Thread: Water Pump Location?

Default Water Pump Location?

I heard a very weird intermittent tapping sound - just started today. I popped the hood and got some light on it and I could actually see the serpentine belt tensioner (in the middle) moving in and out. This tensioner is the one with the bolt in it so you can use that tool from IPDUSA to release the tension on the timing belt. Needless to say, I shut down the car immediately. I took a short video of it with my phone this morning. The sound the belt tensioner was making was horrible. Anyways, I'm going to do a serpentine belt, water pump and replace the tensioners. I can't find the water pump though. I made a diagram of the belt - at the top it goes around the power steering pump, then down to the AC, up and around a tensioner, down around the crank pulley, up to that middle tensioner and then to the power steering pump. Where's the water pump? The Aisin water pump has a pulley on it, but not with a bolt in the middle. Any help would be appreciated. I've been watching every video I could find on YouTube, but none show my engine. Thanks. 2001 XC70 with 190000 miles.

Serpentine belt - multi-ribbed. Drives PS pump, alternator, AC compressor.

Timing belt - toothed. Drives intake cam, exhaust cam, water pump.

I think you're confused on what is a serpentine belt, and what is a timing belt.

They are two separate and distinct things...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (238K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (195K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (76K)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Yes. Sorry. I meant the serpentine belt.

Yes, I confused the timing belt and the serpentine belt (he said, hanging his head). Water pump gets changed with the timing belt, not the serpentine belt. No wonder I couldn't find it.