Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question A/C recharge "How-to"

I was trying to find the A/C recharge instructions. Nothing in the owner's manual that I could see. I take it it is the little 6nm labeled valve on passenger side.

Is this the correct fill location? Seems awful odd to put it way down there, near the belts when you need to run the engine when filling (don't you?), doesn't it?

Any other tips/pointers here?

Anyone else interested in this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-25-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Everything I read said use the low side also. That is the one way up in front above the radiator, right? I would imagine they put it there for easy access. Imagine that. If they only did that with oil filters. My brother's RX-7 had the oil filter up top and it drained back into the engine when off, so all you do is unscrew it with no mess at all.

Anyhow, 'tis the season for charging AC and another trip to Walmart tonight should do it if they are not out yet. I figure I'll get 3 cans and do 1 1/2 cans each in the Volvo and Jetta.

Well, I went and bought a new kit at WallyWorld and a few cans of spare 134 (you just know when there is a heat wave that they'll be out). This kit has a nicer valve and a nicer gauge, so should last a while. Of course it was also more expensive.

Anyhow, I charged up the inlaws' Jetta again and everything went perfect, according to plans and jiving with past experience.

Went to fill the Volvo (the valve right at the front near the bumper, remember?), and what should have been simple and easy fell flat on its face. The Volvo uses a non-standard size valve.

So, anyone know what size valve this is, and where I might find an adapter?

Otherwise, I might just use the rest of the first can (1/4 left) for my neighbor's car, or just let it out and call it a day. It was still a savings over the cost to charge just the one car (Jetta), so was still worth the price.

Thanks.

It is the low side do only the high side if you want to get yourself hurt. All the cans are not wrong, only the advice of the poster was. It is low side!
    1996 850 GLE (Gone)
    2001 XC70 (Gone)
    2005 S60R (Gone)
    2011 XC90 V8

I think we are all clear on that.

Now I'm just looking for an adapter for the valve size. The one on the Volvo is bigger than the standard size which is on most other cars.

Although you agree it is the low side to connect the can to, are you still trying to connect to the fitting up front by the radiator? That fitting is the high side. Have you tried the other fitting? The high and low pressure side fittings are different sizes on purpose.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_75 View Post
    Although you agree it is the low side to connect the can to, are you still trying to connect to the fitting up front by the radiator? That fitting is the high side. Have you tried the other fitting? The high and low pressure side fittings are different sizes on purpose.

Shawn
    WHAT other fitting? You mean to tell me they put the one you need access to somewhere buried inside the engine bay and one you don't use up front IN THE WAY?

Got a diagram? Now I'm concerned.

OK, fact time:

Fill on the low pressure side. Check
    Low pressure side fill point is located __________ (fill in the blank).
    The 6Nm valve connection up front near the radiator is for _____ pressure (fill in low or high).

Thank you.

LP fill port is directly below the power steering reservoir (sp?)
    The port up front is the high pressure port.

As a general rule, look at the tubing size it is connected to. The small tube size is high pressure, the larger tube size is low pressure. Same on a home air conditioner. The smaller carries high pressure gas out of the compressor to the condenser to be turned into a liquid. The larger carries gaseous refrigerant from the evaporator inside the car at a low pressure to the compressor.

OK, how come they make it so easy to get to the high pressure one and bury the low pressure one? Sounds screwy to me. Anyone else?

It is the best to remove any old R134a and moisture from the system. But for DIY that is impossible unless vented into the air which is illegal. My recommendation for everyone is bring it to a certified A/C technician. Keeping the A/C components in working and proper order will keep the system running.
    [2002 V70 XC] Venetian Red Metallic/Blk Leather*33k+ miles
    -Hands-Free Phone Set, all packages except Nav.
    Turbocharger replaced April/2005 under warranty.

[1991 245] Metallic Blue/Blue Leather*175k+ miles my daily beater.
    [1994 854 GLT] *141K+ miles

Member of Volvo High Mileage Club and the miles keeps ROLLING!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast