Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For the benefit of "Nylon" and anybody else with an occassion rattle on acceleration, my rattle is gone. According to the tech, I had a clearance issue with a power steering line being too close to the body. Time will tell. I'm happy for now, but guardedly pessimistic.
    Last edited by lintbrush; 11-03-2004 at 01:28 PM.
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Default Dredging up old thread...

Came across this old thread and was hoping someone may have found an answer...

I'm driving my mother's 2004 Volvo XC90 (pushing 100K miles) today and am perceiving a very unusual "rattle". When the engine is under power in the lower range gears there is a loud noise that sounds like something banging around - like rattling a piece of rebar in a dutch oven or a cowbell made of 1/2" cast iron - that is regular, frequency increases as RPM's increase (from a stop about 4 times per second, very rapid at shift into 3rd gear), abates completely if I take my foot off the accelerator, abates once the vehicle is at highway speeds and totally disappears once the engine has come up to thermostat set temp.

Anyone have this figured out?

Have you checked out the exhaust system? There's a pair of hanger's welded to what I believe is called the intermediate pipe near the rear of the vehicle that suspends the exhaust system from rubber donuts. On both by '03XC70 and '05 S80 AWD they rusted out resulting in sounds somewhat similar to what you are talking about. If it is, there is an easy fix. The problem is so common Volvo makes a replacement bracket kit that fits over the pipe.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

I had a very annoying rattling sound when accellerating in lower speeds. After a couple of months I just had to solve it, it drove me mad

Went under the car and saw that a suspension to the exhaust was a bit bent. I recalled that I had an incident with a rock a few months earlier.

I took a lift and pressed the suspension up again against the exhaust. Problem solved. It was the one close to the middle of the car.

Perhaps it could be that for you as well, even still its not bent?
    You can try to see what happends if you hit the exhaust upwards as I do in the last video.

Just remembered, had some youtube videos that I shot for the purpose, in swedish because it was for svxc.se

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KbMY5R2uEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7MNPNfoGQ

Best regards Olof

The front CV joint in rear driveshaft is known to get hardened, no longer semi-fluid grease at milages around 100K miles/160K km.
    If caught in time the joint can be cleaned of old grease and the joint re-packed with new grease. If it has on too long the joint may be damaged and it is now available as a spare part.
    If the noise is consistent then it can be checked while on a car lift and the source can be determined.
    A improperly lubricated joint will make the rear driveshaft move fore-aft and the shaft will rattle. It often will be temperature dependent. It may be there when you drive off and then is quiet later or vice versa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12