Default Car starts, goes into reverse and drive but nothing else works. HELP!!

I’m a first time Volvo owner. I own a 2004 XC70 with 198k miles. Since I bought it in October of 18 it’s had an SRS alert and no other lights. About a week ago my check engine light came on and a message that stated I needed regular maintenance. This afternoon I went to start the wagon and it did turn on but something was different. My gauges didn’t work. My rear windows were not functioning and my turn signals didn’t work. When I shifted into reverse, it did so with a hard shift. I shifted into drive and it felt like I was taking off in fourth gear and with an extra 600 lbs. Also, once in drive, it stayed in one gear. It never shifted through the drive gears. Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Well, sometimes electrical issues can result in a lot of strange behavior with these cars. As a starting point, check on the health of your battery. If it's old and dying, that can cause problems. Another thing you can try is an electrical "reset". Lock and unlock the car doors with your key fob 3-4 times. See if that gets things back to normal. You can do a "hard reset" by disconnecting the battery cables and tying them together for 20 minutes or more. But if you remove the cables, read the procedure in your owner's manual re: replacing the battery FIRST because there is a certain recommended way.

If things don't return to normal you might want to have the codes read, preferably with a VIDA/DiCE unit.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Thank you. I truly appreciate your recommendations. The battery is maybe 6 months old. I took the xc70 to the parts place to have the codes read and battery and alternator checked. Battery and alternator passed. I don’t know what scanner they used but I’ll make sure to check on that next time. I tried using my keyfob but locks wouldn’t respond. Again, thank you for your help.

Every used Volvo owner needs to invest minimally in a Volvo-specific OBD-II scan tool. iCarsoft makes one that costs about $120. The VIDA / Dice scan tool and software gives many more functions, but takes a more committed user to set up the software environment on Windows. As someone who made a living designing software products for 30 years, I am turned off by purchasing Chinese-pirated software. The iCarsoft i906 is very easy to use, is self-contained (no external computer involved), and has saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Your main clue is the Check Engine light -- there will be some more detailed info when you plug in a Volvo-specific OBD-II.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxchuck View Post
    I tried using my keyfob but locks wouldn’t respond. Again, thank you for your help.
    Is the little battery in your key fob dead? You can take the fob apart and replace it. If that's not the problem, then it sounds like some other electrical issue...
    You can try resetting by locking/unlocking using the little lock button on your door panel near the window buttons. Then there's the option of disconnecting battery as mentioned in previous post.

There's also a chance that your electrical issues might be separate from your driveability (transmission) issues. But if you've got a Check Engine Light, reading the codes is a good place to start!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Ok!!! Originally The check engine light came on due to a p0011 code. Which, 50% of the time, means you need an oil change. I took the wagon to get an oil change then I did a hard reset by disconnecting battery cables. I had the cables touching overnight and this morning fired it up with no issues. The money I’ve just saved from not going to mechanic I’m going to use into purchasing a Volvo specific scanner. Thanks to all of you for your insight and attention