• Worried about My Volvo dying in the desert

37 22.29%
  • I have more than 80K miles without a failure

31 18.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Queens, New York City, United States Of America

Default My etm also failed at 135,000 miles

My throttle unit failed with engine light, and idle reving, and car shutting off on me, I also took to friends who upgraded the software, and tried cleaning it, in the end I had to go on ebay and buy one, got it for $200 and change, had a friend install it for $150, and towed to dealer $100, and volvo software install $130. But don't know if I have reciepts, I might have the old throttle body unit itself, anyone think volvo will give me my money back for all of that ?

Default Hopefully

I would hope they would reimburse as you saved them (and you) a lot of cash. Normal cost is about 1000-1200 vs the 500+ you paid. However given that the ETM was from ebay I would bet they won't warrenty it going forward if they know where it came from. Good luck.
    1999 V70 XC Dark Blue/Taupe - Gas/Auto Trans. with Nokian WRG2s 205/65/15
    2002 Acura TL White/Tan

Default Is there a hack?

New to this group, my daughters car. IM a old 240 guy so all this is disturbing...

So has anyone come up with a mod? Can you swap out the TB with one from a 98? Volvo told me that I cannot perform a field repair. Even if I had a ne TB in the the boot and repplaced it in the field the car would not stat. I still have to go to a dealer to download code. This is not good. There has to be a way around this and as a collective I am sure we can.

No, '99-'01's use a fly-by-wire TB and they are in no way upward or downward compatable to any other TB. So many computers communicate to make this component work, one can not bypass it. That is why, even if you change the TB yourself, you have to tow it to an authorized dealer for the programming.

If you research a bit, you'll find a company that rebuilds your old TB, and since they don't alter the programming, it is supposed to plug right back in ..... Trouble is, it doesn't work right. Some people here have tried it and it was a waste of $300+ and a month or better of experimentation. They had to resort to paying the $1000 to have it done by the dealer.

Check out www.VEXEDvolvo.org for more information. DonW initiated this because of his concerns over his grand-daughters learning to drive in this inherently unsafe vehicle.
    Ex-C70 owner
    ---------------
    VEXED

At about 30K miles my dealer said the module needed cleaning. I paid for reliability. Volvo reimbursed when notice came out. no problem. Vehicle now has 110K miles
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant11429 View Post
    My throttle unit failed with engine light, and idle reving, and car shutting off on me, I also took to friends who upgraded the software, and tried cleaning it, in the end I had to go on ebay and buy one, got it for $200 and change, had a friend install it for $150, and towed to dealer $100, and volvo software install $130. But don't know if I have reciepts, I might have the old throttle body unit itself, anyone think volvo will give me my money back for all of that ?
    If you have all the receipts, YES they should pay everything except you bought a USED one, why in the heck would you do that on a part that fails by longer USAGE?
    Personally, if you still have the old one I would put it back in and let Volvo install a NEW one (free) but since your bills are less than a new one, even at dealer cost, they should pay but would probably not pay for another under those circumstances (buying a used one)

Quote Originally Posted by tranmkp View Post
    New to this group, my daughters car. IM a old 240 guy so all this is disturbing...

So has anyone come up with a mod? Can you swap out the TB with one from a 98? Volvo told me that I cannot perform a field repair. Even if I had a ne TB in the the boot and repplaced it in the field the car would not stat. I still have to go to a dealer to download code. This is not good. There has to be a way around this and as a collective I am sure we can.
    No way around this it MUST be initialized by a Volvo dealer.
    Are you not aware this part is warranted for 10 years, 200K miles?
    Here, do some reading:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...047c7de3231643

Of course a 98 won't work, totally different animal.
    98 is mechanical, 99 and newer are electronic drive by wire

Default Optical ETM rebuild

Guys - a couple months ago I came accross an ETM rebuilder, in the States I think, that would rebuild your own throttle body using optical throttle position sensors. They advertised maintaining the software key so that no dealer intervention was required.

Anyone else see this? I can't find it now . . .
    As fun to fix as they are to drive.

Just XeModex in Canada
    http://www.xemodex.com/

that's the one. Thanks.

Any experience with them?
    As fun to fix as they are to drive.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast