Default Shifter trigger stuck in Park & coolant flush question

So this morning was an unusual concern and made me late for work. Went to select reverse and the shifter trigger would not release. Popped the cover to see if it was anything obvious (cable loose or linkage come apart) and nothing screamed out that it was the cause.

I was parked on an incline (this is normal for day to day, I don't use the hand brake) and tried several start & stop of the car, locking and unlocking of the security system. I'm not sure how I actually got it to release but I'd really appreciate some help on what to look for as I plan on doing a coolant flush this weekend with the extra time off.

For the coolant flush, I have seen Walmart carrying Prestone 50/50 HOAT certified coolant in 1/2 gallon containers, has anyone used this/recommend or avoid this? I've been putting this job off as it seems harder to find the Zerex coolant and I don't really want to do the mixing if I can drop in pre-mixed solution that is compatible.
    Last edited by Kiwirst; 07-03-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: terrible spelling

Why not use Volvo coolant? One gallon is all that is needed. Mix it yourself. Easy to find in the future. Always compatible.

How much do you hope to save with your fruitless searching?

$5?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Astro14,

Not looking to save money, looking to save time for the refill.

Also hoping someone has seen the same issue with the shifter trigger locking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwirst View Post
    Astro14,

Not looking to save money, looking to save time for the refill.

Also hoping someone has seen the same issue with the shifter trigger locking.
    You’re making this more complicated than it needs to be...

I simply buy the Volvo coolant. Keep an old gallon jug (washer fluid, coolant, whatever) and mix it yourself. Because it’s Volvo coolant - I know the dealer won’t add something incompatible. I know that I can find it easily should I need a top off.

I’ve got a Volvo coolant jug with “50/50” written in black sharpie on top. I use it to top off if needed. One jug on the shelf. Same as a left over jug of premix.

When that jug is empty, and I need more, I already have my “mixing” jug when I bring home a new gallon of coolant.

Total system capacity is 8 quarts. So, if you drain the radiator, and the block (using the drain cock on the coolant pipe in the back of the block), you’ll get about 7.5 out (heater core will retain some).

You buy one gallon of genuine Volvo, mix it up. Refill the system. Keep the left over bit.

Premixed isn’t any easier than that.

Personally, I recommend the use of a vacuum lift for refilling. Gets rid of air bubbles and the need for burping or bleeding the system. Prevents the heat/cool/top off cycle.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I have no option other than to park on quite a slope because my small drive is about 23 degrees. I park facing downhill (towards garage) by custom ever since I had the connection between tank and filler tube rupture (and lost 60+ liters of gas) ever time I relese the shifter to select reverse I get a get a loudish complaint from the relese pawl. I suspect this is because, due to the transmission lock, there is a load on the transmision when the car is parked in such fashion. Tominimise this I 1/ put my foot on the brake. 2/ Release the ratchet button of the parking break (keeping the handbrake tensin by manual force) and only then set the gas and slowly relese the handbrake. I suggest respectfully that not using the handbrake is something you may live to regret and it is more likely to become inoperative due to insufficient use. The drum brake shoes are prone to delaminate since they are no longer riveted and the shoes become displaced instead of centered in the drum as in normal operation.

As for coolant flush Volvo engines are pretty bullet proof. In 5 different model ownerships I have only ever had one problem, when a themostat failed. Coolant is also just as important as an oxidation inhibitor. If you want to risk your heater core or radiator/oil cooler cut corners and use a substitute. Or like Astro14 says use Volvo.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver