Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

forecast is looking great guys

I've spoken with a couple guys who've been up this week and conditions have definitely improved, and to add...

EXTENDED FORECAST FOR WHISTLER - BLACKCOMB.
    THURSDAY.. A MIX OF SUN AND CLOUD. FREEZING LEVEL 1200 METRES.
    FRIDAY.. PERIODS OF SNOW. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION 5 TO 10 CM. FREEZING LEVEL 1200 METRES.
    SATURDAY.. SNOW. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION 15 TO 20 CM. FREEZING LEVEL 1000 METRES.
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Goodbye Toronto (with snow) - Hello BC

I'm on Pender enjoying the good life (notice the water resevoirs are at a 100% level right now). Boat and house are safe and secure.

Heading back to Vancouver tomorrow (Friday) and will see you guys on the hill. The cell is (416) 587-3716 and email should also find me.

Boots and outfits have already been dropped off at the Fairmont Airport so hopefully this will all work out. Cheerio.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Hi guys,

Well, the time is upon us, and looks like we couldn't have chosen a better weekend. OK, well a couple weekends from now might have been ideal, but looks like we're going to be getting some more fresh for Saturday and Sunday so should be a great time!

The plan is to meet up on Blackcomb at Glacier Creek at 12:00 noon on Saturday. From there we'll ski together for the balance of the day.

After we're done skiing for the day (~3:30-4:00pm) we'll hit Merlin's at the base of Blackcomb for a nachos and beer, then plan our evening from there. For anyone who's going to be in Whistler but not skiing, please drop me a line at [email protected] with your phone number just in case this plan changes.

Just a suggestion but I was thinking that since we're all mobile, we could take a drive up to Pemberton for dinner. I haven't any specific recommendations yet so if anyone has a suggestion, we're all ears. Either that or we could have dinner at a Whistler restaurant, of which there are at least a dozen top notch places to choose from.

Then on Sunday we'll ski Whistler. I'm guessing some of us are going to be riding up from Creekside, so would make the best sense to meet at a central location such as the lightboard (near the Roundhouse) at a reasonable hour, say 10:00am. Again, we'll ski the balance of the day and then play it by ear from there.

I'll email all the attendees my contact information and we'll move on from there!

Looking forward to the weekend, going to be great fun!!!
    Paddle Surf Canada

And one more thing... cbob, would you mind bringing your FRS radio sets along? They come in real handy for the group drives.
    Paddle Surf Canada

Quote Originally Posted by coastal
    And one more thing... cbob, would you mind bringing your FRS radio sets along? They come in real handy for the group drives.
    That's a big 10-4 good buddy.
    Catch you on the flip-flop.

Too bad we don't have a convoy this trip -unless anyone is heading up Friday afternoon.
    Commander Bob
    V70XC 2002 /Nautic /Graphite/All the Canuck Standard Pkg. stuff +Premium Pkg. +Rear Skid +Rear Spoiler +F/R mudguards +Gibbons-approved Nokian WR boots +attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Art
    Perhaps I should retract my previous statement about the snow conditions for Calgary. This likely won’t sit too well with Mike.
    As it turned out, it went from +13 down to -11 just to shock my colleague who was in town for the weekend. Then the sun came out, and we had some crisp nights and slushy days with daytime temps about +5.
    Sure enough, as soon as we left, it went back up to +13 (6 degrees warmer than Vancouver).

You Albertans sure know how to stick it to us BC types.
    Commander Bob
    V70XC 2002 /Nautic /Graphite/All the Canuck Standard Pkg. stuff +Premium Pkg. +Rear Skid +Rear Spoiler +F/R mudguards +Gibbons-approved Nokian WR boots +attitude

We're heading up sometime this afternoon, but not sure exactly when as we're running a bit behind schedule... I'll be sure to keep an eye out for ya on the Sea To Sky

Quote Originally Posted by cbob
    Too bad we don't have a convoy this trip -unless anyone is heading up Friday afternoon.
    Paddle Surf Canada

Well, we're back. Another great weekend! Considering the very marginal ski season we've had this year, conditions were excellent as was the company.

Saturday had a couple new cm's of snow, but the rain and fog in the Village painted a pretty bleak picture from below... Skiing really was actually quite good but understandably, many decided not to ski that day, including John@CDN Rockies. Thus, I skied with a few friends for the day and then met up with John@DNRockies and cbob for a brew at Merlin's. We then met with the ladies for dinner at 8:00 and after much searching, finally found a restarant that didn't have a 90 minute wait.

After great food, drinks and conversation, we finished up around 11:30.

Sunday brought a touch of new snow and relatively clear skies with high cloud... A perfect day in many ways. I met up with John and his wife at 10:00am on Whistler. John's wife was expected back in Calgary later in the day so she left John and I to cover the rest of the mountain. I think we managed to cover most areas of Whistler, and even managed to get a couple off piste powder shots here and there.

Overall, a small but certainly fun and exciting event... Looking forward to this summer where hopefully we'll have a little better turnout!

Sorry no pics from this event, carting the big DLSR around just wasn't a reasonable option for this event.
    Paddle Surf Canada

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Update from Whistler

Had a super time skiing with Taylor on Sunday. Conditions were sunny and comfortably warm. It was an 8:30 to 4:00 day, with flat out effort on the slats. These old bones sure didn't move much on Sunday night!

I did it all over again on Monday, skiing with a colleague who used to be a racer in an earlier life. Also tried out Ric's Restaurant, one of Mike's recommendations. Great meal with appropriate service (spoke to the owner and let him know).

While it was a small get together, it was very rewarding for me personally. Had great time skiing with Taylor and thoroughly enjoyed Whistler.

And best of all, the Volvo is back in my hands and has a story to boot: I had left some plums in a sealed bag on the rear seat. While negotiating the hairpins a bit aggressively on Sea-to-Sky Highway 99, I kept hearing thumping noises in the back. Thought it was the luggage until hotel arrival confirmed that my new doors were adorned with purple plum remnants. 1st order of business was a thorough clean-up before anything solidified along with a hearty chuckle. DSTC worked fine, lads.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by John@CdnRockies
    While negotiating the hairpins a bit aggressively on Sea-to-Sky Highway 99... DSTC worked fine, lads.
    John
    John, YOU DA MAN !

Even more so, when you consider that there NO hairpins on the C2sky.

It was great to meet up with you and Taylor and the ladies for apres and dinner.
    I'm sure that a summer gathering will have a better turnout.
    Commander Bob

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast