Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Passenger Airbag Off

Just got my new 05 XC70, replacement of 02 V70 XC.
    Yesterday night when my 10-year-old petit daughter was siting on the front passenger sit, the message in yellow light on rear view mirror comes up saying ‘PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF’. When I drop her off for the Girl Scout and returning back home the message disappeared. I haven’t read the explanation yet in the manual nor I’m not sure if there is any, but I’m pretty sure that there is some kind of sensor which detect weight of the passenger, thou determine if it is an adult or child and turn passenger airbag off for the child safety. Isn’t it cool.
    Besides that I’ve noticed quitter ride, higher adjustable sits, little more power.
    I’ve already missed the cup holder on the center of the dashboard.
    Her: 2005 XC70 - Barents Blue /Graphite Leather/ Packages - Premium/Climate/Convenience/Booster Seats/Bike and Ski racks
    My: 2005 Silver Legacy GT Ltd. Sedan, 5MT

Exclamation switch off pas. airbag

As I just read in manual there is only one way to switch off pas. airbag - turn the key ( and this is option).

Wink Hi there in Russia

Hi there in Moscow, how the weather? Must be too cold to read the manual.
    I’m referring to MY05. Are you reading off the same year manual?
    Here is a URL you can read the manual online and use the search/find option to easily navigate through the manual - http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...70_01a.htm#pg8

In addition about cut off airbag sensor from the manual:

pg. 8 Occupant Weight Sensor (OWS)*
    Disabling the passenger's side front airbag
    Volvo recommends ALL occupants (adults and children) shorter than four feet seven inches (140 cm) be seated in the back of any vehicle with a front passenger side airbag, and be properly restrained for their size and weight. See also the child safety recommendations on page 16.
    The passenger's side front airbag is automatically enabled/disabled by the Occupant Weight Sensor (OWS)*, a system that monitors the weight of the person or object in the front passenger's seat. The system consists of a silicon-filled bag located under the padding in the front passenger's seat cushion, a control module located under this seat, and a seat belt tension sensor, located on the outboard side of the seat.

*NOTE: Not available on the V70R.
    Last edited by Len; 01-08-2005 at 10:39 PM.
    Her: 2005 XC70 - Barents Blue /Graphite Leather/ Packages - Premium/Climate/Convenience/Booster Seats/Bike and Ski racks

Cool pic of the switch

My XC has the pass air bag off warning in the rear view mirror which lights up during ignition, but there is no switch anywhere like in Forward's link. ...unless it's in a hidden location.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Occupant Classification System

Older vehicles with bo back seat into which to buckle your kids (read pick up trucks) had a key switch to disable the passenger air bags in North America.

The current trend in occupant seating in North America is to move to an automatic system which classifies the occupant and automatically manages the passenger airbag system. This Occupant Classification System will become standard in the US soon. The technology is fairly recent.

I am aware of systems that include 4 weight sensors (in corners of the seak hardware module), a seat belt tension sensor, and a control module in order to classify the occupant.

In europe and other parts of the world, apparently the keyswitch disabled systems are permitted, but not here.
    Andrew
    2002 Volvo XC70 Ocean Race Edition, #1/100 (past ride)
    '05 V70AWD, Sport package, Titanium Grey/Graphite (Retiring at 300,000 km)
    2004 XC70, Nautic Blue (picking it up tomorow!)

Default re your e-mail

Due to customs duty and different fees (totally roughly 60%) base price 49000USD.

Default Price

So if to add an options to the car it would be around $60 K. Is it?
    Here in US my 05 XC70 sticker (initial) price was $40,660 and I got it for $36,227, and the car is almost full loaded except few minor things . That’s a big difference from what you guys paying in Russia, even thou Sweden and Russia are neighbors. Is there any explanation as why?

Unhappy Price in Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    So if to add an options to the car it would be around $60 K. Is it?
    Here in US my 05 XC70 sticker (initial) price was $40,660 and I got it for $36,227, and the car is almost full loaded except few minor things . That’s a big difference from what you guys paying in Russia, even thou Sweden and Russia are neighbors. Is there any explanation as why?
    Your are right, 05’loaded XC would be in 60-65K range. Mine was 63100
    (I have expensive options such DTSC, cell phone, wood, xenon), I got it for 58K. Paid by cash.
    Why such big difference? Protection of domestic car industry. Same as in Korea or China.

Default Why XC70 then?

Hi there. I am originally from Moscow too. For this price you can get more vehicle in Russia if you go Japanese (Landcruiser Prado, for example). For those in US: Toyota does not sell this model in the USA, but market under the twin brother as Lexus GX470. With the current EURO/USD exchange rates european manufactureres are really hurting since they quote their prices in EUROs. Japanese automakers, on the other hand, price their vehicles in dollars. I am retracting my question if the XC is not your primary vehicle and is "let-me-see-what-Volvo-is-all-about" try-out car.
    2004 Volvo XC70
    2012 Volvo XC60 T6
    2018 Volvo XC90 T5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast