check very carefully to be sure that they will work.

That said, one possible option would be to convert to the non-self-leveling shocks. I paid $94.50 USD each for these. I understand that you will need new springs as well, but I doubt the springs are that expensive. If the upper strut mount and lower control arm attachment are the same on a Nivomat equipped XC, you would be in business for a conversion! Details for doing changing the standard struts can be found on Swedespeed.com.

Oh yes. Eurosporttuning in Canada has a Heico conversion for the XC. It's $3000. I think that is the only option for aftermarket shocks. Best of luck to you.

Angry

Dave - did you get anywhere with this? I have a similar problem although mine has an MOT but one rear shock is definitely knackered.

I have phoned just about everyone and had no luck at all.

Not sure about the Koni FSD kit as the XC70 Nivomat has different rate springs (much softer) as the Nivomat shocks take some load to do their magic. Otherwise I was going to bang standard rear shocks and do away with self levelling.

At the moment the best I have is £343 delivered from Gavin at http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/ although I am about to hopefully speak with another supplier, Nordic, who have been very helpful so far.

Will post the results when I get an answer from the guys there.

I have now come to terms with the fact that I am going to have fork out the cash but it annoys the hell out of me. One supplier said that Volvo have patented the shock absorber design and so controls their sale - if this is true it pretty much stinks as a non-genuine self levelling shock absorber for an 850/V70 is about 100-150 and I am sure they buy them cheaper than I can so their mark up must be at least £150 per side

What annoys me even more is I actually quite like the car otherwise I would cut my losses and bang it in the auction.

Best of luck
    Craig
    www.xc70.co.uk

I have just bought a 2001 XC70 with 70K Km and found the original equipment was providing very poor damping - especially on poor country roads in Australia.

I do not have self levelling rear suspension and have just upgraded front struts and rear shocks with Boges after market (Boges Turbo on front and not sure exact Boges model on rear).

So far very happy with the result and cost about AUD400 per unit.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiexc70 View Post
    I do not have self levelling rear suspension and have just upgraded front struts and rear shocks with Boges after market (Boges Turbo on front and not sure exact Boges model on rear).
    You lucky person

I am sure the self levelling is great if you use it but when you get to the point of having an older vehicle and don't really need it the cost is eye watering

C

I would love to see Koni build some of their FSD dampers for the XC70, for both the front and rear.

http://www.koni.com/FSD/index.html

Thumbs down Self leveling shocks are OEM replacement, right?

I am in the process of shopping for new shocks because my mechanic says I am due and we travel with a packed car on ski trips and definitely notice to lowered appearance and changed handling. In shopping for the replacement shocks on the Internet, it appears that the forum coments might be in error, or, more likely, I am missing something. The replacement shocks that I have found indicate that they are "self-leveling." See: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mm...cks~parts.html
    for example. There are many other cites which describe this part as self leveling. Many cites also list thios as the replacement OEM part for the 01 XC70. Is it possible that this newer part does the same thing for less $?
    I think it's more likely that the shock is simply being misdescribed.
    2002 XC70, Silver/Grey, Yakama Rocketbox and ski racks, cable chains (never used/needed), new Contitnentals at 30k.

Question

SierraSkier, read carefully. The link you provider states "exc. self-leveling." These are the same non-Nivomats that I installed. Suggest calling Nick Bauer at FCPGroton with the Nivomat suspension code or PN (you must have this to get the correct strut!) to have an idea of the what the lowest price is on Nivomats. Might try Boston Volvo Village - also seem to have good prices.

The suspension code is on the metal tag in the engine bay. It is the number in the bottom right corner. A reputable dealer or parts supplier will ask for this before quoting a price for you.
    Last edited by volvoshad; 11-29-2006 at 04:18 AM.

I replaced mine at 130K miles, used std volvo parts fitted for approx £500 - parts purchased with discount (15% I think) through Volvo in Stafford. Tried to get a local garage to fit the shocks ( non volvo franchise) and they walked away from it.
    Phil
    2001 XC 70 Manual, + (wife) 2004 V70 2.4 Manual
    Staffordshire, UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast