Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Much Is "Certified" Worth?

I'm looking for an '03 or '04 XC70 in Washington State, since there just aren't any up here in Alaska. Several of the Washingtom dealers have Certified used XC70s.
    Do you think that this makes the car worth a couple thousand dollars more than a non-certified or private seller car?
    Will the fact that I bring up a Certified Volvo to Alaska likely
    be honored in any way by the dealers up here?
    Thanks for your views.

I would think the 03 and 04 would still be under factory warranty unless the mileage is past 50k. The value of most "certified" vehicles is they include a substantial extended warranty. You might also give a local dealer a call and ask them how they handle certified Volvos.
    2004 XC70 - Ash Gold/Taupe, Premium, Touring, Integrated Boosters, rear skid plate.
    2004 S60 - Ash Gold/Sand, Premium, Touring.
    John Deere GX-345 (main ride) Green/Yellow

"To Have Peace, Teach Peace"

My 02 was purchased Certified by Volvo w a 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty. It had 45 grand on the clock and I bought it for just under $20,000 with all taxes and fees. I've seen plenty of 02's in the $17-18,000 range, but they do not have the warranty, which indicates the extended warranty is worth about $2,000.00 or so.

Best regards

XC-70, Silver, Graphite
    S430, Silver, Charcoal
    530i, Orient Blue, Dove Gray
    Taurus - Jest keeps on tickin!

I can help put a price on it. I just finished the "car search" thrash. I was looking at a '03 XC70 at a dealer in NJ. It was NOT CPO, but the dealer said they would "CPO it" for $1950, IIRC. CPO extends the warranty to 6 years from date "in service" and/or 100K miles, plus theres a checklist they have to run through; they're supposed to replace any wear item with less than 80% life left, etc. I ended up with a CPO '03 XC70 from an outstanding dealer in NC, and when they brought the car in off lease (42K miles) and put it through the CPO paces, they replaced the tires, front brakes, and did the 45K service.

As far as the dealer goes, it's my understanding they have no choice in "how they handle CPO cars." The warranty is a Volvo Factory Warranty, and I would think the dealer would be jeapordizing their franchise if they chose to ignore a factory warranty. It's not like it's a warranty from "#1 Warranties-R-Us."

My story is very much the same as scottNH. Just purchased a CPO 02 XC w42k on the odometer. The dealer replaced tires, brakes and did the 45k service. The warranty is good for 100k or 6 years from the in service date. In my case that is 58k miles and two years.

It is also my understanding that all volvo dealers will honor thre CPO warranty.

Ed

Thanks to you folks for all the helpful info.
    So if I understand correctly, the original warranty when the car was new is 5 years/50,000 miles. This is transferable to the second (or third) buyer.
    Then if the car is CPO'd you get a 6 year/100,000 warranty. So while you get an additional 50,000 miles, you only get one additional year under the CPO warranty, because the "service date" is when the first owner bought it.
    Is that how it works?

JP
    Last edited by jpalaska; 10-26-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    1984 240 GL
    1986 911 Carrera

Quote Originally Posted by jpalaska View Post
    Thanks to you folks for all the helpful info.
    So if I understand correctly, the original warranty when the car was new is 5 years/50,000 miles. This is transferable to the second (or third) buyer.
    Then if the car is CPO'd you get a 6 year/100,000 warranty. So while you get an additional 50,000 miles, you only get one additional year under the CPO warranty, because the "service date" is when the first owner bought it.
    Is that how it works?

JP
    True, to my understanding, with the following exception: my understanding was the original warranty was 4yr/50K, or at least it was for my '03. I got 2 additional years and 50K additional miles. I was also offered the option to "buy" additional years on the warranty (at like $1K/yr) when I bought the car, so if you're afraid you'll time-out before you mileage-out, you can buy some additional time. Warranty goes with the car, not the owner.

yes the CPO warranty is 6 years from the "in service" date which is the date the car is sold new. The in service date On my 02 was Aug 02 leaving leaving me 1 year and 11 months on the vehicle I purchased in Sept 06.

Quote Originally Posted by jpalaska View Post
    I'm looking for an '03 or '04 XC70 in Washington State, since there just aren't any up here in Alaska. Several of the Washingtom dealers have Certified used XC70s.
    Do you think that this makes the car worth a couple thousand dollars more than a non-certified or private seller car?
    Will the fact that I bring up a Certified Volvo to Alaska likely
    be honored in any way by the dealers up here?
    Thanks for your views.
    You really need to ask a Dealer in Alaska. In germany (I shipped my XC70 from the US) they honored the factory warranty but NOT the CPO warranty. They said it was only valid in the US and the PDF on the volvo website unfortunately only says "TERRITORY: United States and Canada", which does not specify 48 or all states.

My friend has a Mercedes he brough to Germany from the US.. and the local dealers will NOT honor his FACTORY warranty. He was quite livid for such an expensive GERMAN car!! They said it was only good in North America.. ha not all cars are created equal.
    Goodluck
    1996 850 GLE (Gone)
    2001 XC70 (Gone)
    2005 S60R (Gone)
    2011 XC90 V8

As a fellow Alaskan I can attest to the value of the Certification program. As I see it, the certification from the Dealer is verification that the "used" car meets the standard to qualifiy for the full+ warranty. Ours will expire at the end of this calander year.

We bought our "Certified Pre-owned" 2000 XC in February of 2002, drove it 1,500 miles in WA, OR & CA before we had it shipped to AK where we do not have reasonable access to a Volvo Dealer. Our local Ford Dealer has been great in helping with the primary warranty maintenance and a warranty claim to replace the "transfer case". The trouble is, our Ford Dealer doesn't have access to the Volvo diagnostic computer software. I'm hoping they see the light and diversify to add "Volvo" to their franchise sometime in the near future.

I highly recommend the Certification and any extended warranty that is available. It sure is nice if something goes wrong. I paid $220 for a $2,250 repair job. We really like our car.
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast