Default Key repair adhesive?

Kind of an odd question. I'm trying to find out the best glue / adhesive for putting my switchblade key back together. I am now an expert in disassembly and reassembly of the switchblade key for my 2004 XC70, having done it multiple times. Why multiple times? Because I can not find a glue which will stay glued. The original head section with the metal key, push button, and spring, etc. failed. I ordered a replacement from Volvo, and now I've also tried one from ebay, which fits perfectly and appears to be the same type of plastic material. But for the life of me I can not find a glue which will work. 3M trim adhesive fails. JB Weld fails, Goop fails. Gorilla glue fails. Plastic model cement fails. They all fail from the torque my wife puts on the key when turning it to start the car. None of the glues actually bond with the plastic or have any dissolving properties on the plastic. Once they dry, they can be scraped off more or less cleanly. I know because I've scraped them all off.... Anyone?

(this question is now somewhat academic, because I just spent a ton at the dealer for a new switchblade key, but at least I'd like to have my old key be a reliable backup, if I can REALLY glue it together)
    Objects in closer are mirror than they appear.

Perhaps an epoxy adhesive like JB Weld?
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thanks Bill, but item No. 2 in the "no-worky" list above was JB Weld, I'm sorry to say.

Heat weld? Solder iron and melt the two sections together (not pretty but probably functional)?
    ---
    '04 AWD
    '05 XC (totaled in a rear end collision; RIP)
    '06 XC

You might give DAP Rapid Fuse All Purpose a try. It's in the cyano-acrylic family, but more of a gel, and works a lot better than the typical "super glue". If you hold it under pressure for 30 seconds it takes to set you'll be able to tell if it's adhering. Then 30 minutes wait to cure completely. Even if it doesn't work for this job, it's a great liquid adhesive to have on hand.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Thanks Penn, I put one in my Amazon cart for my next order, so I'll give it a try. Right now I'm testing some "Form a Gasket" which I thought I'd try as a wild card. It does not seem to harden in the tests I've done, but those were just gluing bits outside of a close fit between two pieces, so, different than the key situation. When that craters, I'll have something new to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgonquin View Post
    Thanks Penn, I put one in my Amazon cart for my next order, so I'll give it a try. Right now I'm testing some "Form a Gasket" which I thought I'd try as a wild card. It does not seem to harden in the tests I've done, but those were just gluing bits outside of a close fit between two pieces, so, different than the key situation. When that craters, I'll have something new to try.
    I've fixed four keys across my two vehicles. Two years strong on this "plastic glue" has worked. Essentially it's a two-stage glue in which you prep the surface, then glue it. Held up in a -40c Windsor winter and a +40c Windsor summer. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lep...ics/1000119752 Not sure if you have this available in the USA.. I believe it is a similar concept to "plastic welding" which is how our keys were originally fabbed.

You can find an aftermarket replacement fob for under $10 on ebay.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    You can find an aftermarket replacement fob for under $10 on ebay.
    This is what I did.. bought four for about $3 a piece from China and just carefully transferred the old transponder.

I know about the eBay fobs, I have one of those for spares. But to fix a broken key, you still need to separate the key halves where the metal key itself lives, and, if the switchblade function has stopped happening, you need to replace the push button because the bottom of it is broken. Again, the black plastic still needs to be glued somehow. I transferred my transponder capsule to a new fob head after painstakingly extricating it, but gluing the black plastic fails. Anyway, thanks for the tip on the LePage Super Glue. Something else to try!