Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Rattling noise while accelerating

I've got 1500 miles on my 2004XC and have brought my car to the dealer two times attempting to cure an intermittent rattling noise encountered only during acceleration. I notice it between 2-3k RPM (20-35mph) and it is clearly coming from the forward half of the car. The tech sat in the car with me and heard it and said it sounded like a clearance issue (e.g. - heat shield, etc.). Anybody else have any issue like this? Perhaps the third time is a charm, but I'm not holding my breath.
    2004 XC70 Silver/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default ABS Self Test?

Lintbrush,

Does the noise occur each moment when you accelerate or only on startup? The reason why I ask this is because the ABS system performs a self test which sounds vaguely familiar with the rattle that you are experiencing. However, the self-diagnostic test is only heard once each time on startup. It usually occurs at around 1800-2000 rpm range (20 kph).

I was plagued by this strange sound until a service tech pointed it out to me and told me that this was normal.

I also had a rattle in my 04XC70 that was driving me nuts. I was a rattle that was similar to what you might expect to hear from the dash speaker grill. I finally discovered that it was the small plastic document holder that is mounted inside the windshied on the drivers side. It still tries to rattle occasionally and I just push on it to shift it's position slightly and the rattle disappears. I can get pretty loud and annoying.
    2004 XC70 - Ash Gold/Taupe, Premium, Touring, Integrated Boosters, rear skid plate.
    2004 S60 - Ash Gold/Sand, Premium, Touring.
    John Deere GX-345 (main ride) Green/Yellow

"To Have Peace, Teach Peace"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom H
    I can get pretty loud and annoying.
    We won't hold that against you since a lot of your posts are very informative.
    2004 Volvo XC70 - Ruby Red Metallic/Graphite Leather, Premium, Touring, Bi-Xenon, Bluetooth, and iPod Direct Connect
    2011 Honda Pilot EX-L - Silver Metallic/Grey Leather

Thanks Art. I wish it was only one time upon startup, but it occurs randomly while accelerating. The last time in the shop the tech said there was a metal line touching a suspension component that he thought was the culprit. I went out for a test drive with him and it was gone. Now just 24 hours later the noise has come back to life. Sounds like there is something loose or vibrating down low in the engine compartment. Don't think it's the doc holder, but I'll check that tonight Tom H. Thanks. I'll kick myself if that's actually it!

Quote Originally Posted by tooberand
    We won't hold that against you since a lot of your posts are very informative.
    OOPS! Thanks tooberand. I needed a good laugh today. Besides, I'm not really that loud anyway.
    2004 XC70 - Ash Gold/Taupe, Premium, Touring, Integrated Boosters, rear skid plate.
    2004 S60 - Ash Gold/Sand, Premium, Touring.
    John Deere GX-345 (main ride) Green/Yellow

"To Have Peace, Teach Peace"

Lintbrush,

Next time if you hear the noise switch your fan to the off position (red led) and
    find out if the noise is still there. If not, you have the same noise as I have in my
    04 model.
    Please let me know

I've tested with AC on/off, sunroof open/closed, and hood open (but latched) so I don't think it is AC-related. I'll shoot you a message bluexc70 once I confirm this weekend. Oh, and Tom H, my document holder doesn't make a peep. Bummer...although I'd have to kick myself, I secretly wished it was that simple.

Talking

Hello Guys,

I have the same problem with my 03. In my next maintenance 60000km, I am going to ask my dealer to look at the rattle. I hear it when I am accelerating not all the time, mostly at low speed. It seems that the sound is coming from underneath the motor or somekind of muffler protection. It a little vibration and it is not the ABS self test system or the plastic parking holder. In a road trip I hear it in many occasion. But anyway I love my XC and I am waiting first the first snowflakes... but it is 25 celsius in Montreal today, October 8th..

Happy thanksgiving week end for all canadians
    Nylon from Montreal

Sounds identical to what I'm experiencing Nylon. Let me know what they uncover on your end. While attempting to troubleshoot, the tech was continuously distracted by the cargo cover so they ordered me a new one. Once it arrives I'll be making another appointment to try to isolate the noise. Funny thing is my car hasn't made the noise for the last several days. Perhaps it will be one of those noises that work themselves out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast