Thread: Skid plate

Default Skid plate

Hi there,

New to the forum and to the XC community I already wish to thank all participants for helping me out with tire selection and other usefull information.

Picked my car up last week after purchasing it from the local dealer in the Saudi Eastern province (Dammam). The car had no skidplates and I negiotated them to be installed before delivery. The dealer however would not install the front skidplate since Saudi is to hot for it!? It would make the engine to hot and problems with transmission oil 'over cooking' made them decide to remove all front skid plates (even new cars) before delivery.

Now Saudi is indeed very hot during the summer (45 c +) but I guess these temps are not unfamiliar for parts in the US either. Anybody has experience with this subject?

That is just non-sense to me.. the skid plate is just to protect the front underbody. Hot or Cold weather will not make big difference with or without the skid plate. If it was true, Volvo Cars will have a delete the option for front skid plate in hot weather areas with your dealer's "comments about overheating trans/engine". I wouldn't take that.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Hallo RedXC,

That's what I thought. Thanks for replying and I will confront the dealer at the next visit.

Aragon,

I am buying one in Qatar and it has both front and rear skid plates. All the ones sold in here have them. So do not accept that argument. By the way, how much are they selling in KSA?

Smile Saudi XC70

Hello Dani K.,

Good to hear I'm not the only one from the region. You know Saudi. I already thought the skidplate story was .

Bought my 2001 XC for SAR 45,000.00 ($ 11,984.02) and the details are as follows:

102003 KM.
    Nautic blue
    Taupe full leather
    Gulf spec (what ever that exactly may be. Seems to vary by car) but at least:
    - sunroof
    - automatic
    - 40/20/40 2nd row seats
    - 3rd row child seats (which I won't need)
    - HU 603
    - ECC
    - electric driver seat
    - I have to go and look

I contacted Alaa Al-katoury from VOLVO Qatar before but they didn't have XC's available that time. I was lucky to find one in Saudi since it is not a popular car in these regions as you know.

My one I found with Zahid Tractors (VOLVO Importer) in Jeddah and had it shipped to Dammam. The car is in reasonable shape and since I polished the plastic trim and did condition the leather it looks just fine. Next thing to do is clean and wax the paint, replace the tires (I am doubting between the Pirelli STR and Michelin Hydroedge) and the car is ready for a trip to Europe!

You are in the process of buying one right now? Keep me posted.