Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Stop Lamp

Default Check Stop Lamp

I am getting this message every time I step on the brake. I had my wife step on the brake while I looked at the brake lights. About one time in five both right and left brake lights don't light. The center light always lights. At first I thought the relay (if one is used) might be going bad, but I think that one relay would control all three brake lights. Help!
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

There was a recall on the brake relays a while back but it doesn't appear that it affects your MY03. It still might be worth checking out those relays.

Recall - Brake Light Relay Replacement
    V70 (01-)/V70 XC (01-)

Section3

Group36

No

Year

Month02

Recall Campaign No.131 Brake Light Relay

Background:

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC and Volvo Cars of Canada, Ltd. have decided that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists in the rear left and right brake light relays of certain model year 2002 V70 and V70 XC (Cross Country) vehicles. In some cases, the brake lights may not function when the brake pedal is depressed or may stay on continuously. In both cases, the high positioned brake light and all other tail lights will not be affected.

The corrective action will be to replace the brake relay with two relays of a modified design.

Competence requirement

Volvo Level 1 Technician

Material

Description Quantity P/N

Relay 2 8651661

Service:
    All affected vehicles must have two new relays installed in the rear electronic module (REM) as described below.

Removing the original relay 1

Remove the left rear cargo compartment trim panel in order to access the Rear Electronic Module. With the ignition off, REMOVE the RELAY installed in position RMI 5 and position RMI 6 in the REM, which controls both brake lights and the rear fog light as shown.

Installing replacement relays 2

Install TWO new relays, part number 8651661 in the REM positions RMI 5 and RMI 6 as shown.

Verify functionality 3

Verify the function of all brake lights, tail lights, rear fog light, and reinstall cargo compartment Trim panels.

Art-Thanks that sounds just like my problem. Is this forum great or what?
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Art, does the arrow point to the relay(s) that I need to replace? The access cover does not appear to give access to the forward part of the board that contains the relays the arrow points to. Do I need to remove the side panel to get to the relays? If so how?

Thanks again for your help.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Cool Same problem

I have the exact same problem with my 03XC. I step on the brakes, get a "check stop lights" message, center top stoplights works just fine, but non of the side stop lights work.... I already checked the cicuitbrakers and put new bulbs in.
    I will try to have the relay changed as well, to see if that does the trick.
    Thanx.

DanishXCViking

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by wgriswold
    Art, does the arrow point to the relay(s) that I need to replace? The access cover does not appear to give access to the forward part of the board that contains the relays the arrow points to. Do I need to remove the side panel to get to the relays? If so how?

Thanks again for your help.
    Walt,

The recall only affects MY2001/2002 so you may already have the modified relays installed. You may, however, want to check just to make sure. The arrow refers to the old relay which occupies the two positions with respect to the brake lights and the rear fog light.

As far as removing the other forward side panel goes, you would first have to remove the top cover where the air vents are located, as indicated in the diagram below.

Art- thanks again. I suppose one of the two replacement relays is for the brake lights and the other is for the fog light. Maybe the brake light one is intermittently failing. Interestingly, I get the message every time I step on the brake but the message is only stored as a message about 20% of the time. About the same percentage of the time that the brake lights fail to light up. I'll post the solution when it is discovered.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

I had my brake lights fixed at a dealer yesterday. I just stopped in on a trip and they fixed in immediately. Probably because of the safety problem. Anyway, the service advisor replaced one of the bulbs first because he thought both of them could be bad. Seemed unlikely to me but that is their procedure. It took him some time to replace the bulb. It seems that you have to have really small hands since he finally got a small tech to do it. Maybe I can train my wife or grandchildern to do it. Then he replaced the relay and all was well. Good service. The dealer was south of Santa Rosa on 101 in California.
    Wait Griswold
    2003 XC70
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

'02 V70XC
    Same problem, Volvo service swears there's no recall and suggested I try new bulbs. New bulbs = warning still occurs. With my daughters foot on the brake, if I tap on the relay, brake lights will come on/warning goes away. Parts dept says double relay part number changed to two seperate numbers. Ordered up for tommorow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Update: Replaced single relay with two smaller ones. Problem solved.
    Last edited by AeroCam; 11-09-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Big THANK YOU to those on this thread. My 03 went through this problem this past week and this thread lead me to the relays and the cure. This forum is an outstanding resource.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast