Thumbs up Imported post

Our 04 has a 613 stereo, which after playing with the hidden equalizer, sounded reasonable. However, it still didn't rank with some of the systems I have installed in our other cars. The bass just isn't there, and if you force it with the equalizer, the amplifier clips (sine wave distortion).

So, for a Valentines Day present to each other, we bought a subwoofer at my wife's suggestion. Here are my thoughts.

1. It is a very high quality, well thought out unit. It comes with the subwoofer module, wiring harness, new jack holder, and a nice looking carpet mat to cover everything under the deck lid.

2. If you want really sanitary wiring, the installation is a little time consuming. I played around with things for 3 hours or so. I could probably do my second in 1.5 or so.

3. Everything fit perfect. No wallowing holes or Dremel tool work.

4. You do have to cut the sound insulation panel that currently fits half way over the spare so the new jack holder will fit. I like the new holder, no chance of rattles and it gives extra support to the deck panel above.

5. Wiring is top notch, no cut and splice. You pull the fuse block out, plug the power wiring plug right into the fuse slot. The power-on lead wire spade goes right into a hole in a terminal block. This slides back on to the terminal pins. It all looks factory.

6. The instructions weren't exactly crystal clear on where that power on spade went, it showed the back side of the block instead of the front, so I put the wire in slot 9 instead of slot 2. It took a while to diagnose that I had chosen poorly. But the error didn't fry anything.

7. And now the part that really counts, it sounds great. With that much available base, I can turn down the base going to the original system speakers. This gives original amp much more headroom for playing midrange and treble cleaner.  Everything sounds better.  It's now much better than the Bose in our Infiniti.

8. I paid $411 UPSed to my door.  My dealer quoted $571 plus tax. I was a little disappointed in the Volvo packaging, part of the module had pounded through a point where the cardboard was single wall. No damage though.

9. It's the best Valentines present ever, and I didn't even have to go to the mall for a goofy Valentines card!

'04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Unhappy Imported post

How do you change the 613 hidden equalizer settings?
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green Metallic prem, tour, nav packages
    2003 Saab 9-3 Black

Default Imported post

asilverm,

Thanks for the posting. Two questions though:
    1. Are you or your wife now missing the under-floor cargo space occupied by the sub? This is our main obstacle for deciding to install the subwoofer.
    2. Could you please post the link of the site from which you have ordered the sub?

Default Imported post

Replies,

1. It's at AutoWebAccessories.com They were great, and even $50 better than my other favorite place to buy stuff mail order/phone order.

2. No noticeable loss of space that would bother me. The surface that the woofer creates and carpet mat sits on is about 2 or 3 inches below the rear deck. If you want to go into grocery holder mode like with the plastic tray that comes out, no problem.  In fact, it's probably better because the cool looking carpet mat isn't as slippery.  It's entirely flat, so I am thinking that it will be a good place for extra tools and stuff wrapped in towels. Also, I noticed that the front lifting deck lid has quite a bit of room under it for widely folded blanket to keep handy for messy loads, etc.

3. To go into the secret equalizer, turn the stereo off.  Push and hold the right most big button (I am going from memory).  Simultaneously push the power on button and hold it down too.  After about 5 seconds, the equalizer will pop up on the display. Let go of both buttons. Pushing the right button will sequence through Front low1, front low 2, front mid, front high, rear low, rear mid, rear high.

'04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Default Imported post

I just started a post on ways to improve on the HU613 . . . sounds like you are heading down the very same track!

With the sub, am I right in presuming that it is drowned out when you fill the back with luggage? I understand that it sits under the floor so I guess it sends the music upwards, but if I have boxes sitting on it what good is that??

Have you planned to upgrade the speakers too?? Apparently the lucky folks with HU-803 systems have much better speakers (plus one in the front middle of the dash). Would be good to know the model numbers of some aftermarket speakers for us to use! Probably just need the ones in the front seat area changed?

Any other people been here before us??

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Question Will the subwoofer install with the 3rd row seat installed?

Another question: Will the Volvo sub work with a 3rd row seat installed?

The Volvo accessories catalog says that the two are incompatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    The Volvo accessories catalog says that the two are incompatible.

.... ah well, I guess I'll just have to get the kids to stomp their feet in time with the beat then