Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Gotta' Watch that AWD*70

Just when we think he's an Irishman (hope I got that right Cameron) esconced beyond the pond, he reminds us that he has visited Canada several times - including Alberta. Now how many other folks would know what a Hoodoo even is let alone where to find them?

I have a message into Taylor (aka as Coastal to us) asking whether he can set up a section headlined as "Volvo Drives". This could be part of the general Vehicles section - not buried in Off Topics. I seldom visit the Off Topics section as they are an eclectic mix of posts unrelated to our vehicles. "Volvo Drives" on the other hand, would strike my fancy, particularly if we could get contributions from folks around the world. I bought the car because it is comfortable and driving is my favourite past time. Just seeing the winter pictures in another recent post brings back great memories and sharpens the appetite for the coming ski season. What a great way to remind us of our vehicles and why we bought them.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Default re: John in the Rockies

I don't know whether "AWDsplat" is Irish, well he certainly hasn't got a brogue, though some of his stories are a bit tall...

I think like many British people he's a bit mixed (up). I don't mind admitting to being a bit of Scot, Welsh, Irish and a helluva long time ago, French. He certainly does get around and has some fascinating stories...

Anyway, I think the "Volvo Drives" is a jolly good idea, especially with pictures or even short video clips like "We did our own tests" on the previous version of the Fora. I took copies if anyone cares to resurrect that thread.

VCUK recently ran a series of test drives and demos doing a bit of off-roading, and were prepared to get the cars really muddy. As the runs were at two industry test grounds we were not allowed to take pictures - a great shame, but understandable. It was interesting to note that the cars were XC70s (with the new diesels) not 90's - I wonder why.

It does show that in the UK Volvo is keen to show the capabilities of these vehicles and perhaps get the sales figures up a bit.

If anyone's interested they did:-

Tyre screaming (very fast around a track in a T5)
    Sliding sideways, also very fast in S60Rs and V70Rs
    Mini mud plugging, crawling up 1 in 10 slopes at tickover in XC70 diesels.

Very impressive...
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Thumbs up I am what I am....

My passport says I am a member of the European Community, so that makes me ......... European. No more French or German or Irish either.. we are all European now.

I do like the idea of showing off our cars in different areas and situations.

It was very unfortunate that VUK decided to run their drive for life for the whole year, this scuppered our 2005 meet, so maybe in hindsight VUK were a little frightened that a meet might out do their position in the market place.
    Maybe we could show our cars in the worst possible place, like going off a cliff with the caption 'testing the air bags' haha.

Quote Originally Posted by John@CdnRockies
    Just when we think he's an Irishman (hope I got that right Cameron) esconced beyond the pond, he reminds us that he has visited Canada several times - including Alberta. Now how many other folks would know what a Hoodoo even is let alone where to find them?

I have a message into Taylor (aka as Coastal to us) asking whether he can set up a section headlined as "Volvo Drives". This could be part of the general Vehicles section - not buried in Off Topics. I seldom visit the Off Topics section as they are an eclectic mix of posts unrelated to our vehicles. "Volvo Drives" on the other hand, would strike my fancy, particularly if we could get contributions from folks around the world. I bought the car because it is comfortable and driving is my favourite past time. Just seeing the winter pictures in another recent post brings back great memories and sharpens the appetite for the coming ski season. What a great way to remind us of our vehicles and why we bought them.

John
    Ha ha - http://www.aurorabanff.com/
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

No kidding Cameron ... you are all just plain Europeans now? Well at least one town in Ontario is secure in the knowledge that you still drink Guinness like an Irishman!

And for everyone's benefit he was debonair enough to have his choice of Canadian lasses except he would inevitably start yapping about Volvos. Got dropped like a hot potato once he launched into the finer points of an XC70 ... which only goes to show that we need more visitors to this site.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Wink This will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC
    OK, as it has Coastal's blessing I will put up with it under one condition Art, you will have to go to Drumheller (if my memory serves me right) and get some wonder shots of your XC amongst the Hoodoo's. I think those 'pillars' are one of nature's strangest sites. With the right light, position and placement of the XC it could appear the place is somewhere off this Planet. Please.
    Sorry to disappoint you Cameron, but this is the best I could come up with. Just imagine an abstract XC parked in the foreground.

Red face Ooo to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by John@CdnRockies
    And for everyone's benefit he was debonair enough to have his choice of Canadian lasses except he would inevitably start yapping about Volvos. Got dropped like a hot potato once he launched into the finer points of an XC70 ...
    John
    As my face turns a couple of shades of red etc, if I remember correctly she said her mother had a Volvo 'Cross Country' maybe a model XC99 , oh how we laughed at her expence. Still one day she look back at our conversation with hindsight and say we drove good cars, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Art
    Sorry to disappoint you Cameron, but this is the best I could come up with. Just imagine an abstract XC parked in the foreground.

What's the name of this place? Looks very similar to:

Last edited by SYS; 11-02-2005 at 07:02 PM.
    '05 XC70 Crystal Green - DSTC - 6CD Changer - Rear Park Assist - Third Row - Integrated Booster - Nokian WR - Thule Evolution 1600 on Wing Profile. Photos of XC70: http://sys-2005volvoxc70.blogspot.com/ Travel Photos: http://my-traveling-photolog.blogspot.com/

I think it is Drumheller in Southern Alberta, but Art will confirm it I am sure, I think I camped down beside the river, while the indians had a BBQ on the other side of the gorge, water was never enough to keep us apart, we moved on the following day.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Yep, AWD’s right. His knowledge of our local geography is impeccable.

Drumheller is located east of Calgary near Dinosaur Provincial Park. The photo of Horseshoe Canyon was shot at a viewpoint just a few kms outside of the townsite.

http://www.traveldrumheller.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast