Default Harshness/growling sound starting out in the AM

My 06, now at 175K miles, seems a bit harsh engine wise when first starting up in the morning, and when driving off from a start. I have eliminated the belt driven accessories as a cause, listening to everything with a rod and not hearing anything unusual. I am thinking possibly engine mounts. The top torque mount is not very old, actually none of the mounts are that old. I had noticed this going in reverse on a hill some time ago, but that is something I seldom do so I really didn't give it a second thought.

What should I be looking at? I love this car and I don't want to be annoyed by this!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Koala View Post
    seems a bit harsh engine wise when first starting up in the morning, and when driving off from a start. I am thinking possibly engine mounts.
    The solid rubber mount on the front the of engine (right side of car) will commonly sag or break and transfer the vibration of the engine to the sub frame, usually worse when cold. Easy to see the mount, with the rf wheel off, sometimes have to remove mount to see where it is touching the sub frame and easy to replace with a floor jack and jack stand. Also the hydraulic mount on the left side of the engine (front of car) breaks/splits. It will leave a stain on the subframe below it from the liquids that leak out. Use a floor jack to lift that side of the engine and watch if it comes apart. Harder to get enough room to get that one in and out, might have to lower the front of the subframe to make enough room, while holding the engine up.

Others want to or do replace the hydraulic mount on the right side of engine that bolts to the steering rack (even though they are not bad) but I never sold one because i never saw a broken/leaking one. It would be more of a PIA to get out and in.

Sometimes the round press in top torque mounts will move after installation and cause vibrations/noises. The cool blue plastic aftermarket upper mounts vibrate from the first day you put them in!

I tried one of those blue plastic ones, it remained in the car for the duration of the test drive, then in went a stock one! I figured that I'd hate it, so I ordered a stock one as well. Good call!

I did replace that mount about 30,000 miles ago, but I'll give it a look again. I don't remember it being all that difficult. Thanks!!

UPDATE - I think I figured it out. The engine mounts all look good, they are not very old. It is the alternator pulley malfunctioning, so I will either need to replace the entire alternator or get a pulley and a tool to change it. FCP had the pulley and tool for a little north of $40, but the alternator is most likely original and has 176,000 miles on it. I'm inclined to replace the whole thing if I am doing all of that labor to pull it anyway.