• Multiple ETM failures

17 10.24%
  • Worried about My Volvo dying in the desert

37 22.29%
  • I have more than 80K miles without a failure

31 18.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Looks like almost 72% have had an ETM failure, many with multiple failures. So far, only 22% have escaped the inevitable.

Do I sense a trend here?
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Question Wrong Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Bud
    Looks like almost 72% have had an ETM failure, many with multiple failures. So far, only 22% have escaped the inevitable.

Do I sense a trend here?
    72% of what?

So far it is showing 46% of 41 people who have cared to vote, 41% is less than half the total number of voters(ie about 17 people, from nearly 3000 members on the board), not 41% of the owning population Worldwide, I sense your trend is a little premature.

Currently it is somewhere between 68% and 74%. Since only 25% have NEVER had a failure, that means 75% did have failures.

Or, if you add the number who had 1 failure and paid for it themselves, the number who had 1 failure and Volvo covered the expense, and those who have had multiple failures, it comes out closer to 68%.

I like my math better ...
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Default Take all this with a gain of salt

None of these "polls" are representative of anything other than a small cross section of those on this board and that is a very small % of all Volvo XC owners. However, there is little question that the ETM issue is a very wide spread one with 99-01 XCs but I doubt that this poll is indicative of the true % or even close. For example Acura has issued a transmission recall on the second gen TLs (99-03) for a problem that is widely reported on their boards and that Acura estimates impacts close to 10% of all vehicles. They still issued a recall and are fixing or replacing transmission on this very popular and numerous vehicle. 10% failure or problem rate is a very high one for such a component. In addition Acura is upping the power train warrenty to 100k. Nice job Acura. Live and learn Volvo. It's not the fact that engineers make mistakes...it's how the manufacturer handles it that counts. It doesn't have to be a 30-40-50+% failure or problem rate.

While this poll is interesting it is reflective of those who are experiencing problems. Those that don't are off going to the movies or playing with thier kids and not worrying about ETMs. Non the less....Volvo...ignore this at your peril. Toyota and Honda are eating your lunch with service and customer care as well as well engineered cars. I have owned Volvos since 1989 with pride and love. I want to continue to do so.....SO GET OFF YOUR DUFF AND RECALL THE 99-01 ETMs and make it right. You know enough with or without these polls to know you have an issue that demands such a recall.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Default 2 Replacements

My first Throttle module was replaced at about 50,000 miles. Dealer covered the cost.

Just two weeks ago I had to replace it at again at 106,000 miles. This time I paid for it. Cost was about $850.

Default Just went out yesterday.

Just dropped the car by the dealer last night. Will get it worked on by monday.

Ohiwish Guest

Default Two sents

New to the board here and I'll add my experiences for the records. Bought my '99 XC 2 years ago with 72,000 on it (lease return I think) I now have 94,000 and I have never replaced or cleaned this throttle module.
    Now with that said, I do experience problems related on this thread with odd idling and poor full-open accelaeration; the car runs richer than rich and lots of black smoke pulling up a hill.
    Only major issue was with the idler pulley helping the serpintine (sp) belt. Didn't surprise me a bunch it went south, price for the part; very surpising!
    Last note, I will be glad to add my name, call and complain, march on the capital, to help Volvo repair this problem. I also have an CHev Astro van and when the wiper modules went out, delaer said "wow, first one". Well, to shorten it up, there was a recall 1 year later to replace them for free. Seems delaers would not tell you there is oxygen in the air if it might cost them. Seems Volvo is about as thrilled to help the owners as well. Seems these modules had a bad solder joint and would quit whenever they felt like it. Everyone knew it, small shops repaired thousands, but took and act for Chev to admit it. NHTSB is also a big help for those that have not registered their failure.............

Stay between the ditches folks

Default throttle module survey

I just replaced mine (my expense) after a harrowing drive down I-95 outside Boston with my wife and two kids.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonring
    I just replaced mine (my expense) after a harrowing drive down I-95 outside Boston with my wife and two kids.
    Sorry you have joined our club.

Have you filed a complaint with the NHTSA.gov?? Have you signed up at DonW's [email protected]?? Have you called Susan Campbell (customer complaints) at (201) 768-7300 X1983 ??
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

Default mine went at around 80K. the car was driven quite a bit so it failed in year 3.

to all who question the validity of the sample, please keep in mind that this year (2005) should be a banner year for failures simply becasue all of the cars are easing up on their 80K mark. there are other facts that seem to indicate that volvo has known about this problem for a long time but hoped that vehicles, like mine would be ouit of warranty went the etm failed. i know for a fact that every dealer that i contacted for repair had the etm on the shelf. this is pretty interesting considering the cost of the part. this tells me that they all have replaced their fair share of the part.

now consider this. the system it replaced (mechanical throttle) would last for the life of the car. as a matter of fact, the only failures of cable systems are cable breakage or maybe throttle plate shaft bushing wear. moreover, the etm is hideously expensive to replace and requires a program change. the whole system is just bs and not in keeping with a car company that made its reputation on reliability.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast