Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Car starts then immediately dies

About 10,000 miles ago I started to have this problem. Occasionally (about 10% of the time) when I start the car, it starts then immediately dies. If I try to restart it, it just cranks and will not start. If I let it sit for about 90 seconds I can usually get it restarted. Letting it sit for anything less than that it normally will not start. Mentioned to my mechanic prior to a recent (my 2nd) throttle module replacement (which I replaced when the light start coming on and would lose power) and he felt the throttle module would solve the problem. It didn't.

2000 XC-SE – European delivery – 107,000 miles.

No correlation to the weather or temperature. But does seem to happen more often after I’ve driven, stop the car for less than 5 minutes and then try to restart it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by bigdog01; 06-29-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Default Try this

If you hold the throttle open a little will is start and keep running?

Default Holding the throttle open

Don - Once it has died, holding the throttle open either a little or lot does not seem to have any impact on any of the restart attempts. It just will not catch until I let it sit for a bit. On the initial start, very occasionally I am able to apply the throttle as it is it dieing and keep the car running. Most often this does not work however.

My 2000 XC SE has this same problem - occassionally. After it stalls, try removing the key - reinserting the key - and try starting again. I found that If I removed the key, and reinserted the key, it would start. My best guess? Perhaps the inhibitor system didn't like the "signature" from the key. Try this out. It works for me.

Cheers, Rabbit
    Last edited by Rabbit; 06-29-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Default Resolved Mostly

Rabbit - you are totally correct. If you remove the key after an initial failure in starting and then reinsert the key it will start. On this second start, you also have some warning so you can also give a little gas to the throttle to assure you maintain the idle so that it starts.

So I now have a workaround, which is very much appreciated!

Is there a permanent fix to this problem?

Default Inhibitor System

I don't know enough about the inhibitor system. I wish I had schematics - I don't even know where the inhibitor module is!

Perhaps a better/permanent fix would be to have the car re-educated to the keys and remotes. I'm speculating that when the car learned the key(s) that it didn't get a good "reflection" or "signature" from the key, so that when the car is started, it gets a "borderline" or faulty reading from the key - shutting the car off. You might try using another key for a while to see if anything changes. Obviously, you would have to go back to a dealer to connect the VADIS computer up, purchase new software, teach the car to recognize the keys and remotes, and still not be 100% sure that your problem had been corrected. I would try another key for a while - just to see if the problem happens again. If it does, I am at a loss to know why, or suggest a way to permanently correct the problem.

Just for laughs.... I had a key made at the Volvo dealer - but it was a key for a S80 series (has a little red dot on it). Well, they cut the key correctly, but the car wasn't able to learn the key. I still have the key, and Volvo had to eat the cost. Now this is the interesting part. The key will start the car, but it cuts out almost immediately - the inhibitor system in action. I can start the car with the proper key, shut off the car - remove the proper key QUICKLY - put the S80 key in and start the car - and it runs fine and doesn't cut out! Obviously, this is virtually worthless, as I wouldn't be able to start the car again once I had shut it off - A one way trip.... LOL!

I plan on hiding this S80 key somewhere on the car as a backup entry key. That's about all it's good for...

I just mentioned this because I found out that the inhibitor system has a delay in resetting to the default setting. It can be faked out. I don't know how much time I would have to switch keys before the inhibitor system resets. I guess I can experiment with it to see how much time it takes for the inhibitor system to reset. Something to play with, I suppose...

Cheers, Rabbit
    Last edited by Rabbit; 07-01-2005 at 09:43 AM.

Default car starts then immediately stalls

This seems to have started happening to my 2002 Volvo v70 XC. I went to start car last saturday morning (loaded up with the kids on a cold northeast NY morning) and the car started but immediately stalled. It did this about 4 times. Finally I managed (not sure how) to get it started.

I drove to gas station (since it was low) to get gas and first put in some dry gas in case it was water in the fuel. (note we park on a steep incline, nose down).

Started fine from Gas station and drove about 20 minutes to the kids grandparents house. After a visit of about 40 minutes the car again would not start (flat driveway).

Called Volvo roadside and (after 3 hours) they towed it to dealer.

Dealer called yesterday to say he cannot replicate problem (seemed to start fine). He wondered if it was water in fuel. Also claimed that nothing came up on diagnostic. Was going to leave it outside in cold last night to see if that would replicate starting problem.

Anyone else have ideas on this?
    2002 V70 XC

Default Car Stalls and Won't Start

I have a 2004XC and the car somtimes shuts off about 3sec after starting. After this happens the car will not start, sometimes just trying to turn over and sometimes turns over and then turns off again after 3sec. Check engine/service light comes on, but eventually goes off. Unfortunately, this has been happening for a couple years infrequently, each time taking it to the dealer (no clear codes from computer according to dealer) and them not being able to duplicate the problem but they have replaced various things. We are concerned with becoming stranded (has happened a couple of times), so now considering to get rid of the vehicle, but really like all other aspects of the XC. Anyone have any ideas or simliar problems?

VAGator

Immobilizer

Default Car starts, then stalls, starts again, stall, then won't start.

Amazingly, I've also experienced the exact same problem. My 2004 V70 2.5T have been "acting" up during the past few months. After the first time this had happened, we took it directly to the dealer when we were able to start it again. They weren't able to determine any problems and suggested that there might be some condensation somewhere that was causing a connection problem (?!!!). We kept driving it periodically to "try" to clear the "condensation".

This vehicle is seldom driven; is always parked on an incline facing down; and covered, as well. The problem persisted. Now, I'm afraid of being stuck somewhere. I know it's not a problem with the keys because the problem persists on several keys.

It then started giving me plenty of strange messages such as engine, transmission, and anti-skid problems.

Last week, the car was taken to my regular Volvo mechanic. They come up with a very long list of fault codes. Immobilizer comes up twice. The antenna ring is replaced and they keep the car for several days to see if it's problematic when starting. No fault codes this time.

I just got the car home today. Unfortunately, the alarm went off twice already while parked on the driveway. Maybe this is nothing, but if it persists, it'll need return to the shop for another check. Wish me luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast