Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drivers side rear lights.

Thanks for the clarification Hoonk,I am not unfamiliar with wiring diagrams but this one sure had me beat. Yes,I did mean the upper set and I replaced the defective bulb,or tried to.It now turns out that there is some melting damage to the cluster itself making it impossible for the bulbholder to stay in place properly.I am going to pick up a replacement later and will report back on result.I also found some of the wires going into the harness with damaged insulation which I will deal with before switching on On another note this will be my last Volvo,too deep a money pit.I drove my Subaru for years and had to do nothing but routine timing belt replacement and though I love the car itself there is way too much unnecessary technology in it for my taste(or pocket) and I'm sick of the constant niggles. I will let you know how I get on .

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff69a1 View Post
    Yes,I did mean the upper set and I replaced the defective bulb,or tried to.It now turns out that there is some melting damage to the cluster itself

love the car itself there is way too much unnecessary technology in it for my taste
    The heat from the brake light bulbs melts the sockets and the upper tail lamps. Unfortunately the permanent solution is usually a new upper tail lamp.

Your original question was about your position lamp warning - are the parking lights still not working in the LOWER tail lamps?

As far as unnecessary technology you will find that ALL cars now have CAN bus systems and multiple control units (computers). They are needed to reduce the number of wires used and control all of the safety systems.

Have replaced upper unit and reinsulated suspect wiring,all put back together neat and tidy but no joy.Nothing on that side is working except the turn signal.Tomorrow I will try to trace the wiring back through the various fuse boxes but as I said earlier,I have power to the three relevant fuses in the rear fuse box. Looks as if I may have to go down to the local European expert and give him the key to my bank account.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12