Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking brake

Smile Imported post

Since I'm completely new to Volvo's, could someone help me out on the parking brake adjustment procedure. Do you make the adjustment at the handle or at the rear wheels. Thanks.
    2017 XC60 T-6 Polestar Tune
    2007 XC70/Willow Green SOLD
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Default Imported post

Martin:

I'm hoping that it's self adjusting -- never thought to inquire about this though!
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

Still looking for a little help hear before I start ripping into things. Doesn't anybody work on their Volvos?
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Default Imported post

Hi Martin,

I think you'll find that the majority of owners here do not work on the cars mainly because most are still under warranty/service from the dealer. I'm at 52,000k of 60,000k that include service, so I'll be joining the ranks of self service shortly.

I'd expect for the brake to be adjustable at the handle but sorry, can't offer an experienced opinion.  
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

Default Imported post

My old SAAB's parking brake (I think it actually called the "emergency brake&quot was supposedly adjusted by reversing quickly and applying the handbrake fairly hard.  Self-adjusting sounds like a good idea, IMO.
    On the road: Black/Taupe Leather 2004 V70 AWD with Premium and Touring Packages, HU-803 AudioMax, and Xenon Headlamps
    Formerly: Box-Stock 2003 XC70 White/Taupe Leather with Premium and Touring Packages and HU-803 AudioMax (Dec 03-Jan 04)

Default Imported post

Martin:

I'm an avid DIY if at all possible and like to know as much about my vehicle as is possible. With this in mind I called my friendly Volvo service manager and had him read out the service info for adjusting the hand brake mechanism for the XC70 2003 servicing records online. I have listed the parking brake adjustment procedure as he relayed it to me as best I can describe -- it may contain some mis-information based on my understanding of what he said -- but I believe it to be reasonably accurate.

Overall parking brake system adjustment consists of two things

1. Hand brake adjustment mechanism. Remove/pullup the parking brake handle dust cover. Pull plastic access port cover off. Adjustment can then be made. The rule for needing adjustment is if more than 5 clicks are required to fully/securely apply the parking brake. Normal parking brake operation is achieved so long as the number of clicks is between 2 and 5.

2. Rear wheel parking brake drum/shoe adjustment. The parking brake drum is located on the inner side of the rear brake disc rotor and can only be accessed by removing the wheel. Once the wheel is removed there's a star wheel that can be rotated to tighten/slacken off the cable length to the shoe.

The Service Manager said that in general parking brake adjustment is done at the hand brake. Only go to the rear wheel adjustment if the adjustment at the hand brake doesn't provide secure parking brake control.

The Service Manager saw no reason why the handbrake adjustment could not be done DIY.

I hope this helps. (and now I know more than I did before, so thanks for making the inquiry)
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Thumbs up Imported post

Thanks Barry for the information and help.

Matt
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Default Imported post

Matt:

If you do poke around in the hand brake access port hole could I ask you to post back some digi pics for people like myself -- that would be most useful -- plus of course any insights you gain by doing the adjustment yourself.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

Barry,

I'd post pics if I could, but right now I'm not set up to post pictures. The procedure was just as you explained. Just pull/pry up the retangular plastic cover of the shifter. You can't completely remove the cover though, just pull it up over the shifter knob until the white triangle plactic piece is exposed. Once it is exposed, move it up and out of the way to get access to the 10mm nut. I had to adjust mine quite a bit to get to the proper 2-5 clicks of pull. Just don't drop your wrench into the housing like I did. I was a real b---ch getting it out. Hope this helps everyone.

Matt
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Default Imported post

Martin:

Thanks for posting back your DIY experience -- much appreciated. I'm curious to know how many miles you have on your car. This may serve as an indicator of when it's likely to have park brake adjustment attended to.

One trick to avoid losing your wrench/spanner is to tie a thin piece of string to it in such a manner that it doesn't interfer with its use. Attach one end of string to a fixture while working.

Did you use an open wrench or a socket drive on the 10 mm nut?
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast