Default Tire of choice for 2000 V70XC SE?

My current set of tires will need replacing in the next year, so I thought it was worth asking what people recommend. I've seen the recommendations in this forum for the 15" standard XC wheel, but the SE has a 16" wheel so this question is aimed at SE owners in particular.

Default Tires 2000 V70XC SE "16 Inch

This is just my opinion. I endorse the OEM Continental Touring Contacts that came on the car. We have been very pleased with the feel and performance. It has been said that the Continentals don't have the best mileage. So be it. I will buy Continentals (perhaps the better grade Continental tires) when these wear out. We use Continental tires on both our 2000 XC's.

Cheers, Rabbit
    Last edited by Rabbit; 07-17-2005 at 02:00 PM.
    1978 242 DL Sedan
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Beige)
    1989 240 DL Wagon (Silver)
    2000 V70 XC Moondust
    2000 V70 XC SE Moondust

Thumbs up

Of the three sets of tires I have used on my SE, my favorites are the Michelin Hydroedge tire and here is why. First COSTCO carries them...I can get service very easily should it be needed. Second, an 85K mile wear warranty...these tires wear like iron (I believe they are rated 850 ABB)! ANd finally, they drive on the highway like the car is on rails...they are silent and grip the road very well. These tires would be awful if you used them in the snow...they ARE NOT designed for that (I keep a second set of real snow tires mounted on a set of rims for the winter)...but if you want great dry and wet road traction and good wear, I would recommend these tires highly.

NOT Bridgestone Potenzas (950s or 905s, I think)!

My wife has them on her XC and they HOWL like a turbo-prop plane on the highway. I though somthing was seriously wrong when I first drove it. The service tech kept saying it was the tires but I insisted he scope out the entire AWD system before I would consider purchasing the car.

I was only convinced when I temperarily put on a set of my own 15" Antilla wheels with Toyo all weather tires (taken from my S70). Noise finally disappeared, so I was convinced. Bridgestones when back on the XC with the 16" wheels (for now).

I never knew how loud tires could could be until driving on these. They also got low reviews on tirerack.com for hydroplaning and wet weather handling. They will disappear in the next year in exchange for something else.

I second msh441...I had the junker Potenzas on my Prius new. They were so bad that when Toyota did their phone survey I berated them for putting that junk on a new car. Toyota bought me a new set of Michelins for my car - $500. The Potenzas have one thing going for them, low rolling resistance...but you won;t get 20k miles out of them....pure junk.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nlemerise
    Of the three sets of tires I have used on my SE, my favorites are the Michelin Hydroedge (...) if you want great dry and wet road traction and good wear, I would recommend these tires highly.
    My vote also goes to the HydroEdges!
    Raynald
    Former owner of a 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue
    Sept 2003 - April 2007
    « Sold » with 167,427 km on the clock, to my stepson...
    Still proudly showing volvoXC.com Sticker for posterity !!!

Default Tire of Choice

Hi, very pleased with the Continental ContiExtreme Contact for our 2000 V70XC (not SE).

These are the third set of tires for the car, now at 70K miles. If there is one thing I have noticed about the XC, it is that the car is very hard on its parts which meet the road (uses up tires & brakes, and we have also replaced both front struts; and we don't drive it aggressively). I wonder if the car is relatively too heavy for the specs of these components?

Anyway, found the original Conti Touring too mushy, and they were worn out by about 25K miles. Tried the Bridgstone Potenzas, and agree that these are terrible for wet and snow. However, the Bridgestones definitely handled much better than the original equipment on dry roads. We got about 35K miles out of this set, and they may be an OK choice of you will keep a set of true winter tires.

I never got around to buying a set of winter tires, so went back to an all season tire and chose the ContiExtremes. Used Mavis discount, in Riverside, CT, and was very happy with this dealer as well.
    Last edited by MadRiverXC; 08-22-2005 at 08:07 PM. Reason: add: "on dry roads"