Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Exclamation 2005 VolvoXC.com Whistler Gathering

OK, thought I'd start up a new thread about the Whistler Gathering which is fast approaching.

Dates are February 12-13, 2005
    Whistler, British Columbia: Widely considered to be the best ski resort in North America, and one of the best in the world!

SPECIAL NOTE: Our chosen dates coincide with Whistler/Blackcomb's Learn To Ski Week. Special rates on accomodations, and learner packages. Find out more here: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/learn/

As usual, we're going to keep this a fairly loosely scheduled event, especially considering the uncertainty of the mountain weather, but the general plan is:
    -----------------------
    Saturday
    Meet at Blackcomb Base II for upload on Excalibur Gondola.
    Ski Blackcomb with lunch at Glacier Creek
    Meet up a little later in the afternoon/evening for dinner/social in the Village.
    -----------------------
    Sunday
    Meet at Whistler Mountain's Village base for upload on Fitzsimmons Chair.
    Ski Whistler for the day
    Apres in the Village either right after, or shortly after finishing skiing.
    -----------------------
    For non-skiers, there's a great variety of alternative activities available for you to discover... snowmobile or zipline tours, sightseeing in the alpine, cross country skiing, snowshoeing and of course... SHOPPING! For more alternatives, check out http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/winter/

More details to follow as arrangements are made, so for now please post the following:
    • Your intent on participating
    • Whether you're skiing or not
    • Where you're staying, generally
    • When you're arriving in Whistler
    • When you're departing Whistler
    Also, please drop me a line at [email protected] with your real name(s) and contact information so we can coordinate the plans more easily.

Cheers!

Taylor.
    Last edited by coastal; 02-07-2005 at 10:05 AM.
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Thumbs up Good Times!

Great job Taylor! I’ll be sure to have Sai fire this over to those members of the XC Club of Japan who still plan on attending.

We’re currently uncertain of our own activity plans for the event, but it's unlikely skiing will be one of them. We do, however, look forward to hooking up with the rest of the crowd at the socials and welcome any further ideas for things to do other than the ones you’ve already mentioned.

Sounds great Art! January looks like it's going to bring us a ton of snow, so should be a great time regardless of what you want to do, that is unless you were planning on golf or cycling LOL.
    Paddle Surf Canada

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Whistler Learn to Ski/Ride Program

Count me in folks. Waiting for a confirming call back from Whistler regarding the learn to Ski/Ride 2-night package.

For those of you interested in the Learn to SKi/Ride package highlihgted in Taylor's note:
    Accomodation is at the Whistler Cascade Lodge in Village North which is close to the restaurants but still within walking distance of lifts. Cost for 2 is C$600 for a small studio (375 sq feet) which has a queen bed and includes a group ski/board lesson, one day ticket and skis-board/boots rental combo. The lessons are for beginner up to intermediates (up to level 3) with one instructor to 8 students.

The current rate for this particular studio room is C$260 (plus taxes), and a one-day ski pass is ~C70. The Learn to Ski/Ride package sure looks attractive in comparison! By the way, different accomodations are possible, but they exhibited little flexibility on the lessons/ticket and rent combo areas.

For the record - here are the details for Faye & I.
    * We will both be skiing.
    * Staying at the Whistler Cascade Lodge, 4315 Northlands Blvd in Whistler.
    * Will be in the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel (late arrival) on Friday, Feb 11th.
    * At the Whistler Cascade on Sat/Sun Feb 12/13th.
    * Expect to leave Whistler on Monday Feb 14th driving the XC back to Calgary. FINALLY, the car is making it off that blasted island!!!

John
    Last edited by John@CdnRockies; 01-04-2005 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Default Follow up.

You fellas are much better men than I am. I’d love to join you up there on the slopes, but an nagging knee injury just keeps me far enough out of form...nudge, nudge, wink,wink.

As crazy as this may sound, I’d love to give the Zip Trek Tour a whirl. There’s something visceral about the whole idea of swinging through the trees from a wire.

Still waiting to hear back from the Japanese contingent, but we’ll likely show up a day or two earlier so that we’re able to officially greet them at the airport before they push off for Whistler. We plan on staying with relatives and friends during the event so no other accommodation arrangements will be necessary for us. Whew, nice to get that out of the way.

Since we won’t have our rig along for the ride, I’m going to attempt to make arrangements through Hertz to pilot one their XC’s. Actually, I just want to fiddle around with the NeverLost® locator.

No confirmed departure date, but we’ll likely fly out of YVC on the 13th.

Anyone else from the PNW clan? cbob, Kazdog, ScottyC?

Quote Originally Posted by Art
    Anyone else from the PNW clan? cbob, Kazdog, ScottyC?
    I've put it on my calendar. I hope that my boss (V70 R wagon driver) will notice and not send me off to Europe or something around that time.

Business/travel pressures have kept me off the slopes for the past couple of years. Unless I can get in a few days conditioning before the Feb weekend, I won't be skiing.

Staying at home in Whistler.
    If I can get some time to organize something before the date, I might be able to host something during the weekend. It's difficult, since I'm rarely at home mid-week.

I can probably get home in time for a Friday evening meet-and-greet. Certainly looking forward to it.

Again, subject to my work schedule, I may leave Sunday night or very early Monday AM.

BTW
    Getting to drive around in the XC in the SNOW in Vancouver today.
    Ya gotta watch out for "those other guys" : no winter tires, no idea how to drive (in snow or out), no vision (no clean windows), no idea how to stop, etc. etc. etc.

Vancouver is HECK in the snow.
    ( and then there is Richmond, where I work, and all the cab drivers are from warm countries, nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
    Commander Bob
    V70XC 2002 /Nautic /Graphite/All the Canuck Standard Pkg. stuff +Premium Pkg. +Rear Skid +Rear Spoiler +F/R mudguards +Gibbons-approved Nokian WR boots +attitude

Default Count Me In

We have a condo in Lake Placid Lodge at Whistler Creekside that I have reserved for myself Feb 11-13. I can offer shared accommodation for a fellow XC'er or couple that do not mind sleeping on a sofa bed. More information at www.alluradirect.com/289. Also willing to provide transportation to Whistler. Check out over 300 owner direct units for rental at www.alluradirect.com.

I am in Vancouver and would be willing to meet the Japanese contingent, any other takers?

Cheers
    Kazdog
    02 XC Black/Taupe Premium Package, Nokian WR G2 235/60-16
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - fulfills desire for manual shifting

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Smile The Bars in Whistler Must be Great

It will be great to see you guys again. I think all of us have been kind of slow in terms of getting into shape, Mike. Taylor only managed one outing and I stand at only a couple of times. You won't encounter much competiton from me in any case.

At this rate we may all be bellying up to the bar early every day. I'm always willing to sacrifice myself for the benefit of our team. My feeling is that snow is much the same everywhere. Companionship with fellow XC'ers is what's unique about this sortie.

John
    Last edited by John@CdnRockies; 01-06-2005 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Sounds great guys, very much looking forward to seeing everyone again!

If this snow keeps up, we're definitely going to be needing our XC's
    Paddle Surf Canada

Unhappy Unfortunate Turn of Events

We received some disappointing news last night from the XC Club of Japan. Apparently a medical condition affecting one of the duo has forced them to cancel their travel plans.

In light of this recent information, my wife and I have now decided to forgo our trip to Whistler. We do so with great regret since the main purpose of this trip for us was to unite members of both XC clubs and engage a cultural exchange of sorts. The Whistler gathering would also have been marked officially as the first international meet for volvoxc.com and the XC Club of Japan on this side of the soil.

It was made clear to me that the two Japanese members were anxious to meet Taylor and other members firsthand and to hang out together in beautiful Whistler. That said, I’m optimistically hopeful that there will be a next time.

I'm convinced that this setback won’t affect the meet otherwise and know that everyone will have a fantastic time whooping it up in Whistler next month!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast