Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "reduced engine performance" warning light?

Today my 04' 2.5T suddenly lost power and the yellow "!" warning light came on. The message box read "reduced engine performance." I was barely able to make it home at 15 mph, despite flooring it. Turns out my brother in law's 05 T6 has the same recurring problem and the dealer hasn't been able to fix it (his actually died on the side of the road twice). He was told by the dealership that the testing mechanism for this problem hasn't been distributed to the dealerships yet. (?)

The dealer can't fit me in for another couple of days (ugh). I'm not comfortable driving it as I'm a mom who travels with an infant.

Thoughts? Similar experience?

IMHO you need to know, what caused the problem.
    Did your dealer connect the car to VADIS system and checked error codes? What DTC was stored?
    My04 XC70 ocean blue, 2.5T petrol, AWD, manual, DSTC, Nokian WR

Quote Originally Posted by angelabrady
    Today my 04' 2.5T suddenly lost power and the yellow "!" warning light came on. The message box read "reduced engine performance." I was barely able to make it home at 15 mph, despite flooring it. Turns out my brother in law's 05 T6 has the same recurring problem and the dealer hasn't been able to fix it (his actually died on the side of the road twice). He was told by the dealership that the testing mechanism for this problem hasn't been distributed to the dealerships yet. (?)

The dealer can't fit me in for another couple of days (ugh). I'm not comfortable driving it as I'm a mom who travels with an infant.

Thoughts? Similar experience?
    Could this be the first instance of an ETM failure in an XC90? I thought the ETM was redesigned for 02+. Your problem and his sounds exactly like a failed throttle body module/electronic throttle module. Was there any lurching prior to going into limp home mode?

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Vehicle is in limp home mode. Have it towed to dealer and get a loaner.

Thanks everyone for the responses. There wasn't any lurching before I lost most power. Interestingly, a poster on swedespeed.com said that his S80 did this a while back and it was faulty spark plugs. Either way, I now have a list to give the dealer tomorrow morning when they take a look at it. Interestingly, I took the car around the block and the error message is gone and the car works fine. Since it's happened so many times to my brother in law, I'm still taking it in tomorrow.

Oops. Meant his S40, not S80.

Exclamation

This happened to me twice on my XC70 2.5T. The first time the car was 5.000 km old (4 years ago) and my dealer said that this hapens when there is water or debrees in the gas.

The last time was a few weeks ago (165.000 km ago) and it happened twice. I didn't worry and I didn't go to the dealer. After that, I've done a 2.000 km round trip and no problems.

By the way, I'm not worried about this since I'm turning my car in for an XC90 in June.
    Ex-V70XC 2.5T MY 2001, sept 2000. Ash Gold.
    New 2005 XC90 D5

Had this on my XC90 after driving through a deep puddle, something which shouldn't theoretically cause problems. The car limped on for around five miles before slowly getting to normal. No trouble since.

Hello,
    This happened to me as well. Last time I had the car for service they did some modifications and drained the inter-cooler. Since then it has not re-appeared.

Ask Volvo to do this modification at your next service, it should not cost you anything!

Thumbs up Here here

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    Could this be the first instance of an ETM failure in an XC90? I thought the ETM was redesigned for 02+. Your problem and his sounds exactly like a failed throttle body module/electronic throttle module. Was there any lurching prior to going into limp home mode?
    Having just experienced a ETM failure on a XC70 you are describing all the correct symptoms for a fault ETM (Electronic Throttle Module). Just to correct LWW's description of lurching I would call it engine spluttering, likened to having bad gas or a faulty spark plug. If you have any problems with your car you should make a note of the time and date in a diary so that the garage can look back over the engine management system and find the correct codes for fault analysis.

Don't be fobbed off that they can't find anything, it will be in the computer somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast