Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lightbulb The Answer

On vehicles with the new ETM the error message "reduced engine performance" usually means problems with the accellerator pedal, or the cables to it. It could be corrosion in terminals, poor ground, or just a bad pedal.

Default Reduced Engine Performance

I have followed the conversation about this engine warning message. My car wouldn't start, after turning over several times. The the "Reduced Engine Performance" light came on. I did the On Board Diagnostics, which showed nothing wrong. Ideas?

I had a power or charging system warning that came up on the screen, but didn't always last very long. I took a picture with my cell phone and showed it to the dealer, then they believed me right from the start. Turns out the alternator and dying and it was killing the battery. Both were fixed under warranty.

Smile

I had a similar problem with my 2005 S40 1.6 DS when my son hit his foot off the panel in the footwell of the passenger compartment, got all the warnings ie. abs failure, stop car safely, reduced performance, etc. etc. only to find out it was a loose connection between the engine managment system and the fuse board, pushed it back together, disconnected the battery to reset the engine managment and all was fine.

my just purchased an 2003 volvo xc90 and the 'REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE" warning was on and car started for 5 seconds and stalled out. an auto part store rep told me that the ETM maybe can be cleaned with a cleaning fluid. he quoted me an price for a new one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12